new "Dante's Inferno" game...

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

anyone else get a load of this on Gametrailers?

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/45952.html

i did some light reading about the game on various sites and its touted as "a pound for pound clone of God of War.. down to the control scheme"

i don't think i've ever been so disgusted with a game for lack of originality, or a company for totally raping source material.. and the worst part is, i'd be willing to bet EA has plans for 2 sequels to it. for me, this was proof EA has hit the bottom of the barrel and is creatively bankrupt.

thanks, EA for cheapening both videogames an classic literature for money.. awful.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, I think EA has been doing a lot better recently. They seem a hell of a lot more creative then a few years ago when all they seemed to do was to pump out endless carbon-copy sequels. They've got a few good original things out now.

I know a lot of people really don't like the idea of this game, but I'm pretty indifferent to it. Inferno's layout for hell does make for a pretty good environment and EA aren't exactly the first people to borrow it for their own purposes. On the other hand, actually making the character Dante himself seems a little extreme, but SCEA didn't exactly invent Kratos either. This is basically just God of War as applied to Christianity instead of Greek mythology. It won't necessarily be an exact clone of GoW (there are other platforming hack-and-slash games), but I guess we won't know for sure until they show some gameplay footage. Until then, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I guess it just sort of seemed inevitable to me. I sort of felt while I was reading it that someone was going to turn the Inferno into an action story eventually. Subject matter aside, I think it looks pretty good. Honestly, I'd rather they twist the story in a completely new direction then attempt and fail to recreate it faithfully.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep in mind that God of War had its own "ancestor" in the form of Rastan Saga, a Taito Corporation created game. As for the subject material, didn't a different company make a game for the PS2 based on Dante's Inferno a few years back?

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I stopped using it years ago.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Zenithian Oh, and I am also a GNASH supporter/promoter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is odd that they decided to say "ok so instead of the story being filled with poetic imagery to better convey the abstractions on the concepts of good and evil to better represent metaphors of one persons revelations on the nature of sin, there's gonna be one dude with a big scythe. And instead of the main character being a simple exiled Italian, he's gonna be a guy who inexplicably goes into hell and decides 'yeah I'll hang out here for a while'. Also, we need to try to make him dress like a mix between a Crusader and a Persian for some reason"

Still I'm not opposed to the idea of this being a good game, I mean even if they were to rip off God Of War detail by detail God of War was still a good game so hopefully they'd be able to make a B or C+ game at least

Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Movenski View Post
    anyone else get a load of this on Gametrailers?

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/45952.html

i did some light reading about the game on various sites and its touted as "a pound for pound clone of God of War.. down to the control scheme"

i don't think i've ever been so disgusted with a game for lack of originality, or a company for totally raping source material.. and the worst part is, i'd be willing to bet EA has plans for 2 sequels to it. for me, this was proof EA has hit the bottom of the barrel and is creatively bankrupt.

thanks, EA for cheapening both videogames an classic literature for money.. awful.
    Actually, EA has actually been surprisingly original over the past year or so. They've released the awesome Dead Space, as well as Mirror's Edge. And they picked up Tim Schafer's next game, Brutal Legend. So I can forgive them one horrifyingly stupid and generic game.

I'm not sure why they decided to change Dante's Inferno into Dante Goes Into Hell and Beats the Shit Out of Sinners myself, but the game's being developed by the same team who did Dead Space, so it should at least be playable.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That main character looks absolutely retarded. Since when does "badass action hero" actually mean "walking fashion disaster"

Remember, just because you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect-Dale Gribble (from King of the Hill)
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Noooooo....not Dante Alighieris Divine Comedy...pleaso don`t rape it...please ....waaaagh....I am so filled with disgust. *spits out*

