Sketchbook: jimah james's sketches. - Page 2
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: jimah james's sketches.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would use different brushes for that last picture, taht brush might be good to fill ins ome initial colors but you'll need something with a bit more finesse to make this work. I actually realy like the girl, even though her head is smaller then her left shoulder That makes her look extremely buff, if that is what you are looking for. I think the pose is a bit of balance, dont forget to flip the convas horizontally while you work to see mistakes ( I know I always forget). The tone of colors is really good though so far. Not up to par with your pencil draiwngs, but it takes practice (dont we all know )

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamorhage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Jimah,
    This last ones looking cool, but I'll see how I can help.

First off the proportions don't look right even if there meant to look stylised, (Head and waist too small, shoulders hips and legs too big).
    It looks like an interesting character, with really nice use of colour, but it all most gets lost in all the burly brush strokes, so next time try using a harder and bigger brush.

Looking forward to seeing where you take this one mate,

keep it up
    matt

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! Great to see that you're managing to get some artwork on here. I don't have anything to say that hasn't been said already. Keep it up and work on those proportions!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, i haven't been on in a while and currently trying to come up with a "professional portfolio" but i have no idea where to begin? I'm a Need help with it. Guys if you don't mind could anyone by chance spend some of their time on me to guide me through it? I have a series in mind also here is another painting the picture quality aint that great but its an acrylic painting i did.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JimahJames; May 15th, 2009 at 09:54 AM.
    check out my Sketch Book

Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 875 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good SB.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THanks mike im not sure what sb means But thanks for your comment lookin forward to more

check out my Sketch Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my first practice with developing a character

check out my Sketch Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How do i change the thread photo? MY creepy disgusted face is getting old :/
    Please advise when you can

Very amuch appreciated!

~jimah

check out my Sketch Book

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah it is 1000 points for you lol well i got something right lol i guess its an ok peice when you know who it is lol. thanks for you comment ^^

check out my Sketch Book

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Try that Rita painting again in red shades (could be brownish reds) and greens with porcelain, luminous skin. The woman glowed. You could have so much fun with that, and you have such a good likeness!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK i can see what i can do , I made a stencil like thing from tracing paper out of it , I hope it is something that could sell so i can get my feet wet and afford stuff , because i am tired of going to the local school here and using their stuff :/ I'll be looking forward to your wonderful ideas thank you very amuch appreciated! ^^

check out my Sketch Book

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Jimah, good to see you've updated man!

Frigin love the Rita Hayworth portrait, saw it was her straight away!
    No crits on what you've done on that one but maybe you should have done a little more too it.
    And I like the edges on it too, some soft some hard, nice work!

Enjoyed seeing your character development too. Just keep these up if you can, there's no right or wrong way too developing characters. You may not even use the same way twice, It's all about what feels right to you!

Same with the house. This really looks like an early wip, so I'm not going to crit it yet.

Oh and I think what Mike meant by "good SB" was SketchBook. And that is good praise from a great artist like mike butkus!

Thanks for the visit to my thread as well man, really appreciated,
    matt

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maaaaaan where the heck have you been?!?! You've neglected this sketchbook for too long
    Keep updating man! Your work is good! Yeah PM me with whatever you wanna know about AAU and I'll try to tell you what I can

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for swinging by my sketchbook Here is the answer: to change your sketchbook picture you have to upload the picture you want in the first post of your thread using image manager of the conceptart.org website. If you host the image on a different site it won't work. you can find a lot of brushes online by going to the websites like
    http://tutorialblog.org/free-photoshop-brushes/ or http://www.psbrushes.net/all_brushes_01.php. I would highly recommend creating your own brushes: http://www.idigitalemotion.com/tutor...stombrush.html
    There is a really useful video on speed painting and creating your own brushes by David Levy: http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/85/. Hope it will help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, look like you needed some crits so ill drop some if you dont mind hmm in your last digis, you seem to use white to paint highlights , you should study color theory a bit to help you pick the right color for your hioghlights and shadow, the problem with white is that it desaturate the color under it at the same time it brightens it, the thing is that usually in real life, the light source is eaither warm or cold, the sun would not desaturate the highlight but rather add a bit of warm color into it. Same goes for the shadow, dont use pitch black to darken things, keep it for areas where no light can reach and bounce. About the tools, use brushes with 100% opacity to prevent ''muddy and petty '' brushstrokes, your wacom probably has a pressure sensitivy on it, make sure you use it to your advantage, either set the pressure on opacity or maybe on brush tip size or stuff like that, play with all those settings, download other people brushes and analyze the way they did them and try to figure out why they wanted the brush to work this way to create different effect. Your pencil are your best, thats pretty good i think because its the basic of everything, so keep doing studies and digis and have fun, hope you found what to do after highschool , as long as you keep doing stuff you will improve.
    cya ! ^^

