Thanks

CS4 or Painter X

I would like to know what you guys think is the better program for art.
    I have painter, but find it so frustrating some times. Not to mention it doesn't really have any effects for art. Aside from the brushes which are awesome. Now I am wondering if I should invest the 300 some odd dollars into getting CS4? what about CS3 is there much of a difference in the two aside from price?
    so any advice would be gladly welcomed as it could mean the difference of 300 in my pocket or 300 to adobe.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

http://global.thebump.com/tools/tickers/tt6b71c.aspx

Spaztastic's world of junk
    And The-SSG-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named!!!
    Realitychecks SB LakeLands SB Me,Myself, and Me again Vehkt's

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I think Photoshop CS4. Everyone has their opinions though.

Not to mention it doesn't really have any effects for art
    Such as?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    CS4 is so much more then just for illustration tough, there's a million things you can do in it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PieterV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Both offer specific benefits -- though, as they advance, the difference is becoming less of an issue. I'm actually still quite happy with CS2. If I had $300 to spare right now I'd keep it in the bank or pay of credit debt in this economy.

BTW, Painter 11 just launched. Has some nice features, but nothing I need to do what I already do.

~Richard

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rpace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Such as?
    filters, frilly stuff, really good photo shop effects. those kinda things... yes I know I should thoroughly think before I type. I love painter it has awesome brushes, but the filters and effects are not as good as CGIllust which is a very low type of art program.

also is there much of a difference between
    CS 2, 3, and 4 aside from price?
    Albert Einstein

Thanks
    CS4 is so much more then just for illustration tough, there's a million things you can do in it.
    Which is what I am aiming for, cause I hear they have some awesome effects you can apply to your art. I think painter X has them but it is anything but user friendly for me anyways.
    Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Depends also what kind of artist you are. If you were traditionally trained and have a painterly style, then Painter. If you did traditional but really like the features that the digital age brings, then probably Photoshop.

The reason I asked is that Painter is DESIGNED for art in mind. All that frilly effects you are talking about look cheap in illustration. Most professional illustrators avoid filters as much as possible. They might use things like Liquify and Gaussian Blur, but not much of anything else.

Also Photoshop is about 3x more expensive. Photoshop is so much more than its name suggests.

Get CS3 if you can. Same interface and everything. Just a few bells and whistles missing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you Rist. I do both, I prefer digi styles, conceptart. But I like illustrations, I do fashion designs so painter works great for that. but not so much for conceptart imo. i will see if I can find CS3 for a reasonable price on e-bay. thanks again.
    Albert Einstein

Thanks
    CS4 has canvas rotate which CS3 doesn't have. It also has click and drag for brush resize.

So yeah, I would recommend spending the difference for CS4, the smooth zooming and rotating is worth it in my opinion (the image looks as smooth at odd zoom percentages as 33% as it does at standard "halfs" like 50%).

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paberu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I guess I'll have to save up to get it then hmm, just means putting my want for an i-mac on hold for a while more
    Albert Einstein

Thanks
    I've always preferred photoshop. I worked with CS2 for the longest time and I got CS4 and I can't get used to the windows of the image automatically maximizing every time I open something up. I'm sure there's a way to turn it off but damned if I know what it is
    Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Straight Edge Ryan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some time ago I bought OpenCanvas and ArtRage. ArtRage is far more stable than Painter. It doesn't have so many brushes, but it's enough for me anyway. If I need to use ps-like opacity handling I just switch to OpenCanvas. Another good thing - both of them have free canvas rotate feature, with no artifacts. Its definitely worth to give them a try.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to aspenboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Straight Edge Ryan I don't have a clue about photoshop unless it's elements. which might be worth a shot to try before CS3/4. I also just found out that through wacom when you register your tablet they give you discounts on products and one was CS4 but it's still 300. better then other places. I can't really get a new art program now anyway, I just got a new mac.... first one ever

Aspenboy:
    I will have to try those thank you.

I was wondering does anyone know about elements??? is that any good for doing art in?
    Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 516 Posts
    I've seen a couple comments here that elements is ok for artmaking.

Thanks
    YAY... I shall put both on my PC and play with them.
    Albert Einstein

Thanks
    I like using paint tool sai, much cheaper than PS and nicer brushes in my honest opinion http://sai.detstwo.com/sai/ try it out at that link if you want

25. The Following User Says Thank You to GDonaldson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Try to get an education version of the CS4 Suite. Its around 2-300 Bucks and has Illustrator, PS, Acrobat and InDesign in it.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfeeras For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Well honestly, if you have to only chose one program, go with Photoshop, mainly because even if you have Painter, you'll need PS for output. For example, Painter doesn't have as good image optimizations as Photoshop.

I'm an avid Painter fan because I can relate to the brushes more than PS, though I can use both. Painter however, won't be something I use when I do web graphics. Photoshop is more appealing for the designer in me, and Painter is more appealing as the illustrator.

