Tablet

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Tablet

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Tablet

I have a Bamboo Fun Small, and I reallly want bigger and better, i'm thinking Intuos3, but as a 13 year old, parents can't aford to buy me one, i must work for one - but.. i am not old enough for a job ! How can i make enough money to buy one? asayisarts.deviantart.com < thats my online portfolio, as you can see, i'm not to great at painting yet, i'm good at traditional art, i want to get alot better though, i like drawing, but my tablet isn't cut out for doing sketchs, i'm to cramped and i want different pens, more features, more fun. i want to jump on my computer when i get home from school, open up painter x and just draw a picture, and have fun and be as loose as possible, which i can't do with my bamboo... my parents say ' your lucky you even have a tablet, why do you need a bigger one? deal with what you have ' so i figured, i have to make the money myself... but i can't..

can anybody help me with how i can make money for the things i need to help me improve at my art?

thanks in advanced
    ryan

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    ' your lucky you even have a tablet, why do you need a bigger one? deal with what you have '
    qft

I could not even afford paints when i was your age. I would draw with printing paper and that was it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rist View Post
    qft

I could not even afford paints when i was your age. I would draw with printing paper and that was it.
    forget the age... age doesn't matter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I looked at some of your stuff on da and I think you should stick with traditional drawing and get solid foundation skills before moving to digital art. It'll make you a better artist in the long run. I know it's fun to play around on the computer but I suggest you forget about the tablet for a while.

-Juhani

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're looking for money, then get a job.. Or, what kind of answer were you looking for? If there was some quick easy way of making money, we'd all be doing that. And chill out with the attitude, Rist was just letting you know that you ARE lucky to have what you have.

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm still using the $50 Graphire 3 that I got for my birthday back in high school. I'm only just now in a position to really save up and make the commitment of a bigger Intous 3 and I'm 24.

A tablet is just a tool, and you already have one. It may not have all the uber professional features, but that's not what's ultimately going to make you a better artist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm still using the $50 Graphire 3 that I got for my birthday back in high school.
    How many pen tips ago was that ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    am i missing something is their differnet pens for the bamboo and intuos i thought only like 3 differnt pens and they only worked for the cintiq. i wouldnt worrie about those other pens they have some functionality but their nothing to kill your self over

-Demo-
    -Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
    My Blog
    Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
    -Facebook(always on but never post)-

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
    If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo View Post
    am i missing something is their differnet pens for the bamboo and intuos i thought only like 3 differnt pens and they only worked for the cintiq. i wouldnt worrie about those other pens they have some functionality but their nothing to kill your self over
    No. The pens work for the cintiq and intuos3 line. The 6d art pen, an airbrush, and the grip pen. There's also a classic pen they produced for the SE ones but they really aren't different than the grip pen that comes with the tablet.

Yes, the intuos is a great difference from a bamboo and graphire, but if you don't understand the foundations of drawing, a fancier tablet isn't going to do jack. I mean I see it so much where people get caught up with tools because "So and so uses it!" Moleskin, Cintiqs, Sai Paint, etc... It's great for the companies that produce it, but it really doesn't help artists that are still learning.

That being said, if you still want an intuos so bad...

When I was 12 I had an allowance in turn for doing chores around the house, I also washed neighbor's cars and cut their lawns. I also had a paper route. At 14 I was working at Burger King to keep making money, and I'm a girl. So it's entirely possible at your age to find a way to earn money.

If your parents give you an allowance, instead of blowing it on video games or entertainment, if you want that tablet so bad, save the money. If you don't get an allowance, bargain with your parents. Instead of going to the movies, or getting the latest electronic gadgets, video games etc... Tell your parents, can we save the money for the tablet I want?

Show your parents you're really working to use that tablet. Don't just draw Dragonball, Naruto and comic book characters because your parents will think your drawing is a phase. Start doing studies on life drawing, anatomy (within reason, since parents get funny if their kids are drawing nudes - you'll probably be safe drawing Bridgman) offer to draw their portraits, over and over again. Offer to draw the family dog, Offer to draw the house. Draw a lot of things, not just digitally but traditionally too.

Right now you're 13 and just discovering what you can do. Also at 13 our hormones fire off and make us do crazy stuff, we may end up wanting to be one thing, and discovering we'll be something else. So this is the time you gotta fight it and stay focused. Most artists I know of were serious where it didn't matter what tool he/she used to become a pro. Show your parents that this is not a phase, and I'm sure they'll see your serious enough where eventually you'll get the supplies you need, not just want.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Priorities. Get some.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would draw with printing paper and that was it.
    That's still what I mostly draw with...

Also, what Arshes Nei said. Paper routes are good for someone your age. The pay sucks, but at least it's something. How bout mowing your neighbors lawn?

I'd also have to agree that it's waaay more important to draw traditionally at this point in your development. Michaelangelo didn't have a tablet.

