C.O.W. # 134 Colossus from Hell!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: C.O.W. # 134 Colossus from Hell!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W. # 134 Colossus from Hell!

For more infos and details about the rules go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=110879

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Round #134

Topic:
    Colossus from Hell!

Creature Description: The Colossus from Hell is a giant, mammoth (as in BIG), diabolical beast native to Hell. Your interpretation of this idea should focus on the scale of the creature. It could be anything as large as an Oliphant from LOTR to the size of the mountain or bigger! The point is to design a massive, horrific monster that can be clearly seen as only coming from the depths of the netherworld. The narrative you attach to your concept is entirely up to you, but the design must represent a massive species that lives in Hell.

Deadline:
    Saturday, 28 February 2009

note: The deadline won't be EXACTLY after a week...it can last up to 24 hours more, i am human and have to work also, you know
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to post

In this thread you can post all wips, questions, comments etc
    However if you are done with your entry, post the final image in the following thread.

THREAD FOR FINAL ENTRIES

READ THE INFO IN THE 1ST POST OF THE FINALS THREAD TO SEE HOW TO POST YOUR FINAL IMAGE!!!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Michael Jaecks; February 21st, 2009 at 07:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey mj - does mammoth mean large or a mammoth/elephant/mastodon based animal? Thanks for running this one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some of you may be going, 'huh?'

This is my first round of COW as moderator. First I really want to thank Fozzybar for asking me to do this. I learned so much over the last three years participating in COW, and I'm just happy I get to give a little back. I also want to thank yoitisi for taking over the reigns of COW for as long as he did, even with all he is busy with all over CA and especially for his HUGE help in getting me started with my first round.

I decided I wanted to start my first round with a little bit of a bang and with the sort of topic I know has drawn a lot of participation in the past. You can't go wrong in COW when you take a trip to Hell.

I'll be checking in daily to make sure everything is going smoothly, answering any questions and offering any help I can. So, fire up your tablets, post your WIPs, discuss your ideas, offer up the constructive crits, and let see some seriously freaky demonic monstrosities!

Last edited by Michael Jaecks; February 21st, 2009 at 09:25 PM.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Michael Jaecks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THANKS yoitisi. We'll see how rough it gets. I'm just waiting for a few of my old friends to hear the news.

peter john: mammoth = large... that said, elephantesque inspired demonic creatures are entirely welcome as well. But I have edited the creature description for clarity... thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    As you can see, COW has a new moderator as of now. Fozzybar needs a bit of rest from handling it's daily business, and I never intended to take over full time, so Michael Jaecks graciously accepted to become the new COW boss. So please be careful with him, it'd be nice if he could stay around for a while

Fozzy and I will stay around to help out if needed, but for any problems you might have bother MJ first

Edit: Oops sorry I thought this thread would make more sense if you'd have your say first, so I deleted my first post. Guess I should leave the modding to you from now on

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mmm, good choice Fozz. MJ, loves the critters. As do I. Also great choice on the CoW topic, since the last round involving a creature from hell drew in about a billion entries. Interestingly enough I think the winner from the last hell round was actually an elephant spawned from the netherworld. So, it's funny that you should mention the oliphants and mammoths MJ. Well good luck to all, I'll be rolling in here with the most evil and large creature that I can think of ASAP.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No prob yoitisi. I think we were both typing at the same time.

Nexus: yer right, nearly a billion entries. Consider this my COW Stimulus Package. And I remember the winning entry from COW 66 as well...

But we can go BIGGER. Good luck everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I gotta get in on this one! This should be quite a round...looking forward to seeing what everyone is going to come up with! Must go draw....

Adam Vehige aka VegasMike
    Check out my gallery!:http://vegasmike.deviantart.com/gallery/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There we go. Now they come out of the woodwork. I feel like its been a while since I've seen you VegasMike. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    agh! such an awesome topic!

the cord to my tablet got caught on the arm of my chair. when i rolled away from my desk...the tablet came with it and smashed on the floor with a great terrifying thud!
    R.I.P Tablet

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first friend on ConceptArt.org's inaugural round, awesome topic...I am IN on this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hell can be a cold place, right...?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oooh yes, now this is something one could really sink one's teeth into . . . proverbially or otherwise

it occurs to me that both my emotions and reactions are ill-placed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by noche View Post
    hell can be a cold place, right...?
    the ninth ring of hell in Dante's Inferno was a lake of ice.

The "western" concept of hell is sort of based on the fire and brimstone archetype. If you take a look at things like the Buddhist structure of hell (the cold and hot Narakas) things get a lot more varied. For instance, in a system based on reincarnation you may suffer in hell long enough to clear your karma, so you're not going to be suffering for an eternity or infinity. BUT, you'd still be stuck there for a duration of time that seems like an eternity to mortal brains.

Naraka: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naraka_(Buddhism)
    Diyu: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diyu

Arbuda – the "blister" Naraka. This is a dark, frozen plain surrounded by icy mountains and continually swept by blizzards. Inhabitants of this world arise fully grown and abide life-long naked and alone, while the cold raises blisters upon their bodies. The length of life in this Naraka is said to be the time it would take to empty a barrel of sesame seed if one only took out a single seed every hundred years.
    A barrel fits a hell of a lot of sesame seeds! The wikipedia page on Naraka lists the duration of a life in each Naraka using scientific notation... yikes!