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

9. The Following User Says Thank You to corky13 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its already been done, what do you think Devil May Cry was about.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendigo View Post
    That main character looks absolutely retarded. Since when does "badass action hero" actually mean "walking fashion disaster"
    Oh snap!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure why they decided to change Dante's Inferno into Dante Goes Into Hell and Beats the Shit Out of Sinners myself, but the game's being developed by the same team who did Dead Space, so it should at least be playable.
    That's really my main gripe with the game- that and that they didn't even try to come up with a remotely different way to play/interface with the game they were just like "oop, we'll use the god of war engine." -it's the complete inversion of what that text is about. Dante didn't go down there to beat the shit out of Satan and the rest of Hell, he went down there and showed people... hey, if you fuck around in life... this's what you're going to get. it was meant to scare the good into people.. and this's a complete bastardization of that idea. and really, would it've been SO HARD to just even come up with a different name for the character/game and not have to deal with people being like "thats a horrible idea" ? -instead of misappropriating classical literature?
    it just makes me think, what's next? "Romeo and Juliet" - guy armed to the teeth killing all the capulets (who're mutant demons) for taking his girlfriend?
    but even more so, i dread to think that the possibility and likelihood of SEQUELS to this game, (because EA LOOOOVES sequels) Purgatory and Paradise? what the fucks arab ribbon scythe Dante gonna do? beat the shit out of God?? retarded.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh my god I can totally see a Romeo and Juliet game. Just picture it set in modern times, with 2 mob families the Montagues and the Capulets. Tybalt (probably called "Ty") kills Romeos friend Mercutio (probably called "Mark") in a gangland style hit and Romeo kills Tybalt in a drive by shoting for revenge, etc. etc.

How about Paradise Lost? Lucifer armed with a flaming sword fighting against the angels, then losing the fight against god and fighting his way out of hell. Then fighting to get to earth. That in itself is very similar to that part in God of War

Oooh ooh! or To Kill A Mockingbird. Scout fights through wave after wave of a police force that controls a racially segregated version of America because her father Atticus has been imprisoned for defending a wrongfully accused black man. Now Scout and her brother Jem must join together with Boo Radley, a reclusive mad scientist who, it turns out has been building giant mech armor in his basement for years to combat the new regime.

Seriously this shit writes itself. I should totally be a game writer

My Sketchbook

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Straight Edge Ryan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Think of all the people who will hear of this game before they even know of the book it was based off of. Its a travesty I tell you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have an idea: why not just play Another Bound (a Metroid Prime clone for the PC) or RosenKreuzStilette (a Mega Man clone also for PC) instead? I guarantee that you guys will have a great time playing either one of those. Not to mention that Straight Edge Ryan makes a good point.

My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not really opposed to the idea of the game, but damn the main character's design is something awful. Also, I hope that wasn't Satan he was fighting in the trailer, as I specifically remember the circle in which he resides was very cold and he was encased up to his torso in ice. That section, coupled with the illustration, was one of my favorite parts of the tale, and I don't think I'd like it much if they changed it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    straightedge... you realize that someone who works for EA is probably pillaging this thread right now right?? - 2010 will probably be the year of literature ripoffs now... god help us

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I look forward to learning about the hero's Dark Past as well as the plethora mature themes that this game will surely confront. Themes that only the edgiest games tackle, like Blood and Tits.

Also, I am lying.

Last edited by Zweit; May 29th, 2009 at 06:28 PM.
    ₪ "Yes, Gamera is powered by farts." -Roger Ebert ₪

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Zweit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hahaha, My life drawing teacher was hired to design the environments for this game...

22. The Following User Says Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge Ryan View Post
    oh my god I can totally see a Romeo and Juliet game. Just picture it set in modern times, with 2 mob families the Montagues and the Capulets. Tybalt (probably called "Ty") kills Romeos friend Mercutio (probably called "Mark") in a gangland style hit and Romeo kills Tybalt in a drive by shoting for revenge, etc. etc.
    Wait, isn't that the Romeo and Juliet move with Leonardo diCaprio?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh look, Blood and Tits.

http://kotaku.com/5272503/dantes-inf...ust-and-heresy

Blearg. For crying out loud is the director thirteen years old?

Last edited by Zweit; May 30th, 2009 at 05:34 AM.
    ₪ "Yes, Gamera is powered by farts." -Roger Ebert ₪

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zweit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Zweit View Post
    Oh look, Blood and Tits.

http://kotaku.com/5272503/dantes-inf...ust-and-heresy

Blearg. For crying out loud is the director thirteen years old?
    Lust: "You'll never get the girl, Dante!"

This is a joke, right? ...Right?

My knowledge of scientific biological transmogrifications is only outmatched by my zest for Kung-Fu treachery.

My Sketchbook

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Dethklaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i just sincerely hope for once that this game just plain ol' BOMBS... you get your weapon from beating up DEATH for christsakes... why the hell does he have to do anything else if he can beat up death from the get go?

oh yeah.. and Lust's pierced tits.. RETARDED.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Movenski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethklaus View Post
    Lust: "You'll never get the girl, Dante!"

