Painter 11 reaction - Page 7
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Painter 11 reaction

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arshes Nei, thanks for your review! very kind and objectively!

btw do you feel any difference from 1024 levels with new pressure control of your intuos4? it's not yet clear for me, does painter 11 support 2048 levels or not... so i don't know yet is it worth to spend money for the new intuos4... i already read a lot Not very nice comments. oh... what's happening with the tech industry... the soft is buggy, the hardware is buggy too

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to teho For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by teho View Post
    Arshes Nei, thanks for your review! very kind and objectively!

btw do you feel any difference from 1024 levels with new pressure control of your intuos4? it's not yet clear for me, does painter 11 support 2048 levels or not... so i don't know yet is it worth to spend money for the new intuos4... i already read a lot Not very nice comments. oh... what's happening with the tech industry... the soft is buggy, the hardware is buggy too
    I'm not sure if you had this problem with previous wacoms, but no matter how I would press, adjusting settings, my starting stroke would have an odd...end...I guess you can say tail to it. It was especially annoying inking. This may have to do more with the surface itself, but I really don't get that anymore. I'd get crazy wobbles too. I always felt a bit more uncoordinated with tablets more than traditional. It became less annoying with practice of course...but it was always there.

From what I understand the added pressure sensitivity is supported only in certain applications (probably how they used the SDK at time of software release). However, this tablet feels more natural. It may be the combination of getting a larger size, pen weight, and surface but damn...this thing is a dream. It makes the older intuos feel like some kids' toy.

I also left a long review on Amazon for the Intuos4 Large http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...r_mts_prod_img

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arshes Nei, I just read your review on Amazon. Great read, pretty much sums up my experience with tryng Painter. As much as I'd love to use it to get a little freshness in my work, I refuse to support a shoddy product that even it's fans feel frustrated with.

Either lower it's price and admit it's hobbiest software, or leave the price as is and bring it up to the level professionals require. Hell, they could raise the price for all I care if they actually rebuilt it from the ground up and got it working well with a new UI, removed a lot of it's stupid quirks, dump the photo to paint features, and streamlined the thing.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Wilson For This Useful Post:

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood © Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wilson View Post
    Either lower it's price and admit it's hobbiest software, or leave the price as is and bring it up to the level professionals require. Hell, they could raise the price for all I care if they actually rebuilt it from the ground up and got it working well with a new UI, removed a lot of it's stupid quirks, dump the photo to paint features, and streamlined the thing.
    it's corel
    they're asking over $ 100 for $ 50-worth painter sketchbook, so it's a little bit naive to see them lowering the price on world's most buggy and unstable professional painting tool

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great Amazon review Arshes Nei - it provides a very good overview of the problems with Painter 11. I am not upgrading and will stick to Painter X for now.

To be fair to Corel, they have added some new features to Painter over the years: the RealBristle technology is pretty darned good for example, but it's scant output for nearly a decade of development.

I notice RobMac poked his head round the door and he says he is listening to the feedback. I really, really hope so because I get the feeling Painter's fanbase is reaching the end of its tether and unless Painter is properly supported by Corel in the very near future I fear it may be doomed.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to curtmantle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For those interested, ImagineFX (British Fantasy/Sci-fi illustration magazine) has reviewed Painter 11 in this month's issue.

I won't quote too much (copyright issues and all that) but it gives the product a 4.5/5 rating and says:

"...what's pleasing about this update is the large degree to which Corel has impelemented a clutch of long-overdue functions, clearly consulting and listening to the very active user community it has". Hmmmm...

It does go on to say that they "did encounter some technical issues..." but with the download version "there's very little reason for Painter X users not to upgrade..."

There's also a mini-interview with the great Don Seegmiller talking briefly about what he likes about the new release.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by curtmantle View Post
    For those interested, ImagineFX (British Fantasy/Sci-fi illustration magazine) has reviewed Painter 11 in this month's issue.

I won't quote too much (copyright issues and all that) but it gives the product a 4.5/5 rating and says:

"...what's pleasing about this update is the large degree to which Corel has impelemented a clutch of long-overdue functions, clearly consulting and listening to the very active user community it has". Hmmmm...

It does go on to say that they "did encounter some technical issues..." but with the download version "there's very little reason for Painter X users not to upgrade..."
    It's great that they've done such an in-depth and thorough investigation into the facts, not to mention long-term Painter users' problems and reactions. The review could so easily have been worthless ill-informed waffle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Official Corel Painter Magazine has an eight page review and not surprisingly was given the one other trouble free copy of Painter 11. Everything works and everything is an improvement.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was quite surprised. When I saw the review I looked at the rating first, expecting to see it as a 2 or 3. I was gobsmacked when I saw the first quote above as one of the main things Painter users have been complaining about (including myself) is Corel not taking advantage of the user community at all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wonder how long they spent in the program? Remember when first released we were rather impressed, but as time progressed the problems surfaced and increased.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not familiar with how fair ImagineFX reviews are, but it's not uncommon for reviewers in general to kiss the butt of those they view as being to important to piss off. I remember hearing a couple years back of some video game reviewers essentially getting fired for refusing to give good reviews to important advertisers. I won't say that is what is happening here, because I've not read the review nor know the people involved, but I trust reviews on forums from people in the trenches.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was pretty excited about Painter 11 until I learned about all this. I really hope they patch it up soon, but I'm not going to drop any money on it until then.

