Thanks

Photoshop Elements 5 and ArtRage 2.2 - general questons, and Linux questions

Hi,

I am considering buying a Wacom Bamboo Fun medium tablet which contains the two programs Photoshop Elements 5 and ArtRage 2.2. As I'm using a not too powerful free tool (Artweaver) which I'm getting tired of, I wonder which software I should change to. I know that Elements 5 is rather old, but is it still good for painting? I never used Photoshop, so I can't really compare to a newer version, and I couldn't find an Elements 5 trial, so I'm really curious about your judgement on Elements 5.

Also, what about ArtRage 2.2? I've read in this forum that it is basically a simplified Corel Painter. I also tried the trial version, but the trial is very limited, most brushes are locked. I'm curious about your judgement on ArtRage 2.2, too.

Also, I wanted to know whether these tools would run well on Linux (I'm using Ubuntu. I've read in different forums that there have been successful attempts to run each of the tools on WINE, but that doesn't really tell whether theys work well or crash all the time. Also, I've read rumours that the Wacom Bamboo fun medium runs out of the box on Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid), and I wonder if this is true and if works really smoothly.

And my last question is: The Wacom Bamboo fun medium is expensive (~170€), I wonder if it can be bought cheaper by students?

That's a lot of questions, I'm looking forward to answers :-D

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I am considering buying a Wacom Bamboo Fun medium tablet which contains the two programs Photoshop Elements 5 and ArtRage 2.2.
    Mine came with ArtRage 2.5. I basically use this and a free version of OpenCanvas, which is pretty much a mini-Photoshop, meaning smaller, faster, and taking no resourses whatsoever (its about 3 MB on your HDD)

I'm curious about your judgement on ArtRage 2.2, too.
    I'd tell you, except i'm just starting out, and dont really have much to compare it to, yet.

Thanks
    Thank you McKertis,

but still I'm really curious about whether Photoshop Elements 5 is hopelessly out of date, or whether it is ok to paint with...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 674 Posts
    It is not going to be as good as the modern commercial photoshop versions, but if it is free then the price is right. You will probably have trouble keeping up with the other Photoshop folks (who will be talking about menus, functions, or dialog boxes that your version doesn't have, or they are not found in the same place in your version). I think using Windows environment programs with WINE makes for more possibility that something will not work quite right.

Face it. As long as the tablet works with your OS (and it probably will, or else you could get a driver from the Linux Wacom Project), then if you find you don't like those bundled softwares you can always try the GIMP and some of those architectural or 3D Linux programs that are out there. You'll eventually find something economical that makes you feel good.

There are also some 3D and graphic art tools in Open Office that you might like for some purposes.
    Last edited by arttorney; February 27th, 2009 at 03:54 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Elements is totally useable for digital painting. From what I recall you can't make custom brushes or tool presets but you can load those made by others.
    It has paint tools, tablet support and layers, that's the basics covered.

I wouldn't use Elements if I was trying to run a printing company or graphic design studio, but for basic digital painting, you're good to go with it I'd say. Most of the hacked down features are things you simply won't need.

Artrage is neat, "Diet Painter" is a good comparison. The biggest thing you'll notice using a non demo version is that it has layers with blending modes that behave a lot like PS. Other than layers, most of the locked things in the demo are fairly useless novelty functions (glittery paint?) , you'll still be using oil paint, chalk and pencil most of the time.

On the other hand, the select and transform functions are primitive, but the same can be said of Painter..

Not a clue about Linux compatibility, sorry.
    Last edited by Flake; February 27th, 2009 at 05:01 PM.

Thanks
    Artrage is neat, "Diet Painter" is a good comparison. The biggest thing you'll notice using a non demo version is that it has layers with blending modes that behave a lot like PS.
    Actually it has all the blending modes of Photoshop, and the whole group is even called "PS blending modes".

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 516 Posts