C.O.W. # 134 Colossus from Hell! - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: C.O.W. # 134 Colossus from Hell!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congratulations on modhoodedness MJ!!

Wow, some great work in here already, Cloister.. jeez mate, reign back your talent!

Well I've sketched out what looks like a spineless elephant.. If I go with this guy I'll definitely sort that out, and reduce the scale of the people by a long way.. ant size may be?
    And the second sketch.. well it's dead, but I quite like the design

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone for the comments and for the authorization that my goaty isn't a humanoid.

Mara644
    You got it right, they are trees XD

But now he doesn't look big even with the trees scale, maybe I should add some highness fog.

By now:

Art, Commissions and Online classes
    My Site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After my initial sketches I've come up with this guy..
    I'll have chains and skulls and stuff like that hanging off of him if I get the chance.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketches!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aaaaaand an update

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres mine so far. Any advice?

Art and kindness are my weapons of choice.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Irish_Jim, you designed the EXACT thing I was drawing yesterday. Its so awesome. Like, the many heads, the head shape, the look, its all spot on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow! So much amazing inspiration just looking at the WIPs that are being posted here~ Blobs, your creature is quite astounding, even during the sketch stage. I can just see the skin texture festering and everything. Marco... your coloring makes me just want to give up now. And I love the roach like feel to the creature's head. Buddha Bear, you should get some sort of texture going on your creature's hind legs. Leathery, if you want to run with the t-rex idea, or maybe something slimy and gross...

I'll be posting my ideas soon, once I finish messing around and am within reach of a scanner...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sperling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi hi!

Buddha Bear- Hi I know is just wip yet but I would throw some more organic details on him like you have on your sketches. Stuff that shows how the beast anatomy works.

Marco Mazzoni- Great design! Loving the scale and mood I wonder how that tail ends..

blobs
    - Very solid designs man, I like the second on pecil the most, maybe going further with scale?

Tipa- Nice colors! (maybe too happy for a hellish moment? just my taste anyway..) About scale I would move the city/castle to be below the horizon, that way would appear to be closer to the viewer than the goat beast, making him to look biger given the position in space and size relations of the elements (hopa that makes sense.. me english no well )

MoHog- Disgusting big bug XD I would go ahead with the spikes, will look creepier

David79- Massive beasts! grat scale I like the two on the left, maybe the on on the bottom looks less hell classic..

Althael- Thats a creepy animal man! would like to see more of his body though

Mara644- I would say its a bit too human yes, mostly the legs and hands, the rest is cool

grey- wow thats big! and creepy! i'll be waiting for some color

Cloister- Seems you realy liked the scale and hell idea man, Great job! only thing bothering me is the buildings roof tops, are all flat. If you work that a little will look lots more realistic and scary

kosmo975- nice! maybe make it bigger?

Mr.Wittmann
    - Cool design! nice how he is looking really big even without any scale reference

FAST ART- Like it! looks misterious (love the sketches too, gerat ideas!)

Irish_Jim- Crazy! something to show scale would be cool

matthewAllen- I like the 5 beast sketch. And thats an ugly (lady?) monster. I bet that tongue is all covered with poisonous fluids..... >_<

.s.- I like the idea of the horns from the neck, and looks realy solid (too human may be?)

Nexus- I like the two bottom ones from the 2nd column, nice thumbs.

Wacky Wackowski- Surrealistic idea, I like it

Wilko- Scary beast man, reminds me of paramites from oddworld universe

Joey-b- Nice design, looks dangerous!

Kin- Nice! looks unavoidavle

Michael Jaecks- Good luck with the job!

And here is my concept,
    Volcanum Magmanimum: He not only disguises as a volcano, he is almost the actual volcano!! hiding in mountains, or creating his own stone shelter with the magma he throws over the centuries. He can pop out whenever is needed to bring fear and destruction upon all life forms on the surface of earth!!
    (it also comes in his mini version Volcanum Puppetae. Perfect for terrorizing every inhabitant of your little ant farm!!)

Name:  Bocetos.JPG
Views: 1226
Size:  45.7 KB

Cheers!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joiton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhssssaa!!! entraste en quinta joan1!!!!!!! voy a ver si puedo hacer algo para este cow yo tb!

ta bueno el bicho tuyo, la re idea...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's what I have for now. Will finish this baby tomorrow with some colors. Not too sure yet what to do with the background...and what colors to use?

My first version had a giant jesus like growth on it's belly in a position that suggested constant rape by this demonic creature...I decided to scrap that idea though I like it better than the Throne/command chair thing I have now. Oh well...

