Sith Lord for CHOW need advice - HELP!
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Sith Lord for CHOW need advice - HELP!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sith Lord for CHOW need advice - HELP!

*note, I did post this up in the SITH CHOW thread, but then saw
    the advice to post here for help since the SITH thread is getting huge!

I've starred at this far too long (all night). beginning to dread working on it.

I'm going for a calm, arrogant, right before a duel pose...one that shows power yet, she's at ease...

any help, insight, draw/paint overs would be highly appreciated. HELP! please...

right now I'm just happy to be painting again...it's been a year or more since I really sat down and digitally painted, sketched etc.
    These CHOWs are frustrating to me right now, but man they are the best therapy around!

my current goal is to just complete a CHOW...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    I use to be on the outside looking in. Now I'm on the inside looking outside...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The technique is very nice. However, the feet seem to be pointed in slightly odd directions, and the pose in general seems a little unnatural; Perhaps make her neck tilted to her side a little more to suggest cockiness, or have a less rigid midsection?

Also, I like the bouncing-lights effects from the sabers; the atmosphere of the picture would be stronger if that was amplified a bit more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i got the bounce light thing...was going to build that up later into the painting...

the pose is fighting me - thanks for the suggestions! yes - unnatural is right...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The lighting foremost could be improved. The piece is lingering in the midtones and needs more value shifts. I like the word 'tentative' in this context... In such a dark environment we would see much harsher dark shadows on her with contrast. You still need to define a clear primary lightsource. The red saber light will nicely play along as a secondary light once you have the primary one I think a light from above would work nicely while you darken her lower body accentuating the leg forms with the red saber light.
    I don't see any major problems with the anatomy (of course anything can be improved), but I am no expert Something about her feet placement in space seems off/unbalanced.
    A liiiil more space over her head would enhance composition.

--(-)|dE--

portfolio

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hideyoshi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some thoughts

I like where this image is going, good work JoeX. She has the confident look but to make it more arrogant I'd say tilt her head back so she's slightly looking down her nose at you. The problem I saw with the legs/feet issue is that the front leg is slightly to right and up visually but the main thing is the platform she's on isn't foreshortened enough. Her perspective is good, it's the platform that's off. It could probably be even more foreshortened than what I did.
    Your piece reminded me of a cover Adam Hughes did that I love and I applied some the same principles he used on yours. They're just ideas, take what you like and ditch what you don't.
    Lightening the background will cause the character to stand out more. Bounce light from the saber of course add great impact. Didn't think about it at the time but there should be strong reflections on the surface under the sabers. I thought the haze on Adam's piece looked cool so I tried that out. A cooler rim light behind her is a possibility. You might also think about some lights on the walls behind her and some kind of pattern on the platform could be interesting. Emphasizing different textures on her garments could be nice. I'm not sure if she has hair or not but if so you could think about having it sort of float behind her as if she's charged with the force.
    I hope you found something useful. Cheers

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thePoet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ThePoet: greatly appreciated!!! your suggestions brought back inspiration to that painting!!!

the platform annoyed me the minute I made it. Never noticed the perspective being off on it.
    I was going to eventually build up the ambient, bounce light from the sabers and make a strong reflection
    of the saber in the floor. Going for that shiny, slick black floor look...
    amazing how different the character looks with a brighter background. here I was pushing for dark...
    only to dislike my painting more and more.

My eyes need a break from this piece, but I think I will revisited it again and follow your advice!

thank you very much!

Last edited by JoeX; March 2nd, 2009 at 09:36 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm glad I could be of help Yeah, a shiny black floor would look great. If you want to push for a darker image that's definitely a possibility but you'd have to swing the mood a little different. You could try blackening all the background and have the sabers as the only light source which would cast everything in a blood red tone and cause her to be completely under lit. It'd give her a spooky, somewhat primal look which might be cool. I'm sorry you missed the deadline but definitely finish the piece, the form is there you just need to finesse it. Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ouuh! this is looking great so far! I can't wait to see it with the red lights kicken up a knotch. Here's for your pose:

One thing I noticed by obsevation when I was looking at my boyfriend martialarts practice, is that you'll often have your foot pointing at your adversary. Taking for granted she's at a 50/50 weight repartition, and that her foward leg is on her toes rather then her heel, for a more graceful stand, you're going to have the higher hipside on the left and will want to conter balance with the shoulders (now I exagerated in my green lines, but you see where I'm going). You could also go for something more aestethic by putting 100% of the weight on her left (our right) leg which will have the result of making it straight and the hip's higher side to be there, and then place her other leg even more gracefuly on the floor (since it doesn't have to carry any weight) in a more taunting and sexy type of attitude. Now I only drew the first option because the second would require a bit more work out of ya:

don't mind the green lines all over, I wanted to find a bit where your basic shapes were, I notice while doing this that the front leg was longuer to I ctrl+T it.

keep up the good work! She's lookin' cool.

edit: Also, having the right hip side lower kinda trust the torso foward in a more defying attitude. These are all opinions though, there's a milion ways to go about picking a pose xD but I though having a second opinion is always good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think there is some amazing advice here to follow, I was wondering if could add anything at all. But I was thinking, maybe when you've done some work on the lighting and pose, why not work on a faded reflection in the shiny floor? I think it would make a great addition to an already great piece.

Welcome back to the world of drawing. Its great to read that you are painting again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by shrunkendesigner View Post
    I think there is some amazing advice here to follow, I was wondering if could add anything at all. But I was thinking, maybe when you've done some work on the lighting and pose, why not work on a faded reflection in the shiny floor? I think it would make a great addition to an already great piece.

Welcome back to the world of drawing. Its great to read that you are painting again.

I feel very fortunate to receive this advice!

it's crazy, but I can see issues in other people's art and help, but I can't see
    the same in my own work. At least for now...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When you stare at a piece of work for hours it's a bit normal not to be able to see it with a fresh eye lol flippin arround helps though, but you probably already knew that xD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by freiheit View Post
    When you stare at a piece of work for hours it's a bit normal not to be able to see it with a fresh eye lol flippin arround helps though, but you probably already knew that xD
    I know steps 1,2 & 3, but not 4, 5 & 6... lol

thanks though!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.