Well, this seems to be as good a place as any to ask... is it possible to buy old versions (full license, not educational) of Painter X for cheap anywhere? And if so, where? I've been wanting to pick up a copy for my macbook, although I might just go for one of the lesser sketching programs from another company for now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Locus: old copies of Painter at bargain prices are very hard to come by. I had Painter 5 and wanted to get hold of a newer version, IX or X and found it very difficult.

The best time to get X was about 6 months ago, as Corel was selling it at half price. Also Amazon was selling it half price just before Painter 11 was released, but I think that window has closed. This is how I got my version of Painter X... a lot of waiting and constantly checking prices until it came down to something I could afford.

Don't trust these "Full version - factory sealed" offers on places like E-bay. If it isn't in the retail box, then it isn't worth paying for.

Painter is worth having though. Artrage is an excellent app and its users will swear that it replaces Painter, but really it doesn't come close to matching Painter's versatility or power. For the price Artrage is hard to beat though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Locus: ...Don't trust these "Full version - factory sealed" offers on places like E-bay...
    Ditto.

Same with photoshop... Look for secondhans or older versions, make sure you will get a refund if it's not the real deal and make sure a secondhand is unregistered or deactivated from the old user's name before buying.

Some of these looks so much like the real thing they might even be scaled or sourced from corrupt factories but the serial numbers you get with it aint "scanned" or pre-registered so you have unknown useless keys.

----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Again, disappointed. To me personally, not even version X delivered. I very much hope Adobe will put out a natural media app soon: at least they seem to be listening to their user base. (Hey Corel, there's an idea!)

As for version 11 of Painter, first thing to annoy me -and not yet mentioned here- was when rotating the document at angles below 5 degrees (using Space-Alt on a PC), it snaps the document back to 0 degrees. FGS, WHY? While i'm at it, rotating the canvas also produces a box around the rotated canvas that is a slightly lighter grey than the background. Not important but just ugly.

Needless to say i experienced all of the bugs mentioned before, including all the ones that weren't adressed in version X or X.1. This release is a joke. Or rather an insult to anyone that payed for version X. So there I am, still stuck at 9.5.

I love/hate Painter too, but i never got over the fact that it was bought by Corel (who basically shelved it's development) and not Adobe. It shouldn't take more than 2-3 years for the competition to get some other product up to par (for instance ArtRage). I've been using Painter for the last 8 years (professionaly) but I'd throw it out in a heartbeat! Thanks Corel!

If this post seems a bit emotional: it's just my huge dissappointment. Again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love this program, but the bugs are driving me nuts. 15 years of working in Painter and I'm ready to jump ship as soon as another professional natural media software hits the market. That's sad.

Please make it run right....please, pretty please. Ok, I'm begging here.....

Last edited by DrowningCreek; April 20th, 2009 at 10:23 PM.
    Music is Hypnotic. It gets you in that spiritual state--DJ Qbert

www.drowningcreek.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was happiest with Painter 6 and I've been successively less happy with each 'upgrade' I've bought since then.

Version 9 was alright, but I kept getting hit with the 'painter poof' bug which would crash me to desktop about every 30 minutes. I got into excellent sequential saving habits during those dark times.

Version 10 has been much more stable for me — I almost never crash now. But the brushes and palettes that I use had not really been upgraded at all from version 6, so I don't feel like it was an 'upgrade' in the strictest sense of the word. I'm still using this version.

I was waiting for version 11 to come out and desperately hoping for a UI overhaul and some serious performance enhancements, but from reading through this thread and others like it, it seems like nothing of note was added except for more bugs. I suppose I'll wait for version 12.

It's kind of a pity, though, because I absolutely love Painter for what it does well, but I feel rather like the program is going backwards so it's difficult to recommend it to other people.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not surprised by the Amazon Vine customers giving it rave reviews. I also find it strange they got the product long after the trial version was released?

http://www.amazon.com/Corel-PTR11ENP...ews/B001TYYZCA

I know Mac users are having less issues though. I know someone fairly new wouldn't encounter as many problems either.

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood © Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic for changing photos into art

I discovered that it allowed me to choose Effects>Esoterica>Auto Van Gogh, so I could turn a digital portrait of my daughter into a portrait of my daughter as painted by Van Gogh.

hope those reviews make corel people happy.

by the way, I've never seen any complaints on painter's photopainting tools
    it looks like they've found an area to throw all the developers mad skills and creativity into
    who cares about bugfixing when they have a perfectly working van gogh phototracing tool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PainterFactory is all about photo2painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally, I haven't experienced any issues regarding bugs, zooming is generally slow, and dodgy, but thats Painter for you, brushes are generally slow also, even once advanced ghosting is off (wtf, a bigger circle slows my brush, brilliant) (I also refuse to have a tiny circle as my initial cursor, I enjoy the ability to see the size of my brush in real time, until I paint of course.)

