Thanks

Looking at scanners , can't decide.

Hai , so I'm looking for a decent-ish scanner but can't decide on the specs. I'm on a very tight budget and the only ones I can find within my budget are these two , one scanner and the other one is an all-in-one canon.

ALL-IN-ONE:
    http://site-my.canon-asia.com/index....pe=mp145_specs

Normal Scanner:
    http://site-my.canon-asia.com/index....e=lide25_specs

The all in one has a 600 dpi scan other one is 1200 dpi. I'm not sure how much difference in scan is there between those two ( 600 vs 1200 dpi) , I would've just went with the Lide but if 600 dpi is all I would need , i'd just go with the Pixma because my printer just broke a few weeks back .

Another thing that is confusing me is the "19200 dpi (through software interpolation)" which is in both of them , what does this mean actually?

I'll be using the scanner only for quick sketches , and for scanning crap studies to post in my sketchbook , not looking for high level scans but I will be using it for my final project at school too .

All replies would be much appreciated.

Sorry4badengrish

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I never use more than 150 dpi, so, the difference in 600 dpi or 1000000 dpi is ZERO, because you're not going to be using it at all. It is pointless. Seriously.

Thanks
    Really ? I don't want to get something I wouldn't use but I don't know just how does a 600 dpi scan looks like . Would 600 be sufficient for a student?

Thanks
    I have a Canon Pixma, for scanning paper is one of the best I've seen but you can't scan 3D objects because it has issues with depth.

Really ? I don't want to get something I wouldn't use but I don't know just how does a 600 dpi scan looks like . Would 600 be sufficient for a student?
    600DPI is more than enough for anything, some people are really fussy and will only scan at 1200DPI for reasons I can't comprehend.
    Last edited by Portus; February 20th, 2009 at 11:23 AM.

Thanks
    Hey,what do you mean 3d Objects ? Like sketchbooks / hardcovers ?

Thanks
    Like pencils, pens, jewelry, beans... the scanner will not pick up the depth and will scan it as if it was flat. You can recherche further on this issue but if you just want to scan sketches and pencil drawings it's fantastic so ignore the 3D part.

Thanks
    Thanks for the help , I bought the Pixma just now and it is working great so far. 600 Dpi is more than enough for me , I'm glad I didn't get the 1200 dpi one , that would've been overkill...

Hah my first print was my brother's class schedule , I'm such a good brother ^_^'

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexism View Post
    Standard print is 300 dpi. So if you want your final print to be the same size as whatever your scanning, 300 is sufficient. If you want to print twice as large, you'd need 600, ect.