Art: Dominance War mini-challenge entry
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dominance War mini-challenge entry

Hey,

curious to get some feedback. This is my entry into the Dominance War mini-challenge. You got a week to do a general.

Any thoughts you guys have or constructive crits on ways to push it and make him better or artists to look to, let me know...

It should be a great contest. There are some really fantastic entries showing up on their boards and everyone posted their process, so it's an interesting way to feed off of one another.

Last edited by Brittons; August 1st, 2009 at 03:29 PM. Reason: would like to remove
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is a very well attended piece, if you want things to improve. what I personally was confused with is the blade thing on his back.

If it's a part of his armor is it supposed to be symmetrical? if so the perspective is off but with all the attention put into the character I figured it was something you did on purpose which is what confused me so much. other than that, personal picky things would be that your info and the logo pull too much attention off the char but i dont know the contest rules so thats all up to you. Goodluck with the end result

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool~!
    Good luck to you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool mate,

Good luck in the comp..I assume you will also joining the grand game
    Minor crit; his right eye seems a bit off...>
    the eyebrow seems to be going on to the nose (but the position looks good) The eye instead seems to be to low. (If you have time you could tweak it a bit )

Ps: Can be that it s just me that thinks the eye is somewhat off.
    Great piece >,

Grtz,
    Kir

_.`-> Choose Life <-`._
    Check me out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The elbows are too high.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Guys,

thanks for the comments.

Kvick: I agree with you about the wings. I'll try reworking them into something else that might work better for the piece and would improve the design.

IronBrush: I love your work. It has a really natural, "non/C.G" look to digital painting and I always love to see what you're posting here. I saw an entry on there that really looked like it could be yours.

Kir Nuyts: Thanks for the comments. I'll revisit that when I work on this thing again.

laurghita: If you have time, it would be nice to get a paint-over of how you think the elbow area might look more natural. Thanks for the comment.

thanks again for the comments. I'm bored of being a classical art snob and a friend showed me this contest. I feel like I've learned a lot from going through this first mini-challenge and I'm looking forward to doing a composition with a bit more to it than a single character. Any more comments are welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Where to start...

There are a variety of issues that need to be addressed here. I will start off by saying your rendering skills are there. I like what you did with the metal shading and reflectiveness. The hair is somewhat too solid in my opinion, but by and large it is convincing. The skull shoulder is probably the strongest part of the piece and demonstrates good lighting skills.

All that aside, there are several issues plaguing this piece. I had no idea what that thing on his back was supposed to be until I read through the other replies. Then I still had no idea how they could be "wings." If he's a general, then that means the man is there to do battle. Metal wings on his back don't really seem to serve any purpose other than to show who the opposing faction needs to kill.

The anatomy on this guy is always pretty far off. He has a massive, and I do mean MASSIVE chest piece, which I can forgive to some extent, but his arms are far too short and his head doesn't seem to match the proportions his chest would seem to suggest.

Where is the green light coming from that is hitting the front of his chest and hands? Why is it not hitting his staff? You don't necessarily need to show us where the light is coming from as just having a dynamic light can and will add a lot of visual fun to a piece, but you need to keep it consistent. The wings also seem to skip where their light is shining as well, and only illuminating the top of one shoulder, but not the other. The side of his helmet, but not his hair.

Finally, perspective perspective perspective. The wings are looking at us head on while his body is turned 3/4th degrees. The helmet also seems wonky to me with it's curve and doesn't following through with the flow around the far side of the helmet away from our view. The staff perspective is also flat to us, which really detracts from the action and tenseness. We have this serious looking guy in huge armor, and it looks like he's just kinda casually standing there with his staff.

I hope this helps and I'm looking forward to seeing some of the issues I and the other posters addressed. You have a strong start, but you need to fine tune it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Valkier For This Useful Post:

TMG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did a quick redline/paintover. Didn't fix proportions on the wings, but just tried to illustrate some of Valkier's points. Your rendering is alright, but you need to go back and focus on the foundational topics like anatomy, light, and color theory a bit more.

The edges of the wings that we'll see are going to be different. Right now we see all sorts of edges all over the place. Also, their shape in not consistent and the one on the viewers left looks too stretched out (didn't fix this in paintover.

Study proportions. The elbows typically fall along the navel line. I know you're going for "heroic" anatomy here, but the general relationships will usually stay the same.

Fabric flows. Right now it looks starched and stiff. Having it wrap back around him probably isn't the greatest idea compositionally, but even so, the fabric of a banner should still flow.

And as I put on the image, perspective! There are a lot of things about the perspective that need to be fixed. It's something you have to keep in mind while drawing, otherwise it's easy to slip up and forget to put a piece of the image in the proper perspective.

For the color, it seems like you're going for the red/green contrast, but that's something that has to be used very effectively to work well. It takes a pretty in depth knowledge of color and light. For a good example of how opposing colors can work well together, take a look at Ruanjia's work. http://ruanjia.com/contents.asp?ID=305 Right now this piece just looks muddy in the bg.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mock For This Useful Post:

TMG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

updated March 4'th

Hi Guys,

Damn... the criticism stings! Ouch!

Alright... moving on... You're right. Ouch, ouch, ouch... I really appreciate the time you took making a paintover Mock and Valkier for your frank opinion. Below is an update I did trying to incorporate your comments. Keep commenting and help me make this better. I'm sick of mediocrity and I'm really open to the help people on these threads can give.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's looking much better! I didn't mean to come off as harsh in my previous critique, so I apologize if I did.

It's not that I didn't like the idea of the wings before, I just felt you should give them more of a functional purpose. Even if all they are are these extra mobile blades he can use to slash people, they'd be fine. My main problem with them before is that they seemed to be purely for decoration. You should put them in and try to have fun with a neat design if you want them there. It's what makes a piece fun!

I like how you muted the red in the background a bit more. It's just subtle enough that you can pick the character out from it with the green hues.

The perspective and anatomy is also much much better now. I do think the arms could be extended a bit more because as Mock pointed out, the elbows should be about in line with the naval whereas yours are sitting just at the end of the ribcage. I do think the forearms are the proper length, it's the upper part of his arms that needs to be extended down to bring his elbows to where they need to be.

The symbol on the flag should be slanted to match the path of the fabric. Rotate just the sword and square a little and it will be fine.

I think what will push this just a bit further is if you change the glow color of the eyes to blue or even purple. The green is good, but right now he's looking just a bit too green. If you add in another color it will make it a lot more visually interesting and add some fun new lighting you can put onto the armor, which will in turn make it pop out a bit more. Experiment with it and see what looks good. Personally, I think a bright icy blue from the shoulders eyes would do wonders for it.

Again, very nice job on the changes you've made. Keep pushing it man! The whole point of these contests for you or anyone isn't specifically to win. You should just be trying for something you can be proud of and have fun with. Till then, we'll happily crit and try to give ideas to make it better.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.