Update for Photoshop CS4 (Fixes brush lag!)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Update for Photoshop CS4 (Fixes brush lag!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update for Photoshop CS4 (Fixes brush lag!)

Hi everyone,

I found this a few minutes ago and I tried to do a forum search to see if anyone else has posted this and I couldn't find anything so here goes:

Adobe has finally released a patch that addressess multiple performance problems and glitches:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13580_3-10171771-39.html

The link to both a windows and mac patch are available above.

I have tested the patch and am exstatic to say that the patch addressess all my performance problems! The brush lag is gone completely and all other openGL tasks like rotating the canvas in realtime works as smooth as butter.

Hooray! Photoshop CS4 is finally usable!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to -Borto- For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome. I'm gonna try it again. I liked the interface and the rotate but the lag was a complete deal-breaker for me, I tried every setting I could imagine and it just sucked.

30 day trial:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/?PID=2294914

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    thanks a lot borto.. great heads up =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not to mention they finally fixed the barrel rotation issues with the 6D art pen! Also a tip here: bring up task manager and change priority of photoshop.exe to a higher value. Setting it to realtime eliminated any brush lag on my system (as there was still minor brush lag even after their patch).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still lags for me, I took a picture to show what's going on, there's always a gap between cursor and what's being painted, like the paint is trying to catch up with brush tip but never does, unless I slow down. Maybe it's normal, but it's not like that in CS3.

Things I tried:
    - installed 11.0.1 patch
    - clean unistalled Nvidia drivers with Driver Sweeper 2.0.0
    and installed 181.71_geforce_win7_64bit, released March 03
    - installed WacomTablet_610-6
    - checked and unchecked CS4 GL and various Nvidia settings
    - set process priority to Real Time

My machine:
    - Asus P5Q
    - Intel Q6600 @ 3.0 Mhz
    - OCZ 16GB RAM
    - Nvidia 8800GT
    - scratch disk on fast drive
    - Windows 7 64 (tried CS4 on Vista too)

The lag is the same, no matter what setting I tweak, like it's hard coded somewhere.

The weird part, there's no lag on my old laptop, CS4 has GL grayed out and works like it should with these specs:
    - Celeron M 1.6 Mhz (Adobe suggests minimum 1.8 Mhz)
    - 2GB RAM
    - ATI X200 onboard (ancient)
    - WinXP Sp3 32

Last edited by Paul Dolgov; March 6th, 2009 at 04:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I run a Celerton 2.4Ghz
    2Gb
    Nvidia 8600GT

No lag untill I start using real big brushes. Are they actually using the card for accelleration? Doesn't look like it, or they are doing something wrong. I mean compare the amount of digital processing a game performs on one screen comparred to one static image with a few layers. I suppose the photoshop code are still done by the CPU put the output managed by the GPU. Perhaps we will be seeing a Adobe chip on GPU cards in the future. But the app having trouble dragging a brush across the screen? Cmon!

Anyone notice the place vanishing poing feature?

Last edited by George Abraham; March 9th, 2009 at 02:09 AM.
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was thinking about upgrading to Photoshop CS4 but I dont know if its a good idea now after reading all the negative posts left by most of the forum members here? I have a custom built PC with Windows Vista 64bit an Intel Core2Quad Q6600 @ 3.0ghz 4GB DDR2 Ram 800MHZ and a Geforce 8800GTX 768mb should I upgrade my ram to 8GB? Is there anyone who has a similar spec PC to mine and can run CS4 no problems?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used it for a month now, I fell for online bidding site's selling them at reduced prices. The product keys I got wouldn't register. Lucky I got refunds.

Since the trial expired I loaded the CS3 now for the first time. Before CS4 and CS3 I have only ever worked on Photoshop 7 and earlier.

I must say, I enjoy the menu's more on CS3, the app is faster than CS4 and the features that I thought was CS4 ones that I really liked are still there. The vanishing point feature.

So now I'm shopping for an old CS3 package. Will upgrade one day if things are worth the effort. I don't think they really use the actual video card. The code still runs through your CPU, they just make things take longer that way by running it through your GPU before actually displaying it. I mean games used more memory and GPU juice way back when TNT cards where around. Games that process motion of hundreds of layers etc on your screen, and photoshop can't even make a brush larger that an inch move smoothly. WTF? My conclushion is that they are doing it wrong, CS3 is still the bomb.