19. The Following User Says Thank You to VirgL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New stuff..

Last edited by JimahJames; May 19th, 2009 at 02:34 PM.
    check out my Sketch Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteC View Post
    hey man, look like you needed some crits so ill drop some if you dont mind hmm in your last digis, you seem to use white to paint highlights , you should study color theory a bit to help you pick the right color for your hioghlights and shadow, the problem with white is that it desaturate the color under it at the same time it brightens it, the thing is that usually in real life, the light source is eaither warm or cold, the sun would not desaturate the highlight but rather add a bit of warm color into it. Same goes for the shadow, dont use pitch black to darken things, keep it for areas where no light can reach and bounce. About the tools, use brushes with 100% opacity to prevent ''muddy and petty '' brushstrokes, your wacom probably has a pressure sensitivy on it, make sure you use it to your advantage, either set the pressure on opacity or maybe on brush tip size or stuff like that, play with all those settings, download other people brushes and analyze the way they did them and try to figure out why they wanted the brush to work this way to create different effect. Your pencil are your best, thats pretty good i think because its the basic of everything, so keep doing studies and digis and have fun, hope you found what to do after highschool , as long as you keep doing stuff you will improve.
    cya ! ^^
    Thanks VERY VERY MUCH ON YOUR HELP AMIGO! I REALLY REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP AND YOU WERE SPECIFIC THANK YOU! I AM REALLY TRYING HARD I AM STILL NEW WITH COLOR IM GLAD YOU COULD POINT THAT OUT I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO START IT BUT PAINT IS SO FRICKEN EXPENCIVE AND ALL I HAVE IS DIGI MEDIA ( which is probably not the best way to learn color theory from ?) anyways ima respond to your sketch book what i posted here if you don't get it from here! thanks again x 100

~jimah

check out my Sketch Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey mate,
    you dont need any paint to learn color theory.. i never touched real paint in my whole life and still managed to learn how color and light work together physically.. Real paint is surely a great way to learn, but like you, i dont have the money or the place to use it, so the best way to learn, would be to first, READ and UNDERSTand how light works ( radiosity, sub surface scattery, atmospheric perspective ) then you can read about color theory and color temperature and use all the information you read to ANALYSE your surrounding, lets say you read about shadow being cool when highlights are warm.. you can simply stick that in your head and LOOK at everything when you walk the morning outside, or watch a movie.. look at the road and compare the color of the shadow to the color of the light, look at the grass outside and try to analyse how its affected by light ... one day you will be amazed to see that theres always a connection between the lightsources and the color of everything... dont waste any occasion to look at this and analyse them using the knowledge you gain from reading various theory.. A good way to learn color is also to paint from life or good photos.. pick a photo and try to reproduce it without using the color picker, just try to figure out the color you see.. if you reallycant figure out, use the color picker on the color and analyse its HUE / SATURATION / VALUE ( the basics components of every color ). You need to look at things a different way, you dont always need a pencil in your head to practice, just look and try to understand why things are how they are. Yep this can lead to insanity hahahaha !
    For good links to online color theory check out this website. I would give my link to you but ive lost all my fuckin bookmarked website. ;(

23. The Following User Says Thank You to VirgL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteC View Post
    hey mate,
    you dont need any paint to learn color theory..... Yep this can lead to insanity hahahaha !
    For good links to online color theory check out this website. I would give my link to you but I've lost all my fuckin bookmarked website. ;(
    Thank you AGAIN! I Will Start looking for that! ill try playing around and i will keep you posted.ALSO i got bad news T.T the BAd news is I am graduating this week and i won't have a computer anymore with a wacom tablet :/ colored pencils? lol I'll try to work with it and watercolor i guess :/ for now. But i will try to get a digital camera some how so i can keep you up to date. I;m Moving to north Carolina from Florida in a month or so and i am starting life after high school with nothing starving artist FTW some dudes have this airbrush place that said they might train me there and stuff but i don't know if their full of it or not. I've looked at the color theory section on this website with their apple and fruit practices and under paintings , I'm starting to understand it somewhat it just sucks because its coming to me little by little and now i have to stop abruptly due to the fact i am leaving here with nothing :/ Im going to the community college for something else besides art... The expences for art school i believe is a little high (i could be a engineer for a cheaper price and make more) just for something to fall back to you know? idk i am still debating. wanna take me in? adopt me and cram more information known-to my little brain lol jk thanks again

The other dude,
    Jimah

check out my Sketch Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink Meh new and first fully colored acryllic painting!

HEre it is ann M.

check out my Sketch Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work man! Do you have a scanner? It'd be a good idea to do some life sketches and some anatomy studies...or you could even do anatomy digitally. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well you asked for brutal critique so I will say one thing: do more studies!!! you obviously have skill, I really like "see no evil" and the portrait of Paul - he's instantly recognizable and well drawn. But I think you're just rushing things and not taking time to give some love to your art. You have imagination but your imaginative pieces show a lack of studies and basics, making them sorta lack some kind of cohesive structure to make them believable.

so yeah: more studies (life drawing, photo reference, etc), and more love for what you're drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a long time getting back into it holy crapp...Name:  IMG_0790.JPG
Views: 6
Size:  566.3 KB

Last edited by JimahJames; March 9th, 2014 at 10:17 PM.
    check out my Sketch Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  1890991_10201261006321149_1111759646_n.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  72.6 KB

check out my Sketch Book

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 2