Visit my site at www.bralt.be

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback Sperling and joiton. I have way too much home work to keep working on it today but hopefully ill have that wip rendered by tomorrow so I can start on a final version in a cool environment/scene.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grats to Micheal Jaecks for Modhood Loving this cow topic to miss this one out. Will finish this if time permits! My concept of the colossus,picky eater, slow chewer, makes for more torment, hehehe. Loving everyone's take on this, all gruesome in their own right!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bralt...eww its like a penis head with a mouth. Excellent! lol

"Steering perception? i am.
    Inviting contradiction? i am."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, final sketch before paints. c&c very much welcome.

Name:  final_sketch.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  189.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    W.I.P. My first post here on the CA forums. Did most of this throughout today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres an update... too much school work to finish it tonight.

Any suggestions? Tomorrow Ill render his claws and start
    redraw him in a scene/environment.

Thanks for the input sperling and joiton.

Last edited by badass; February 24th, 2009 at 02:57 AM.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Shaded WIP

TimM - Whoops, sorry if I snatched your concept. It was accidental, I promise.

joiton - Thanks fer the kind words. I added the silhouette of a little explorer partway through evacuating his bowels into his trousers for scale. You have pretty sweet thumbnails, I like the hidden-in-the-earth predator idea.

Buddha Bear - I'd recommend working to define some good musculature in the legs and sides a la T-Rex here. Perhaps arch the spine a bit to give it more lunge, know what I mean?

Bralt Hannicart - Beautifully Geiger-esque abomination! The throne idea works much better aesthetically, I think, than the Jesus-Kuato-raping one. Have you given any thoughts to sharpening some of those protruding ribs?

Marco Mazzoni - Great textures! Love the corpsey-fishy look on the beast.

blobs - I'm diggin' the way your colossi all have a real visual sense of weight; there's visible volume in their shape.

Cloister - Daaaaang. You took that "colossus" bit pretty seriously. I like!

Izer - You nailed the pose on that one, the balance is perfect.

matthewAllen - It's like reading 'the Hungry Caterpillar' whilst under the influence of strong hallucinogens. Wonderfully executed final sketch.

Here's my next step, shaded over about 1.5 hours in Photoshop. Started from a scanned ink drawing, and I'll color it sometime in the next couple days.

Good submissions all around!

Last edited by Irish_Jim; February 24th, 2009 at 03:11 AM.
    "You may have noticed my brain is no longer pristine." - Spider Jerusalem

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Irish_Jim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those are all so yucky! They make me want to wash my eyes out with bleach!

And Bralt: Unholy crap! I have only you to blame for my nightmares when I sleep tonight.

Going to post a little WIP tomorrow. Don't you all wait up for it now you hear! I gots to get my beauty sleep. Oh yah, the nightmares. Now I'm going to look like one of these creatures in the morning.

Some see the glass half full. Others see it half empty. I just try to see the glass!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cloister: this is a real giant-creature.. i like how the red color is used in the background.. i think your picture is right now the best devinition of a `giant´ hell creature.. great done
    David79: the studys looks great.. keep workin on that
    Marco Mazzoni: your painting-style is really great. are u using painter or photoshop?
    matthewAllen: great sketches
    joiton: thanks
    blobs: really great sketches..

so here is my creature.. thought about a story for that: after millions of damned warriors fall in the battelfield the demon from hell cames out to catch all the souls..
    ..hm.. but i don´t really like this peace and i think i will make some new sketches and make something that is more fresh than that

24. The Following User Says Thank You to FAST ART For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Guys,

Great work so far! This should be one of the best COWs ever...
    I've been working on this for a while and am thinking of going in a different direction...I want to push the idea further and have come up with a new rough attached last...let me know what you guys think so far.

Initial roughs:

New Rough:

Adam Vehige aka VegasMike
    Check out my gallery!:http://vegasmike.deviantart.com/gallery/

26. The Following User Says Thank You to VegasMike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my goodness. If you guys can get this much done already and it's only Tuesday morning by my clock, then there aint nothing you can't do.

Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Mr. Jaeks, congratulations on becoming ring leader of the crazy creature circus! I hope you still have time to participate and thanks for the awesome topic...I hope they can all be this epic!

Adam Vehige aka VegasMike
    Check out my gallery!:http://vegasmike.deviantart.com/gallery/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work everyone. And thanks Michael Jaecks for taking over COW!

I went with a underwater/drowning hell concept. The beast catches it's prey with it's tentacles and pulls them down, plays with them for a while, lets them swim to the surface when they are nearly drowned only to pull them underwater again. when it get's bored it eats them.

Name:  cow134_wip1.jpg
Views: 1349
Size:  23.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update on page 2… more will come, I think.

Fozzybar: Either you’re dead or your not the king. You can’t have it both ways! Unless you come back in an undead topic of course...

Wacky: Looks very mythological and interesting.