PS has the advantage because you can use custom brushes beyond the straight out of the box by adjusting spacing, jitter etc. You can also edit the image within the program to make sure it's optimized for web, print etc. Painter can be hit and miss with its image optimizations so even when I finish a picture, I still have to take it to PS to tweak it but it's blenders and brushes I love.

I also have less issues with stability with PS than Painter.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hmm now when you say photoshop, are we referring to CS or adobe elements??? I am completely new to that realm... as is obvious.
    Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spaztastic View Post
    hmm now when you say photoshop, are we referring to CS or adobe elements??? I am completely new to that realm... as is obvious.
    Elements is a stripped down version of Photoshop, some functions aren't available (also depends on the version of Elements). Now you could technically get away with a Painter+ PS Elements combination but you can also use Photoshop CS on its own without needing Painter. Doesn't exactly work the other way around with Painter, specially for printing and optimizing images.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    see I like painter, especially since I just spent a majority of the day and part of last night finding custom brushes off the web... then spent most of this morning installing them. I do want to get CS for the imaging, and editing abilities, painter sucks balls when it comes to that.
    on a side note, if any one wants some painter brushes let me know... I found a gold mine last night and would be happy to share
    Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rayk View Post
    CS4 has canvas rotate which CS3 doesn't have. It also has click and drag for brush resize.

So yeah, I would recommend spending the difference for CS4, the smooth zooming and rotating is worth it in my opinion (the image looks as smooth at odd zoom percentages as 33% as it does at standard "halfs" like 50%).
    The zoom quality is an option you can turn on in Painter. It is deactivated by default.

Painter has had rotate canvas for years.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Redmond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rist View Post
    Depends also what kind of artist you are. If you were traditionally trained and have a painterly style, then Painter. If you did traditional but really like the features that the digital age brings, then probably Photoshop.

The reason I asked is that Painter is DESIGNED for art in mind. All that frilly effects you are talking about look cheap in illustration. Most professional illustrators avoid filters as much as possible. They might use things like Liquify and Gaussian Blur, but not much of anything else.

Also Photoshop is about 3x more expensive. Photoshop is so much more than its name suggests.

Get CS3 if you can. Same interface and everything. Just a few bells and whistles missing.
    To add to what rist is saying, painter does have some cool bells and whistles, but if you get to know your way around photoshop, it's possible to mimic the traditional feel to a lot of the tools in painter, which in my opinion justifies the higher price tag of photoshop. i personally am a photoshop guy. Nothing against painter, but photoshop keeps me very content with what it offers.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

37. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i think CS4 has better support for 64bit OS', so it can make good use of RAM if you have like 4GB+

39. The Following User Says Thank You to FactorZero For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Depends on your style...

It truly depends on your style and workflow. I personally prefer the Photoshop interface and image editing tools......

.....until just a couple weeks ago. I discovered a few tools in Painter that completely rendered Photoshop useless to me for digital painting. They are identical in purpose, but Painter's brush performance on these tools must be 200 times the speed on large files, which I didn't expect from Corel vs. Adobe. I'm working on some that are being printed 60" x 75"! My Photoshop tools completely failed me at this res. The substitutes I found in Painter completely blew me away! There's no lag on these mural sized prints! (some other tools, of course, have major lag, just not the ones I like)

So think about what type of tools you use the most, and find comparable ones in each software, then see if there's a difference for you. Photoshop is just simply a better image editor with a better interface. However, for my workflow, I ditched it like a bad habit for main work, and only use it for post work now. Both have qualities that set them apart for sure.
    Last edited by James Thornton; March 3rd, 2009 at 08:19 PM.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to James Thornton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think you should find a way of purchasing the education versions of both PS and Painter. They both complement each other very well (for the reasons people have posted above).
    "Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    I use both. I mostly just use Painter for the Detail Blender. I can't get Photoshop's smudge tool to work as nice. And, it might be my imagination, cause I don't colour professionally, but I think Painter blends colors a bit better than Photoshop.

I think you should go with Photoshop anyway, cause that's what everyone uses, and even if most of the photoshop paintings all have that photoshop painting look, that's what companies like and buy.

Painter has a few annoying random design traits. Since I upgraded to 10, it seems I can't resize the layers window. I don't know why Corel decided that I wouldn't want to expand it past a certain size, but it's just like that. Photoshop is still the fastest and most efficient overall.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmond View Post
    Painter has a few annoying random design traits. Since I upgraded to 10, it seems I can't resize the layers window. I don't know why Corel decided that I wouldn't want to expand it past a certain size, but it's just like that. Photoshop is still the fastest and most efficient overall.
    Are you using Mac or Windows? http://painterfactory.com/forums/p/1206/4832.aspx#4832 You need to undock the Layers palette on its own and then drag the corner.

Thanks
    Have you tried the trial version of CS4 Spaz? http://tryit.adobe.com/us/cs4/photoshop2_b/?sdid=DOPEI#

Personally I haven't tried CS4 or Painter 11, although I've used PS from 7 to CS3, and painting wise don't notice much difference between CS2 and CS3. I'm still n00bish with it though. Really though, you could try to find CS3 at a discount price (since it's the "old" version), and upgrade later if you think it's really necessary.