Any Crits/Advice are appreciated!

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Any Crits/Advice are appreciated!

Hey everyone!
    I'm new here. This is my first post. I've been lurking this site for some time now. I've always wanted to post something here, but I'm pretty intimidated by all the wonderful artwork I've seen in this place. I've finally found enough courage to post something.

I post all my artwork up at Deviant Art. It's a nice place and all but I don't like the fact that hardly anyone over there gives advice or an honest critique. And I really want to improve so here I am! Here's my most recent work...
    Any Crits/Advice are appreciated!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SyreetaG; February 23rd, 2009 at 07:50 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, the outlines make the objects/person look cut and paste, and the lantern is out of perspective and makes the whole picture flatten out, and you need more blue in the house, to enhance the effect of the house fading into the background. But overall nice pic!!!!

Critiques on my work always welcome!!

Sketchbook:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=229693

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vayne108 View Post
    Well, the outlines make the objects/person look cut and paste, and the lantern is out of perspective and makes the whole picture flatten out, and you need more blue in the house, to enhance the effect of the house fading into the background. But overall nice pic!!!!
    Thanks so much for the crit! I'll definitely try to fix the lantern and the house. Thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This may just be the way I'm looking at it but he doesn't really seem to have any weight to him. It sorta looks like he's barly floting above the ground. Also try showing the lantern from a differant angle, that might fix the weirdness of it. I do like the way you did the background actully.

Remember... Flies spread disease, so keep yours closed -Eisenhower.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's ok, I like the linedrawing but I don't agree with your coloration:

You choose to take the most obvious colors for everything, grass green, brown earth, pink flesh, blue sky, brown tree, supercolorful flowers.
    Additionally there is no good contrast in values (darkness and brightness) and saturation (everything is evenly strongly saturated). If your goal was to make it look cartoony, then it's alright. If you wanted to give the picture any mood/ambience/believability/individuality then you didn't succeed.
    Ok, to fix this you still could try to save it a little bit by using an overlay.. but for the next picture I'd suggest that you study some photos with unusual light or some old master, that you take a look how different and unusual skin can look depending on the light and to try and limit your palette.
    Maybe you could take also pictures as reference for how light works and how strange colors on different objects can be, here's a good link for cool lightsettings and colorschemes

Last edited by Kiera; February 26th, 2009 at 10:43 AM.
    I just took a break to post this.
    But sometimes I also draw stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiera View Post
    it's ok, I like the linedrawing but I don't agree with your coloration:

You choose to take the most obvious colors for everything, grass green, brown earth, pink flesh, blue sky, brown tree, supercolorful flowers.
    Additionally there is no good contrast in values (darkness and brightness) and saturation (everything is evenly strongly saturated). If your goal was to make it look cartoony, then it's alright. If you wanted to give the picture any mood/ambience/believability/individuality then you didn't succeed.
    Ok, to fix this you still could try to save it a little bit by using an overlay.. but for the next picture I'd suggest that you study some photos with unusual light or some old master, that you take a look how different and unusual skin can look depending on the light and to try and limit your palette.
    Maybe you could take also pictures as reference for how light works and how strange colors on different objects can be, here's a good link for cool lightsettings and colorschemes
    That's exactly what a I was thinking, study up on color theory a little bit, learn about reflected light and complimentary colors. Forget about the perspective of the lantern being off, just think about that light source, for one it is coming from a very specific angle, instead of all around like you have it, so think about cast shadows and a much stronger contrast between colors, not to mention the bright moon that is back lighting him. Focus mainly on how the shadows should fall, and what should be reflecting what, I think that would make a huge difference.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.