Who/what inspired you to major in art?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Who/what inspired you to major in art?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Who/what inspired you to major in art?

hey again guys, just curious: who or what inspired you to become an artist as a career? did you want to become an artist since you were younger ? lastly what would you probably major if not art? thanks in advance :beer:

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm an art major because it's the only thing that I know how to do that I love to do. A desk job, retail job, anything like that kinda job would drive me nuts. I'd hate going to work. With art, work is like play for me. That's why I'm majoring in it.

If I weren't majoring in art, I'd probably be majoring in English or some other language.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I was a wee kid, I wanted to be a comic artist. I like comics back in the early 1990's, when the old writers were still on the case. I tried to self teach myself how to draw, but I didn't have direction or anything, so I thought I sucked. *g* I gave up drawing, but never stopped doodling and all that.

Years go by, college time is coming up. I couldn't see myself going into a boring job, desk job type thing. I've worked in a law office before and I fear desks jobs more than anything. They drive me batty. So, I decided to pursuit the arts. I took one acting class in high school so I figured "Hey! I'll become an actor!" I love theater... I have been a patron of it ever since I was a little lass. Anyways, started doing the theater thing and the community isn't what I thought it would be... it is hard to explain but it isn't half as friendly as the artist community.

So, freshman year of college I had to take a GE class for art. I ended up taking this visual literacy class, it was also the pre-req to all other fun art classes to... went through a quarter of that and decided to try to go after the art thing more. I ended up taking art and theater classes at the same time, and my art teacher rocked, theater teacher was an ass. I had a slight accident the semister before, so it affected my ability to be moblie (AKA i couldnt walk fast) so I was always a few minutes late due to that and he lowered my grade from an A to a B, cuz of that. I had doctor's notes too. Anyways, art teacher rocked though, so did everyone in the class. I was in a printing class, I ended up in printing by going into the work classroom but it seemed interesting so I stay. Hehe. Anyways, I took up making a sketchbook on my own to self-teach myself to draw.
    Transferred schools to see if theater was difference elsewhere or if it was visual arts I wanted.

After trying to pursuit theater here, I realized I love the -ideas- of theater, not the reality. However, I love arts people. The community is awesome and I like drawing... so... I changed to be an art major without any technical skills. I've been laughing at myself about it. ;p

So, how I ended up an art major type. I couldn't see myself being anything else.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was into drawing when I was a kid. I'm not really sure why. I liked copying comic book characters and drawings from Dungeons and Dragons manuals. I also drew fantasy and sci-fi stuff from my head. I stopped drawing sometime in eigth grade and switched to programming. I continued that until my second in year in college. I wasn't accepted into the Computer Science department and I wasn't as interested in it as before, so I started thinking about other interests.

At some point I remembered that I liked drawing as a kid, so I gave it another try. I got interested in it again, and now one year later, I'm really happy to be back in art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've always loved comics, cartoons and had a strong desire to draw. When I was in elementary school my teachers would let me draw comics in place of writing papers or doing book reports. When I left for college (in 97) I was determined to be an art major. However, my parents didn't want to spend all that money preparing me for a career they saw as similar to being a rock star or actor (meaning something everyone wants to do but very few people become successful in). They asked that I study something more broadly applicable and concentrate on art in my own time. I conceeded, as it was their money, but bounced around between an english and communications majors for years. I was dragging my feet, refusing to commit to one thing and never making real progress in any particular field. After 5 years of this and not being anywhere near graduating (I never failed anything, I just couldn't stick to one major long enough to fulfill all the credit requirements) my parents finally decided to stop paying for my schooling. I dropped out for awhile, but quickly got hired on as a staff member of the University I had studied at. Along with this job I got a huge discount on courses, so I went back to school with my own money. As I was paying my own way, I could take whatever I wanted. While I had been drawing in my free time anyway, I was getting discouraged at my lack of progress, so I started taking a few 100 level art classes for some instruction, but not planning on going for a degree. I ended up learning and enjoying it so much that I finally declared an Art and Visual Technology degree this semester. I don't go to a noteable art school by any means, but it's still a tremendous asset to me all the same as before my only teachers have been "How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way" and a couple cheap anatomy books. As it is now, I've spent so much time taking other courses that my general education requirements are filled and I can take nothing but art classes to put towards a degree. It's wonderful.

Sorry for rambling on there, I'm sure no one read the whole thing, but your question just got me in a reflective mood

Ambassador of Kick-your-assador

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.