Thanks

Trouble with black (keeps being gray)

I’m having a little trouble with painter lately. If I want a black background it keeps displaying as a dark gray. Maybe I don’t know enough of the program to find the problem but its getting really annoying. Even in painting black stays gray, and I’ll end up with a dark gray background and a lot of black strokes all over as if I have been erasing.

Little hard to explain but I’ll post a painting I made (its no good, so don’t pay attention to the painting ) one in painter and one touch up in adobe. Hope anyone here knows were the problem is or if there is something I could try. Its probably just a setting I did wrong but I cant find it any ware. Any help really would be appreciated.

Painter

Photoshop
    Last edited by Danu; March 1st, 2009 at 06:33 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi Danu,

I'm not sure which version you are using, but are you using color management in both Painter and Photoshop?

In Painter X, if you bring up the Welcome Book (Help menu> Welcome...), then select the Setting up Painter tab (second from bottom along Welcome dialogue edge, there is a link on that page for a Color management Tutorial.

Also, John Derry's pdf on Consistent Color (which I believe applies to Painter IX/X) here.

In Painter 11, color management has changed, on my own monitor (not calibrated), if I toggle color management by clicking on the third icon down (top right of Painter document window), currently in the off state black appears black, but if I toggle on, black now turns dark grey (sRGB IEC61996-2-1 noBPC).

I also see a slight lightening of the black when I toggle the Impasto Effect on (fourth icon down, to right of document window).

Color management is not something I use at the moment, but hopefully, something in the above will point you in the right direction.

David

Thanks
    Your problem its that you got a color manegement file opened, to disable it and look for true rgb colors, just click on the rainbow icon on top of a blue star all to the right on top.

The icon must turn black, so the color profile turns off, i work this way better, after all you are working on a screen, not on cmyk paper right?

Tells me if it help you out.
    There are no such things as bad art, just tight deadlines.

Thanks
    Beware that if you do this in painter 11 the color profile is still saved with the image and may look the 'wrong' way if viewed color managed. You can switch the default painter profile to 'sRGB IEC61966-2.1' to fix this. You must then assign this profile to all preexisting images that were originally assigned 'sRGB IEC61966-2-1 noBPC' with canvas > assign profile. The problem is with the noBPC version of this profile that painter defaults to (or the way it is displaying in painter anyway).

edit: The noBPC profiles may only appear incorrect in painter as they display fine in photoshop. I would still recommend fixing painter to display correctly to be safe.
    Last edited by m.c.miller; March 6th, 2009 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks for the explanations guess I pushed a view buttons to many. I’m pretty new at painter but this is a good lessen for next time.