So yeah, I think hell can be a cold place. Or a place of burning iron, or drowning, being fried in a pan, etc...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Species part makes this still a hard one

hope i have the time and my new tablet in time
    Thanks MJ!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The King is dead. Long live the King!

Hell is it? Okay... so you're working your way from the abyss and upwards. I'll see if I can help you on the way with bringing in a true fiery behemoth this round... perhaps, perhaps..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lacrymosa: sorry to hear about the tablet. I've been there myself. These days I keep a small spare just in case. Gently used models are pretty easy to score cheap on eBay (Intuous on down, I'm mean...) Have you tried hooking it back up to the computer and wiggling/finessing the wire a little back into the tablet? This happened to me once. The contacts inside just got a little messed up after a fall, but I was always able to get the tablet working if I played with it. Just an idea.

peter john makes a good point with the Dante reference. Another I can think of is in Dungeons and Dragons, where the eigth layer of Hell, Cania, is a vast frozen wasteland. It's master, Mephisotoheles, spends many an hour in his frozen castle perfecting the art of "Hellfire," according to the 3.5 edition rulebooks. There's a marriage of fire and ice there.

Look, if you want to in the cold direction and you do it well, I'll certainly accept the interpretation. Cold or hot, though, the real point to your creature design is that it is clearly demonic/diabolical and that it is massive.

Ah HA! Cloister is gonna start making Elvis songs stick in my head again. Welcome, and yes, please, put the baby away and paint your heart out. (kidding of course about putting Ina in the pantry... give her a little ah-choo from me. )

Everyone else: Looking forward to seeing your first WIPs!

Last edited by Michael Jaecks; February 22nd, 2009 at 03:15 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well u asked for some wips, well i just doodled some stuff, might go for one of these.. not sure IF ill participate. Need to get my new tablet, not sure if itll be here on time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh brilliant topic, new master of the cow!
    I'll be in on this for sure

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I never got past thumbs and some sketches last COW round due to lack of time. BUT this topic sounds way too awesome to not enter...

Congratulations on becoming ringmaster, Jaecks! And ofcourse, thanks for your devotion, Yoitisi!

Now I'll be off sharpening my wacom pen and adding water to my PS colorpicker.

PS: will those COW medal like things start to appear again next to user's names after winning a round?

Last edited by Bralt Hannicart; February 22nd, 2009 at 05:41 AM.
    Visit my site at www.bralt.be

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This seems to be taking off quite okay so far, thanks again MJ

Bralt Hannicart: We're looking into that now, since it requires some privileges beyond just being a moderator in here. Don't worry, if we can't work something out we'll just drag Fozzy back in here once in a while to update those

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats Jaecks! Awesome topic this week I just had to enter, sad that I couldn't make it last week. Here is just a quick draft of what I came up with so far. It doesn't look too colossusy, but I'll figure it out somehow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my first WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've never entered a COW, mostly cos i dunno how to go about it. However, with this topic, what's the position about mythological creatures that have scared people? For instance Kraken, Cthulhu and such? Those will be rejected if it's entered? How original does this have to be?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your design should be original and your own creation.

That said, if you take a look through some of the past rounds of COW, you'll notice we all take inspiration from the past, as well as the natural world, and that inspiration informs our work.

But instead of painting HP Lovecraft's Cthulhu
    You should paint Cookiedough's _____________ (fill in the blank.)

Also, keep in mind... monsters like Cthulhu, The Kraken, Medusa, etc are really unique entities.. ie, they're technically characters according to the COW rules. Be sure to make your design a member of a massive species native to Hell.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kay.. i´ve done some sketches to find an idea for this hell-creature but i´m still searching for the right form
    ( and don´t drawing euphoric the final one like in the last cow )

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FAST ART For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whahoo! This could be very interresting for me. This time it will be BIG!
    Everybody an acherontic drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, first post on CA! Fancied getting involved with this COW, although I may well not make the date as I'm super busy at the moment.

Here are a couple of rough doodles of my initial ideas for my "Colossus from Hell!" the Tortuant - a species born and bred purely to torture the dammed souls of hell. First image is a rough sketch of my initial anatomy ideas (plus scale), the second a more detailed image of the head. I imagine that it's spines and venom cause horrifying nightmares and hallucinations, and can induce every kind of pain known and unkown to man.

I'm going for a spidery kind of creature, but want it to appear kind of fleshy and spikey rather than hairy - basically I'm trying to take what I find scariest and most repulsive in the natural world as inspiration for my creature. At the moment it is perhaps a little too spidery and I want to experiment and make it a bit more unique.

Last edited by Wilko; February 22nd, 2009 at 05:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so i'm trying to pull from old testament kinda pagan idol stuff with mine so far... not sure whether i think it's looking good or ridiculous

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Wacky Wackowski For This Useful Post:

Darkwolf currently lives in the wilds of Pembrokeshire, and rumours of Donner Party goings on are to be fully discounted!
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats on getting mod-ship, your mod-ship jaecks! *grins* I'm interested, but we'll have to wait and see how much puter time I have (or whether my bleedin' GFX card will be replaced soon...)

Heh, but yeah, interested!

"Most people have to be mad to work here... I live in one of the few places you have to be mad to live here..."
    -Darkwolf (aka Jamie Thomas Durbin)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.