Grey: Thanks! It is very uncertain in your sketch, how the creature looks. Does it have hind-legs? Big or small butt? … Perhaps a less frontal point of view?

Marco: Good to see you on the round. You always bring nice stuff to cow. The current image looks interesting but is VERY dark, at least on my screen.

Scott the blob: Thanks! Nice sketches man!. I really like that muscle power-elephant. You should finish that one off topic, I think.

Tipa: Look to the breasts of your creature and try to position them according to what you know about perspective (a line towards a point on the horizon and all that). The furthest breast should be lower unless he is seriously leaning this way.

Joiton: Thanks! Yes, I know the city is very naïve-looking. I have done something to change that a bit in my recent update. Thanks for the constructive crits!

Dwinbotp: Looks very interesting.. nice character expression.

Irish Jim: Thanks! Nice hydra heads!

Fast Art: Cool Mumin-like creature. I like the mood.

Vegas: is rocking again. Nice postures! I really like the look of the lower right beast in the four sketches image. The coloured one is likable as well. Good work so far!

Someone.. please try to bend the rules a little... just something to test out the new mod !?

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Cloister For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    joey-b. Liked the horns in the face,

Wacky Wackowski. I don't find it ridiculous, kinda cool actually, but I'm not sure about the human legs

FastArt, I voted for the bunny! Love it so far. I really thougth that the two flames were neat, but the one on the head looks awesome.

Bralt Hannicart. I like your second idea. The first one is was also ideollogically dangerous hehehe. The head looks freaking wicked, reminds me the Chikka larva of Metroid Prime Echoes.

Irish Jim. The heads looks great and the little tentacle like stuff covering the body. Check out the spine, it kinda breaks the style.

Buddha Bear. I seconf Irish Jim, work in the muscles, it doesn't seem that the creature can stand to much on their feet.

Cloister. That is COLOSSUS...

blobs. I'm go for the second one, the first one recalls to much and elephant, but the body is cool indeed. The second ond is much more fitting I think.

dwinbotp. Repulsing, wich of course means "way to go!"

matthewAllen. Like it so far.

VegasMike. Good to see you round' here! I just can say that I like the bigger mouth of the sketch also the pose looks really cool on the sketches but the colors look great. Reminds me Shadowgate hehehhe.

Benu. I just can say this: Larger

Sorry for those who I didn't gave feed back, they were too much for me! latter I will recheck everyone, great wips so far.

FozzyBar, we salute you wherever you are. Michael Jaecks nice to have you as the new boss around, a new COW era indeed, hope to see more of your entries too.

Oh, right! this is my wip. Its supposed to be giant fish like creature wich soar the "skies" of hell and wich are responsible for this places burning state. I will put the full description when I upload this bloody thing finished. gimme you comments and critique!

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Samolo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all the well wishes from everyone again.

It pains no one more than me to say so, but I won't have time to enter this week. Other planes of existence will have to occupy my tablet. Sad not to enter, but I'm not going to stop people throwing money at me either.

Benu: I love the underwater drowning idea, because personally no one is more afraid of water than me. But, I could really use a little more hell in your picture. Think: lake of fire

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Round's lookin' good so far!

joiton - extended the format so you can see that tail... perhaps some things are better left unseen, huh?

FAST ART - Thanks, I'm digging your style as well. I use photoshop with some painterly brushes. I'm just too damn clumbsy in Painter

Cloister - Thanks man, it's good to be back. Looks like you're still brining your own quality entries It is pretty dark for now, though I think I'm going to keep it in the lower values with a few ticks of light to make it pop

Here's my update for the day, back to real work for me

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Marco Mazzoni For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Stage 2 & 3: Linework Designs, Color Comp

Ok, well here's some more progress. After I choose about 4 thumbs that I like I start doing some more finished linework designs to get a feel for which ones I like most. I narrowed it down to two this time and was happy to find I didn't need to draw all four before I was confident with the design I wanted. Then I throw down some colors and play around until I'm satisfied.

The concept thus far is something along the lines of a living furnace. The creature is huge and resides beneath hell in it's deepest bowels. The colossus uses its shovel-like forelimbs to gather up depraved souls. It then drops them into its burning maw and incinerates them for all time. This process provides the heat which makes hell so...hellish. Think along the lines of those old timey engines with a crew of sweating dudes shoveling coal into the furnace and you have the idea of where this is going.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like I picked a good week to check in on COW... Congrats Michael!!

I'm using this as time to practice digital techniques. This week I'm trying it with no scanning or graphite! (Hey it's new to me, ok?) I'm also trying the work in grayscale first thang.

Here's what we got so far... (not including initial sketch in rollerball on lined notebook paper, executed during dial-in meeting)

"Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.