Sketchbook: jatherips sketchbook

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

jatherips sketchbook

hey everybody,
    im a young guy from germany ( so please excuse my bad english, still learning it!) who began to draw three months ago and got his tablet one month ago^^
    I would like to get some crits!
    here my first really picture (i hate (to draw) environments, so the background is a bit unsuitable)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jatherip; March 4th, 2009 at 03:41 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    new picture, again bad background (any tips)
    please criticize! wanna improve!
    Ps. i wanted to paint justice

Last edited by jatherip; March 4th, 2009 at 03:27 AM. Reason: update!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    new pics, speed painting.
    man, why dont u crit me? wath am i doin wrong?
    please, crit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey grüß dich

srry das ich in deutsch schreibe aber english kann ich kaum.
    ähm aller anfang ist schwer man merckt das du noch nicht so viel gefühl für die menschliche anatomy hast ich würde dir empfehlen das du dir einige bücher von bridgman besorgst bei amazon die sind nicht so teuer und ich finde sie sehr gut.

das ist alles was ich dazu sagen kann und mach weiter so das ist das wichtigste.

mfg gliederpuppe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gliederpuppe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey....your faces don't look like Golems face at all..

The 'Justice' artwork is my favourite. You might think I'm mad...but I like the face the most of this image. It has a calm feel to it. Like she knows what it good and what is not. You nailed it totally As for the rest. The props she is carrying looks good. I like how you're able to show it's made from some kind of metal. Good job on that. Although there are things I like on this particular piece, it need some work too. For instance the proportions on her body seems a little off. Her body above her waist is too long which makes her legs look pretty short. One thing I also miss, and I know it's hard to achieve..., is volume. She looks far to skinny to be able to walk and carry those props. I added a small paint over.

Your background looks bad because nothing is happening. It's just the same being repeated all over again and leading into nothingness. It sure is a good exercise in light and shadow if you do a background like this. But it doesn't add much to the character. There a great sense of depth but I tend to look to the vanishing point rather than your character.

I think it would have been better to look at the character first and think where she would be. Now she is in an empty room. Does that room say or had anything to do with justice? You think about that for a bit. A character tends to look stronger if it in shown on an empty background. That way the viewer has to focus on the character rather than look around it and see what is going on.

Don't get me wrong. If you are really drawing only three months you are improving greatly. I'm just trying to help you along the way.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LostFayth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man, lostlimeturtle, many thanks to u (and of course to gliederpuppe)
    oh, and i meaned gollum from lord of the rings, not golem
    update!
    some mummy mage concept

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe I ment his as well, but I don't know how to write his name.

See how a character on an empty background forced you to look at him. This one is actually really good drawn. The only flaw I can detect by looking at it for a short period of time is his left arm. There is something awkward the way it's bent up. It looks like it's broken. I know it's a skeleton in cloth (mummy xD) but it just doesn't feel right. Also, take a second look at his hand doing the fire-thingy. It's hard to read where his fingers are and it's adding another awkward feeling to the arm. I think it's the hand that is influencing the twist of the arm that makes it look awkward. Try do define the fingers a bit better.

Well done and nice colour scheme.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey!

I agree with Lostlimeturtle. The mummy looks good! Good concept and all, but the hand needs to be fixed, search up some good hand poses and draw!

Anyway keep up the good work! wanna see more from you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    many thanks to you, guys, its so amazing to get constructive critisim!
    and, because today i had alot of time, another pice
    (somethings wrong with her belly, but what???)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you for stoppin by,

nice ideas and panting in here! work mor on your anatomy to upgreat you skills. do more studies! i know this sucks but it helps defently!!

stay hard!

cheers late

Searching for female mentor! ... will pay with love.

Website COMING SOON!

NEW Sketchbook

Gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    how should i practize anatomy and poses? from reference or from mind?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the way you did the metal in the last one. Also the concept is really nice and I love her boots (even though you perhaps could consider about making her feet a bit bigger).

And about that belly, I just think that the belts aren't crossing each other in the middle of the belly but more like in the right side of her. Also the buckle isn't in the middle. I think it would be perhaps more like this.
    jatherips sketchbook

Hmm.. And practicing is also a good thing to do. And I think it's more useful if you use references. For example those are quite good. Just remember to read the stock rules. http://faestock.deviantart.com/gallery/

"Not all those who wander
    are lost"
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

MY JOURNEY(SKETCHBOOK)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update:
    sketch for a female sith lord (i know im too late, but its a good practice anyway^^)
    I fear she's too skinny again, perhaps im very much influenced by todays bad beauty ideal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update, quick half-futuristic soldier-sketch!
    ps: thanks for your helpful crits!