It will only have a speed improvement once photoshop's code are part of nvidia's code, when the brush, layer, etc algorythms they use are ones on the GPU chips.

Last edited by George Abraham; March 28th, 2009 at 01:26 PM.
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just thought I'd share that Ive recently reformatted and upgraded to vista business x64 and put in a new quad processor (q9550) and am now using photoshop CS4 64bit with absolutely no lag. I don't think its been actually offically confirmed but definitely having quad for the multithreading in photoshop helps with performance.

Also, I only have 3GB of ram(planning to add 4 to that in the coming weeks for other app purposes) and photoshop doesnt seem to need more than 1.4 gigs(even working with 4000+px canvases).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm also on an overclocked i7920 quad core (to 3.3ghz), 6 gigs of DDR3, and CS4 64bit flies! much faster than CS3. Sometimes it crashes (due to my graphics card though), and if i put it witho GPU render, it works as well, but sometimes the brushes won't redraw as fast, and there definitley is more drawing lag with large size docs (600 dpi) and brushes. It's a nice product overall, and I'm glad I upgraded.

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Still lags for me, I took a picture to show what's going on, there's always a gap between cursor and what's being painted, like the paint is trying to catch up with brush tip but never does, unless I slow down. Maybe it's normal, but it's not like that in CS3.

Things I tried:
    - installed 11.0.1 patch
    - clean unistalled Nvidia drivers with Driver Sweeper 2.0.0
    and installed 181.71_geforce_win7_64bit, released March 03
    - installed WacomTablet_610-6
    - checked and unchecked CS4 GL and various Nvidia settings
    - set process priority to Real Time

My machine:
    - Asus P5Q
    - Intel Q6600 @ 3.0 Mhz
    - OCZ 16GB RAM
    - Nvidia 8800GT
    - scratch disk on fast drive
    - Windows 7 64 (tried CS4 on Vista too)

The lag is the same, no matter what setting I tweak, like it's hard coded somewhere.

The weird part, there's no lag on my old laptop, CS4 has GL grayed out and works like it should with these specs:
    - Celeron M 1.6 Mhz (Adobe suggests minimum 1.8 Mhz)
    - 2GB RAM
    - ATI X200 onboard (ancient)
    - WinXP Sp3 32
    Just wanted to inform everybody, the lag is completely gone after I disabled Aero theme on Winodws 7 . I wish I tried that few months ago, when I made this post .

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dolgov For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the info, installed and works fine, cheers

Mull

CGPAD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fix CS4 Brush Lag

I had brush lag even after the patch, but this guy's suggested settings largely fixed it for all but really big brushes

http://www.anthonywyatt.com/blog/200...cs4-brush-lag/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok..so here's my dilema.. -> http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=159905 I can't stand that line problem....AT ALL!!! Some suggested I switch to CS4 because it had made line work much smoother and easier for them. Should I switch or is the lag a really big turn off?? I just want some smooth lines and painting is all...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If I swish like Zorro using a 600 pixel brush on a 2k canvas I get lag in CS4 still - but the lag is no worse than the lag I get in CS3 using the same brush and canvas.

For smaller brushes CS4 is quite responsive now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonfruit View Post
    Should I switch or is the lag a really big turn off?? I just want some smooth lines and painting is all...
    The trial is free. 30 days. That's what I'm still on (plus the 11.0.1 patch)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonfruit View Post
    Ok..so here's my dilema.. -> http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=159905 I can't stand that line problem....AT ALL!!!
    You are using a straight edge, like a ruler, on your tablet?

I seem to be getting a slight issue in CS3, I think. It looks improved in CS4. But the problem is pretty subtle to begin with.

I usually stroke a pen path in CS3 and that works perfectly for smooth lines, plus you can edit the path and get it just right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrancis View Post
    You are using a straight edge, like a ruler, on your tablet?

I seem to be getting a slight issue in CS3, I think. It looks improved in CS4. But the problem is pretty subtle to begin with.

