Sketchbook: Mac Tire's sketchbook - updated with atelier work! - Page 22
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Thread: Mac Tire's sketchbook - updated with atelier work!

MacTire is offline pencil pushing blotter jotter Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some quick helmet doodles, neither are particularly original but they were fun. Mainly a quick test at drawing with mass rather than line (i.e. painted from blobs, not lines):

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MacTire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dessinateurimpulsif For This Useful Post:

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great man!!! both of them. Nice placing of the contrast in the character[and details] and great forms in the sci fi helmets. Since you got them at this stage, pick a textured brush and on another layer try to paint some brushtrokes with a value close to the tone that you are applying it upon. Just try it to see, doesnt need to be very visible, but because there is nothing in life that clean i think it will look more realistic.
    keep up the great work mate !!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dessinateur: Thanks!

kostas: Thanks mate! Definitely need to look into texture application, picked up a few things from observing the painters in the atelier that might come in handy for that.

-------------------------

Woah, long time no post. Mostly since the last update I've been busy at the atelier. I hit some serious snags resulting from some real basic errors and misunderstanding of values which really slowed progress on the last cast to a glacial pace. However as you can see that's since been overcome and I've completed that cast (though I still don't know his name) and have since moved on to producing a cast drawing of Bernini's "Constanza". The two full rendered figures were last terms two long poses, however, since completing them I've changed and adopted a contour based approach which has been exponentially more effective as I found out with the following two short poses. This method produces a two tone line drawing which could be called finished in its own right (as seen below), or used to form a really solid foundation for rendering on top of (as the flat tone and line alone can produce an illusion of form). Plus as an added bonus it's given me a chance to really work out the mechanics of line (though I've still a ways to go), which in turn has led to an instant improvement in my imaginative sketches (to be uploaded shortly). Also attatched is a skeleton exercise done over one of the aforementioned poses, a sketch for the "Time Warriors" Bloodsport, and my rushed entries to the "Bestmasters" Bloodsport (which I intend to revisit).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did another skeleton trace over the last short pose, really glad I started these. Working out the xray view of the pose is great for helping my locate the finer points of the skeleton. Also, unrelated studies and enviro sketches.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy meatballs this sketchbook is awesome : D Those figure studies look really good. Really solid rendering on them and your lines look really awesome. I'm jealous. Super cool stuff. Keep it up!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Papu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    see above re Holy meatballs! these graphites are sick! im really impressed.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Papu: Ha! Thanks Papu! I'll do my best to keep up!

Velocity Kendall: Ha! Thanks man! I'm flattered!

Quick update because I'd like some feedback on this little bit of 40k fanart in progress, just wondering if anyone has any advice specifically on getting the marine to sit better within the environment. I know the character and the background are at two drastically different levels of finish, but even with that, I feel at the moment that the lighting is a little inconsistent but I'm not sure on how to fix. Any other points that anyone would like to raise are perfectly acceptable too!

gah, not convinced by the perspective of the helmet anymore... the radio slot on top appears to be the culprit, but I'll double check.

Name:  raptor.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  320.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just recently finished my year at LARA, here's the drawings completed there in the last term and summer school:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the backlog of recent digital sketches:

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey MacTire,

Do you do the atelier/Bargue/Gerome method? (cast drawings, etc)

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    p sage: In a word yes. Well, only for the last year. I recently finished a year of study at the London Atelier of Representational Art (LARA), which uses the sight size method as the foundation of the work done there. The Bargue/Gerome method so to speak is the same really, although the only time I did any Bargue drawings was before I moved to London to try and get a sense for the method, although it does compare to the experience of using sight size with a cast of life model. Pretty much anything I've posted here since last September that's from life or a cast has been done at the atelier. The only problem now is trying to recollect all the knowledge I was exposed to and actually apply it to what I produce now... I can already see myself slipping, and of course with no tutors around to spot errors I need to be extra vigilant.

For a slightly more together view of what I did at the atelier you can check my tumblr here: http://www.tumblr.com/blog/conorburke

Just yesterday I uploaded the whole years work (with the exception of two quick drawings that weren't worth the upload) so it might be easier to view there.

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MacTire View Post
    p sage: In a word yes. Well, only for the last year. I recently finished a year of study at the London Atelier of Representational Art (LARA), which uses the sight size method as the foundation of the work done there. The Bargue/Gerome method so to speak is the same really, although the only time I did any Bargue drawings was before I moved to London to try and get a sense for the method, although it does compare to the experience of using sight size with a cast of life model. Pretty much anything I've posted here since last September that's from life or a cast has been done at the atelier. The only problem now is trying to recollect all the knowledge I was exposed to and actually apply it to what I produce now... I can already see myself slipping, and of course with no tutors around to spot errors I need to be extra vigilant.

For a slightly more together view of what I did at the atelier you can check my tumblr here: http://www.tumblr.com/blog/conorburke

Just yesterday I uploaded the whole years work (with the exception of two quick drawings that weren't worth the upload) so it might be easier to view there.
    Interesting. Thank you. I learned a different method, though it probably shares some common roots... less emphasis on visual exactness, and more emphasis on a kind of measurement and construction combined with gesture and the golden section/golden mean/etc. This was at a small academy (master/apprentice method).

I think there's value in many if not all systems, and based on what you're doing. Also thought that your stuff looked like it had been informed by the Bargue methodology.

I'll look through your blog a bit later.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a simple still life of a skull. It's a white plastic cast, but it looks quite yellow and bone-like here due to the warmth of the desk-lamp bulb, the bounce light from the yellow walls of my room, and my lack of colour competence. Oh, and the drawing is pretty weak, when I say drawing I mean placement, this was an experiment in working without lines, just starting with large masses of colour and working from there. Also, yes, I gave up when I hit the muzzle. Ah well, this is just the first of many renditions of this guy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here, have some gestures:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's something I've been plodding along at for too long. Need to try and bring it to a close since this was one of three marine sketches I wanted to render out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your casts are sick. I wish I had the patience to spend so much time on a single piece !
    Your last gestures are really elegant, a pleasure for the eye. About the marine, I like how his leg and pelvis area get merged in a shadow, and the lightning in its globality. But I feel like it somehow lacks a bit of mood. The problem is, you are way better at using colour than I am, and I do not have a clue how this "mood" could be achieved. Sorry about that.
    Anyway, your work is lovely, I look forward to seeing more. : )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shad-: Thanks! Ha, I think I have a lot to learn yet about colour, thanks for the input though!

Dragon portrait from today:

Last edited by MacTire; September 5th, 2013 at 04:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sketches:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there CA! Long time no post. Been extremely busy since the last post having started a Masters in Architecture. In order to maintain my sanity I've been regularly contributing to the daily spitpaint group on facebook. Here are some of the sketches, the rest can be found on my blog: http://conorburkeart.blogspot.ie/

All are 30 mins of course.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Members who have read this thread: 17