Last edited by jatherip; March 18th, 2009 at 03:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks a lot for the visit in my sb, i appreciate it a lot.
    You have some nice things in here. keep working that brush

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there Jatherip, thanks for peeking into my sketchbook!
    First off I want to tell you that no matter what I say, this is one hell of a sketchbook for a guy who draws only three months. Great thing is that most of your mistakes are there simply from the lack of expertise with anatomy and possibilities of a tablet. Means bright future for you!

to business:
    1) Nice atmosphere man! There are some obvious issues with an anatomy there though. Notice that when the head of a character moves up, it looks smaller. So when you´re doing the rest of a body, imagine that the head is looking straight to you, and you´ll have better look at how big the body should be (bigger in this piece). Watch out for the attachment of the limbs. Arms look kinda dislocated. Also try to put your open hand on your own face. It can cover almost all of your face right? This guy however can´t do this, because his hands are too small. The same goes for feet. Guy like this should have bigger feet .

2) You´re showing here that you know something about materials and shading. I find that strongest thing in this piece is the leather visor beneath the cape. The rest of the face looks nice, did you had a reference for that? The metal is also nicely done but I find it maybe too simplyfied, more like it belongs into a comic drawing (while the head is rather complex). Proportions look much better than in the first picture. The cape looks a bit odd though like its made from a much heavier material than cloth is (around the shoulder and where it touches ground). This way it looks like somewhat rubbery. I think the background is okay, the light gives it nice feel. I would change the perspective however, simply because it looks now that she was coming straight all the way, and now she turned slightly and walks towards the "camera". So I would do it like she comes all the way straight (perspective right behind her), or i would have taken her from diffirent angle so she is still coming straight, but the "camera" is more on the side. But this is your most finished work and I also like it the most.

3) There is one thing about the full armor and its this: Beginers use it alot. Why is that? Mostly because it covers all anatomy, "hiding" its mistakes. Saves time right? But what you save on anatomy, you´ll find again when checking anatomical mistakes underneath the armor and of course functionality of it. Also shading every metal part on it is a pain in the ass. I don´t want to restrict you or anything, I would just suggest to focus now on plain clothing or naked bodies and leave this for later. It came out rather nice, but I can´t seem to define light sources in it.

4) How long you spent on it? Shadows seem okay. Don´t rush the detailed parts. Painting should be even in details, so when you overdo one part and leave the others too plain, it will look fuzzy or uneven. This is a hard thing to do and I´m having problems with it too. Just wanted to point it out. Also try horizontal turn of your painting. Flipping helps you notice mistakes of many sorts as you see it from diffirent perspective (this time the problem is in the head). Next time try to use bigger brush on the hair and add some separate hair on the end (because the hair in real life looks more like a solid thing and you notice its hair only on some places, mostly on the ends and when shading and light reflect separate hair. Its hard to describe but try to figure it out from this http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1237767556 or find some tutorials on that subject.

5) Matrials! I love how you did them in this piece. Cape full of holes and some belts add to the good feeling. Colors are nice. Some certain places are overdone in detail though. Oh man I love glowing balls too, trust me on that. But the detail on the end of the staff lures your eyes from the character itself (creating focal point). Just darken the glowing ball and its gonna be much better I think. Or make another layer and add detail to the mummy. But good job on this one, thats for sure. Great work on feet btw.

6) There are some minor proportion issues on this one. Mainly the feet are really way too small. Her left hand feels weird too. Neck. Adressed issue with her belly and the legs are a bit too small too. Otherwise I think you´re getting better in anatomy. Also the metal looks more realistic. Think about choosing diffirent palette for skin though. I think this is way too desaturated. But then again thats a subjective thing.

7) Well do those breats bigger and you´re on your way to manga . No, really the head is too big and legs way too small. Cover your characters in the biggest, baddest, longest robes, but the anatomy is still there underneath. Same suggestion like the armor. I see you were trying to make the hands work, but they´re still small, and look weird. Try to draw your own hands, gesticulating, or holding some items, and you´ll see improvement in no time.

8- I´m afraid that this one failed to impress me in any way other than that guy is holding a saw. Way too fuzzy and no description on what part of the armor is what.

9) Oh man but this is nice. The land is really generic, but I like the colors. You should do more enviros! Try doing some from photos.

Then there is one thing that applies for everything and that is this:
    a) watch your flow (if you´re working in a PS). The bigger the flow is, the more defined the brush will be. Try to work in the biggest one possible and then smooth out transitions where needed. This should help you create less fuzzy images (specially when doing shading).
    b) work from the biggest possible brushes in the beginning. Start work with smaller only when you feel that it is impossible to do your actuall level of detail with them. Use the smallest ones only on finishing jobs (uber details, ends of hair, eye details and such). Speeds up your work process, helps in defining silhouettes, makes your works more even in details.
    c) try working in bigger resolutions (you can make em smaller whenever you like, so why not make use of it). Flip your picture a few times while working. Go further from your painting from time to time (or zoom out in digital).