Although I am using a Bamboo tablet, and I hear most of the tablet related bugs are intuos related, which is good and bad I guess.

I will be a painter fan until an equal or better program enters the market, photoshop is obsolete for painting in my books, and until that changes, Painter is my program.

On another note, transform tools and selection tools are the worst I have seen in any software package, buggy, laggy, transforming down creates stranglely coloured pixels in what I deem an attempt to 'blend' the object with it's surroundings, failing miserably. However, the marquee selection tools work great, if, once you have your active selection you use the hotkey to hide the selection (ctrl+shift+h) it removes the lag and jittery flashing thing that happens every click or stroke.

Will read your review once I track it down in this thread Arshes Nei

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hobbyist, children, suburban housewives, and gimmick minded amatuer photographers should be banned from using painter. Let them play with essentials while corel concentrates on the stuff that REALLY matters instead of cheap ass photo to painting bullshit. God every time I open a painter magazine I want to vomit...thank god for Imagine FX.

sorry for the rant, but lately I've found myself rendering 90% of my work in painter down to about 40% thanks to CS4. The tedious work flow just can't keep up with with the demands of work anymore. And I gets to me because I LOVE the painter's brush engine.

Last edited by AdventDawn; April 28th, 2009 at 02:18 AM.
    -------------
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
    [URL="http://www.facebook.com/mikonos[/URL]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bugs, you say...crashes to desktop, you say...
    I'll tell you something better - Painter 11 took my PC hostage ! Top that !
    Well, somewhat.
    My trial time is up, and i wanted to uninstall it, but instead, every time i try to do it - my PC reboots. Now its just laying there on my drive, deadweight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by McKertis View Post
    Bugs, you say...crashes to desktop, you say...
    I'll tell you something better - Painter 11 took my PC hostage ! Top that !
    Well, somewhat.
    My trial time is up, and i wanted to uninstall it, but instead, every time i try to do it - my PC reboots. Now its just laying there on my drive, deadweight.
    Sounds like you installed Painter on SP2? Usually crashing and rebooting issues were symptoms of people using Windows XP service Pack 2 instead of Service Pack 3.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whatever you say. Although i havent reinstalled Windows for 3 years now, maybe, and can claim with absolute certainty, that nothing like this ever happened to me before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Umm, you need to look at Painter 11's specifications. http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...3#tabview=tab5

Windows® version
    Windows Vista® or Windows® XP (with latest Service Pack)
    Pentium® IV, 700 MHz or greater
    1 GB of RAM
    500 MB of hard disk space for installation
    24-bit color display
    1024 x 768 screen resolution
    CD-ROM
    Internet Explorer® 6 or greater
    Mouse or tablet

XP's latest service pack is service Pack 3 -
    You need to make sure you're updated to Service Pack 3 in order for it to run. That's because Service Pack 3 contains updates for msi (aka Windows Installer) files. If you don't have the right one it starts to crash or cause problems. That has nothing to do with reinstalling windows, it's making sure you updated to Service Pack 3.

Now I sympathize more with the IT department for your response. I hear people all day that make statements like that while poor IT is banging their heads trying to help. Did you check the system requirements before you downloaded it and installed? Though to be fair they should mention SP 3 is the latest Service pack for XP.

The most current version of Windows installer is 4.5+

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Now I sympathize more with the IT department for your response. I hear people all day that make statements like that while poor IT is banging their heads trying to help. Did you check the system requirements before you downloaded it and installed? Though to be fair they should mention SP 3 is the latest Service pack for XP.
    To be fair, they should not release a version of program
    that is making your pc crash or go bluescreened for the only reason you don't have a winxp sp 3 installed already
    it's not that difficult to check the PC's specs before proceeding with installation and put a warning.

Not that corel cares about that, but anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have SP2 and I've managed to uninstall Painter 11 without any issues, it's not the main problem that's for sure, otherwise I wouldn't be able either.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, so i've looked around forums and found another person who says that when he starts Painter11 setup his PC reboots. And he has SP3. Make of it what you will.

Edit : found another guy that says Painter11 gives him blue screen when he tries to install it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ikken View Post
    To be fair, they should not release a version of program
    that is making your pc crash or go bluescreened for the only reason you don't have a winxp sp 3 installed already
    it's not that difficult to check the PC's specs before proceeding with installation and put a warning.

Not that corel cares about that, but anyway.
    Depends, because one of the reasons for the crash is as I said the Windows installer. Some people in SP2 have the latest Windows installer and didn't have a problem. (Though that's because they kept the computer up to date).

This actually isn't the only program that has the problem. A lot of current games also need the most current Windows installer and people have encountered problems.

Ir also goes both ways, if you ever read EULAs they are not liable if you don't read and install something out of their specs. Not just Corel, but about any product you get.

That doesn't mean Corel shouldn't put in certain things in their install, but at the same time a consumer should also look and match the system specs before installing. It's not that hard.

A lot of the problems he mentioned, when I asked if service pack 3 was installed they said "no" ...they updated their systems and it went away.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.