If you really must have a bigger tablet, try finding one used. I found my 9x12intuos 2 on craigslist for half the price of a new one. Does the same thing as an intuos 3, just doesn't look as cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Send your portfolio to Ubisoft or Blizzard, secure a job as a staff artist, take your first check and buy a tablet.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Good luck kid!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was always like that as a kid: I wanted something, didnt have the money, parents who told me to get my own money but was too young. I looked for EVERYTHING I could do to get money. I did band gigs, I modified video game consoles, I fixed people's computers, EVERYTHING. but nothing I did yielded enough for what I wanted.

I didn't get a tablet till I was 17 and bought it with my own work money.

I don't know if you've played an instrument, but it's kinda like that. sure, electric guitars sound awesome, but if you talk to any instructor or die hard musician, they'll tell you to learn on an acoustic then get the electric.

same with tablets and paper dude.

SKETCHBOOK COMING SOON!

I CANT USE CUSTOM PICTURES IN A SIG?! PREPOSTEROUS!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, thank you everyone. this helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't know if this might help, but I can tell you I have a very old Graphire 1 A6 tablet, whiche has the worst specs you could ever look for: 512 levels of pressure and 1015 lpi resolution (while yours has 2540 for what I know). It sometimes tends to tremble too.
    I had it for a good ten years now...

one of my last works is this one:
    http://www.azzart.it/public/emperor_new_clothes.jpg
    which isn't a masterpiece, but not even the worst thing you could ever see.

this just for saying you don't really need the very best tool out there just to draw or paint as you want.
    with time you get used to what you have and do the best you can with it, I don't really feel the need for a larger or better tablet. The only reason I could see for changing for a larger one would be if you want to draw with long, loose strokes, but as long as we talk about big, detailed illustrations I rarely come across those kind of strokes
    but then for the loose strokes, after trying other larger tablets I still feel the good old pencils on paper work better

The greatest pictorial value lies in all the things the camera cannot do.

my animavatar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i've seen sum great stuff done with the bamboo but if ya think its time for you to move on then have a go at it , save sum money , buy the stuff. nothing beats a trial.

my best advice would be to try it out first and then buy , get a friend who has one and just mess with it for 2 days or more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sure there are things that you can do around your neighbourhood that can fetch you some money. Also, ever consider selling your bamboo if you're really adamant about getting an Intuos?

Regarding those that are of the opinion "Do with that you have." I quote from the timeless wisdom of Daniel Burleigh Parkhurst:
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Burleigh Parkhurst
    You must have something to paint with. The brushes are most important; in kind, variety, and number. You cannot economize safely here.

You must have paints. And you must have good ones. The best are none too good. Get the best. Pay a good price for them, use them freely, but don't waste them.

And you must have something to hold them, and to mix them on; but here the quality and kind has less effect on your work than any other of your tools. But as the cost of the best of palettes is slight, you may as well get a good one.

Now, if you will be economical, the way to do it is to take proper care of your tools after you have got them. Form the habit of using good tools as they should be used, and that will save you a great deal of money.
    Obtain the best tools you can possibly equip yourself with and take good care of them. Much like how Maria Sharapova does not play with a $5 Fisher Price racquet, neither did Michelangelo create the Pieta with a rock and hammer. Both obtained the very best tools that were suited for the job that were available to them. It is true, good tools do not make you better, but less-stellar tools do not help; if anything, they help to hinder.

If ASAYISARTS wishes to work with the digital medium, obtaining the best possible tools are in his best interest.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to LightCastsShadows For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LightCastsShadows View Post
    If ASAYISARTS wishes to work with the digital medium, obtaining the best possible tools are in his best interest.
    This is for those thinking the medium will make their art better because those with the most expensive toys win, not those that know from expirence how to get the most out of what they have.

-Demo-
    -Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
    My Blog
    Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
    -Facebook(always on but never post)-

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
    If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    You can try and get one but it wont make you any better. Stick with pencils for at least 4 more years before taking the leap. Computer Graphics is like jumping into the deep end with a boulder tide to you; the only way to survive is if you know HOW to untie the boulder from you before you drown.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I partly agree with LightCastShadows. Having better tools means you don't have to worry too much about the medium itself(when using them), which is a good thing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo View Post
    This is for those thinking the medium will make their art better because those with the most expensive toys win, not those that know from expirence how to get the most out of what they have.
    I wasn't aware that Art was a competition.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bigger tablets don't make your art better or more accurate. They only make the work more comfortable in a physical way.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LightCastsShadows View Post
    I wasn't aware that Art was a competition.
    Of course it is.

Either, you're doing it to gain attention because you see all the cool kids comment on your DA page or whatever gallery you dream of having a lot of visits upon.

You're trying to get a job.

There's some competitiveness in doing art, which is also why it's enjoyable. The challenge of expressing yourself even if not for the above reasons is a competition too.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.