Whoa, this is a long post. Well, you wanted critiques right?
    Anyway, work, work, work. You have some nice progress for a three months. And the best thing is it can be only better! Good luck.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smile For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update!an envi (ok, it was more a brush experiment) and i saw lotr yesterday, an thought these urukhai are quiet cool, but anyhow my pic sucks, would appreciate some crits!

@ Mr smile: wouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuwh! man, wath a crit!!!!! couldnt give you enough thanks! all theses things... man! thats awsome! you rock! Ill try do use every single tip!!!!

Last edited by jatherip; March 27th, 2009 at 11:49 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jatherip For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey jatherips thanks for the comment.

As everybody has covered mostly anatomy, I would suggest working on your values: the darks and the lights. In your pieces, you tend to have very strong value contrasts in the shading. While that's possible in some cases--as in a spot light--in most, where many light sources/reflections exist, it's unnatural. Unless in a single direct light source--especially in skin, which is somewhat reflective--values change only slightly.

Here's one of Sargent's paintings:
    jatherips sketchbook
    Here's a desaturated version:
    jatherips sketchbook

Notice that even though the skin does not include high value contrasts, the figure is still very believable. I'm sure you know this already, but light reflects of of other objects into the primary shadow of the figure (the one caused by the primary light source). The skin rarely goes beyond 50% gray in Sargent's painting, the hair being the darkest dark.

Anyways, you could focus on that too if you'd like. I find it really tedious and confining to simply a copy an image, but referencing it may be helpful.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to YihyoungLi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    peace, thanks for critiques, man! i think these values are important, too!

Last edited by jatherip; April 3rd, 2009 at 09:02 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For someone who has drawn for such a short time you seem to be progressing quite well! Do some more figure studies...it'll help you learn to get rid of the stiffness in your figures. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks really good alrdy man, every drawing seems to have something cool and something less good.

I totally dig your first drawing actually, the environment on that drawing really has a good fibe.

For crits: ofcourse, the anatomy...

Id suggest to first draw a human body with muscles, when you want to make a cyborg/robot character. After you made all the muscles etc correct, u place all the armor plates etc on it one by one. This will make the robots look less static, and more believable.

Hope this will help you! Cheers

Thanks for dropping by!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick comment: Three months of training?! Great start lol! I'm subb'd I'll give you a better comment later, just wanted to see your work really fast.

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey m8 thx for stopping by, Some great work. And amazing that all this is after just 3 months of practice :p

Anyway, i like you're concepts and style, but keep on practicing anatomy. this will make you're work much more believable.

Some reference stuff:
    http://www.Posemaniacs.com
    http://www.characterdesigns.com (the photosets)

-search for the loomis drawing books on google (free anatomy books)
    -and anatomy for the artists is a wel known photo book wich is great to learn from :p

Just some suggestions :p if you already know this stuff then just ignore me XD

Grts !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you all for your answers!
    @jackpot jeah, im practising on posemaniacs every day^^
    @dejakhalz: thanks for your tips! never did that!
    @matte art: yeah, ok it are 5 month now lol
    @fullmetaljacket: thanks for visiting, this loomis book is cool!!

now my new picture, needs some refinement, used reference for the pose, hand not in place

Last edited by jatherip; April 7th, 2009 at 03:14 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi jatherip, I must agree with the other comments about your improvements and stuff.
    About how to study the human figure and anatomy. Try to draw from reference and life as much as possible. Then draw some from your imagination and tackle the problems you encounter. Keep studying the things you're not sure about or just don't know. Anyway, that's the way I'm trying to learn .
    Also throw in some perspective studies. Start with the basic forms. Draw cubes, spheres, cylinders, cones, ... in different angles. The human figure can be simplified by these objects.

Hope it's helpful and good luck!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyno For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    the enviro in #17 is wicked an i really dig all your concepts i think the hip area is the only thing holding some of these back it seems some go from torso to leg w/ little indication of the hips .....aside way cool concepts an great designs im in envy cheers' an i cant wait to see whats next

34. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Depth. For your enviros... Look at some photos of extremely depth oriented landscapes, and study how the value and intensity of light and colour changes with the field of depth.

The background doesn't have to be as intricately detailed as the focus, so don't worry about spending so much time there if it isn't your priority to move the eyes to that space.

Work hard!

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

36. The Following User Says Thank You to IanE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man. You KNOW how to draw. You just need to copy real people. Then you'll be like 50 times better and that's going to be VERY interesting!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to KonnA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you VERY much to you all for your great tips!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the last one, maybe a little bit more muscles around the hips and the chest a little wider, also think of the fact that there is a ribcase a little bit under the breasts.

But great concept

Grts !

41. The Following User Says Thank You to fullmetaljacket For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4