I usually stroke a pen path in CS3 and that works perfectly for smooth lines, plus you can edit the path and get it just right.

yeah....I mean...the straight edge is straight to within 1/1000's of an inch. And I'll try CS4. Bleh...I just want to be able to some straight up sketching in photoshop without getting those obnoxious wobbles and "breaks". I mean...I won't be able to live with a building or vehicle that looks like somebody hammered in it's outline...Ha!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm having a weird problem. I don't know if it's considered brush lag. But whenever I use a big brush (or even like a slightly large brush and use fast strokes) these white boxes appear for a few seconds covering the stroke. Sometimes they'll stick there until I pan the image or start drawing on/near the area. So these things are like hiding parts of the last stroke I did until I "refresh" the canvas with more strokes or panning/rotating.

When using a large-ish brush a big white box covers the stroke instead of the actual stroke itself. Like exactly surrounding my brush cursor.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welp, after putzing around with it. It seems this only happens when I have the cursor set to Normal or Full Size. When I set it to Standard or Precise I don't get the odd white box while doing a stroke with a large brush.

Must be something to do with the cursor shadow or the cursor itself. Any idea how to fix this crap? I like seeing the actual outline of the brush.

Edit: Turning off OpenGL support fixes this, but I've already gotten used to the canvas rotation, and since I have a Radeon 4870 it is much smoother when I have it running off my GPU when painting.

Last edited by curt; June 12th, 2009 at 06:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahhh.... I hope this fixes the "straight line" Bug. IF it does, I will have happiness of an indeterminate scale - I will no longer have to alternate between fullscreen painting and window painting, which temporarily circumvented the straight line error, but didn't fix it.

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was able to eliminate brush lag by disabling all the advanced opengl features (still having opengl enabled for the use of rotation tool). The screen redrawing lag when drawing brush strokes was eliminated by using precise cursor instead of the normal/full size brush tip.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to hanson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have the same problems...before patching it was so very damn slow, unusable. After patching Ps got much better but with OpenGL acceleration enabled it is still little slow, I get the same lags as Pav. Without OpenGL, it is much faster and responsive...it is funny because the use of the GPU is intended to make the application run faster but it runs slower...lol...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mmmm

Im having a similiar problem, Most tool, type, brush, smudge, even select tools now, seem to activate nowhere near where im clicking.....

Ill just try to draw a circle at point A, and for some reason itll put the circle at point F...?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mine still lags horribly. A reboot often helps, but the longer I use it, the slower it becomes. I hate CS4 so far.

I'm using
    Dell XPS 700 - Core Intel (2 CPU) 6600 @ 2.40ghz
    4 gigs of ram - 4 hd's of 1tb each.
    Nvidia 9800 GTX+ latest drivers.
    Win XP

Cs4 is MUCH MUCH slower than Cs3
    I'd tried the 3D accerlation on and off (open GL)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've still got a slight lag for my brush when I draw quick lines in CS4.

I've got:

Windows 7 64bit
    Intel Dual Core 3.16GHz
    4 GB DDR3 RAM
    1 GB 4650 Asus Graphics Card

1920 x 1080 px FullHD screen as my main
    and a Cintiq12WX

I still get slight lag on my brush when using it. Even with other things such as dragging the screen there is slight lag, though the brush problem makes it annoying to use. And the Cintiq experience isn't as enjoyable.

I've turned OpenGL off and updated the patch AND tried turning Windows Aero off though it still occures. CS3 ran perfectly when I had XP a couple of days ago. I thought I had good specs too. Would more RAM change anything? I was going to upgrade to 8GB soon anyway. Or do I need a better Graphics card?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Even ol' PS7 lags with the brush strokes on my lappy which is a 2ghz processor and 2gig ram, forget the vidcard but its great.
    Now I couldn't stop the lag manually by any setting so far, but I am able to subtract the happening of brushstroke lagging by starting out with a stroke slowly for maybe half a second (from 50 to 100% canvas zoom scale) just a little bit and then go as fast i want in any direction S. It flows smoother that way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This totally worked for me, http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405012.html

SKETCHBOOK
    DEVIANTART
    BLOG
    arjorda@gmail.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.