This is a joke, right? ...Right?
    God, I hope so. Though I have a feeling it's not.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Only thing worse than that corny ass "you'll never get the girl" line is the fact that her voice sounds like the Wicked Witch of the West.

All in all I was unimpressed with their representation of Lust. I mean come on! this is the physical embodiment of lust in hell and pierced nipples are the best they can come up with? They're supposed to be metaphorical representations of the physical, emotional and spiritual damage they do to people. Let's see some straight up Clive Barker shit, literally skin tight leather outfits, skin being pulled with hooks, Barker's designs were always real good with mixing sexual and violent undertones to make some disturbing and memorable characters, particularly with Hellraiser. Let's see something that looks painful and disturbing! It's hell for chrissakes! even if they are on a 100 foot woman pierced nipples are just kinky, not frightening

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjacat11 View Post
    Actually, EA has actually been surprisingly original over the past year or so. They've released the awesome Dead Space, as well as Mirror's Edge. And they picked up Tim Schafer's next game, Brutal Legend. So I can forgive them one horrifyingly stupid and generic game.

Were'nt those developed by other companies and just published by EA though? I don't think you should award creativity for putting your name all over someone else's games.

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Interceptor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, for some reason I couldn't find a match in Modern Warfare 2 yesterday so I decided to download the Demo for this game off of Xbox Live. After playing it a couple times I decided to go ahead and revive this thread.

Well, the design of the main character is absolutely atrocious, there is absolutely no excuse for how stupid he looks. Also, the gameplay is a complete and total ripoff of God of War, right down to quick time events and piloting around giant creatures (apparently if you stap an animal in the base of the skull with a knife you can control its movements). Also, some of the cut scenes are done in traditional hand animation, these cut scenes are terrible.

These complaints aside, I actually had a lot of fun with the Demo. There is absolutley no doubt that the story is going to be retarded, but if you have to rip someone off, ripping off God of War is a good choice. By the time this comes out I'll probably be sick of Modern Warefare 2, and I'll need something to keep me occupied until Red Dead Redemption comes out.

If you have live check it out and share your opinion.

Remember, just because you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect-Dale Gribble (from King of the Hill)
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll pass on this one for the following reasons:
    1. I don't have an X-Box 360 and won't get one until they get better parts for it.
    2. The way the story is being handled is just ridiculous. When the guys at I-Mockery get word of this; they'll have a field day tearing this apart.
    3. I already have No More Heroes and Madworld, which are great games in their own right.

Of course, I haven't played God of War, so I can't comment on that part yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Honestly, this game just looks hilarious right now.
    Of course, it's a literary travesty that pretty much defeats the purpose of Dante's Inferno. But it might be fun.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,793 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Meh, I'll just wait untill God of War 3 is out.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD M View Post
    Meh, I'll just wait untill God of War 3 is out.
    Pretty much. I've been playing the first 2 for the first time in preparation for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Movenski View Post
    That's really my main gripe with the game- that and that they didn't even try to come up with a remotely different way to play/interface with the game they were just like "oop, we'll use the god of war engine." -it's the complete inversion of what that text is about. Dante didn't go down there to beat the shit out of Satan and the rest of Hell, he went down there and showed people... hey, if you fuck around in life... this's what you're going to get. it was meant to scare the good into people.. and this's a complete bastardization of that idea. and really, would it've been SO HARD to just even come up with a different name for the character/game and not have to deal with people being like "thats a horrible idea" ? -instead of misappropriating classical literature?
    it just makes me think, what's next? "Romeo and Juliet" - guy armed to the teeth killing all the capulets (who're mutant demons) for taking his girlfriend?
    but even more so, i dread to think that the possibility and likelihood of SEQUELS to this game, (because EA LOOOOVES sequels) Purgatory and Paradise? what the fucks arab ribbon scythe Dante gonna do? beat the shit out of God?? retarded.
    you have an awful lot of hate for something that has absolutely ZERO effect on your life.

I mean think about it. Let's assume you don't even bother to play the game let alone BUY it, which to me, seems to be the case based on your posts.

That being the case. Has the game affected your interpretation and your enjoyment of 'The Divine Comedy'? It's a video game. Move on. Many people are going to do things with stuff that you find to be holy and worthy of greater praise. They will shit on that stuff. You have to learn to move on. Maybe create your own "true to form" interpretation. What is I believe is simple. If everyone else keeps doing things wrong, then go out and do it right. Don't complain about it being wrong...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.