Digital Painting Advice/Practice Suggestions?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Digital Painting Advice/Practice Suggestions?

For the longest time, I never did any "real" art. More or less I doodled crap commissions for easy dimes, but in the recent year, I've been struggling to really find myself as far as art goes. With much consideration to it, I certainly don't mean to make a career out of it, but there's still the drive to really ... pick up the pieces as far as style and actually creating something that I can be proud of (even if it's for a few hours before I begin to nitpick it to death).

I've dabbled in every style imaginable, so I guess you can say I've a rather eclectic collection of various pieces of styles under my belt, but not a single one I can be consistent and happy with.

In my hours upon hours upon hours of practicing things I want to draw, I still find myself slipping into bits and pieces of the various styles I've drawn before--or I happen to glance at another's work and fall into the immediate habit of trying to mimic the style because I like what I see--that's not what I want.

Moreover, I'm finding my biggest and most frustrating problem comes with "painting" images. I can get sketches, ideas, figures, everything down just peachy, but when it comes time to slather on some color I get flustered and honestly lost. Sticking to monochrome when shading is a nono (as seen in a portion of my current, sad attempt to paint something), but it happens time and time again. I guess you can say I'm a little "afraid" of color, and I'm not 100% sure how to approach methods of getting out of that old habit of pencilwork, lineart, color within, and done. It feels like a coloring book, and frankly I'm finding it more and more ugly every time I do it.

So I guess what I'm looking for is perhaps some input or suggestions on some decent "starter"/practice techniques when approaching digital painting. I feel messy and lost without my lines, and everything I try seems ...too soft, with no dimension. I feel like every style I know is clashing and fighting for dominance every time I try to color or draw, it's pretty maddening. Not to mention the perfectionist in me wants smooth, clean lines because I'm far too used to it.

An example (albeit a horrid one, this was more or less a piece for practice rather than accuracy, I know the dress collar and everything else is atrocious). Every paintpiece I do feels like this. Flat. Drag. Sloppy. Ugly. Not terribly dynamic in any way. Though when I do simple portrait sketches I'm...okay? In the face. Fabric can bite me (texture is a whooooole 'nother problem).

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Huh. Well I realized I should have put this in Tutorials Tips and Tricks forum rather than here, but I don't seem to be able to delete it. Sorry

Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by hmo View Post
    Huh. Well I realized I should have put this in Tutorials Tips and Tricks forum rather than here, but I don't seem to be able to delete it. Sorry
    Actually, no you shouldn't.
    Be patient, and while you wait for answers to your very general questions, do some searching and browsing.
    Quote Originally Posted by hmo View Post
    Though when I do simple portrait sketches I'm...okay?
    I recognize this. What was your old username, and why the new one?

Last edited by Elwell; February 28th, 2009 at 10:38 AM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Actually, no you shouldn't.
    Be patient, and while you wait for answers to your very general questions, do some searching and browsing.

I recognize this. What was your old username, and why the new one?
    Oh ok whew. And yes, I've been peeking around on various helpful threads since, soaking up some information scattered around.

My old username was Junck, I used that image as my former avatar. HMO (my initials) is typically what I go by. Junck just sounded silly and was considering using it more for anonymity purposes. Now I don't so much care about Anonymity.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.