comic/illustration semi-pros

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: comic/illustration semi-pros

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

comic/illustration semi-pros

Hi folks, my son needs a volunteer whose doing cartoon or comic illustration in a professional or semi-professional way, (with or without 3d graphics) to answer a few questions about their work. It's for final exams. Any takers?

1- How do you view fine art/modern art? Do you think that there is a gulf between fine art and comic book art? Why?
    _
    2-What comparisons would you make between modern art and comic book art?
    _
    3-To you is being acomic book artist just_a job or a passion?
    _
    4-Did you study art at University/College? If so why? And while you were there did you find any objection towards comic book art from fine art teachers?
    _
    5-How long have you been a comic book artist?
    _
    6-Do you see comic book art as just illustration or an art form? Why?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1. Fine art has always had an effect on both modern art and popular art i.e comics. The most succesful comic book artists have been the ones that have learned from the old masters and have applied the same principles to their craft. One example would be the influence that both gustave dore and alphonse mucha have had on the comics world, to mention only two. Art is art, and the comicbook art form has it's own place in the art world. Both as an evolution of a past art form and as a stepping stone to another.

2.I think the first answer covers that pretty well.

3.It starts as a passion that turns into a job then both gradually fuse together.

4.I studied at different places and in different art programs.
    I studied life drawing, architecture, composition etc. and the reason why is because you need to cover all these areas to be succesful. Example: you can't say to an editor " I can draw the people but not the house they live in" so you have to learn to draw everything. Comic book art isn't very popular in any art education institution. It's viewed as dificult to be part of as the film industry if you wanted to be an actor. So teachers try to guide you in a direction they consider reachable.

5. Seven years.

6. Comic book art is also called narrative art, It's also called sequential art. Some people compare it to the prehistoric cave paintings you've seen in books in the sense that man has been telling stories with drawings for a long time. It is definately an art form. It has rules, traditions, techniques that have been established and passed on for a long time.

My name is Anwar Madrigal, I'm a comic book artist from Los angeles, Ca. you can view my work at my official website.
    www.madpencil.com
    I hope this has been helpful to you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're a star, a thoughtful response, thank you and I'm of to view your work
    Peter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi.
    gotta be quick. deadlines hurtle forward

1) unfortunatly i feel the gap between fine art and comic book art comes not from the comic fans but the fine art side. I have dealt with both sides for years and the fine art crowd can be very snooty. Its actually a bit of a bug bear of mine because although i was promised an A for my art finals a few tears ago the examiner thought my comic stuff was "stupid" and gave me a D. a fail basically. my uncle is a very succesful pro fine artist and he hates it as much as i do. He often remarks on how the fine art comunity spends more time ytelling each other how good wonderful they are than actually being artists That may only br the UK though.
    Of course, most of my friends who are comic book fans are also very heavily into the fine artists. Some have fine art degrees but were so dissolutioned that they became desginers/boat builders or tree surgeons instead.

2) in the uk the links between fine and comic art is getting stronger. with the likes of banksey and hewlett hanging around with the numedia and the britart crew they have definatly started to feed on each other. Also, most of the comic book artists come out of the same education system so are influenced by similar schools/tutors.

3) a passion. it has to be, otherwise i'd be in advertising actually, i have found myself recently pulling away from comics as i was starting to get disinterested as it was becoming 'just a job'. i was anylising them rather than enjoying them. a common enough thng with anything after a few years.

4) studied art for a couple of months at a local collage. they didnt get comics at all and were more of the 'stick things to canvas' arthouse crew. i found it difficult because the knew less about the old master and techniques.anatomy than i did but insisted there was no need for it as 'art is about expression now'. i'm getting riled just thnking about it. thats changing now though. i think thngs like the matrix and such has shaken thier design dept up.

5) on and off for about 14 (oh god) years. starting with home made comic books and moving up to the small independant titles.

6) an art form. everything you create with intent for it to be aetheticly pleasing is art. wether its got a practicle use or not.
    i always believe that the artisan is more valid than the artist. a nice bowl gives me more pleasure than a sculpture. but that may be me

good luck mate,
    if you want to be an comicbook artist you can. put the hours in, learn your trade and you'll have no problem. its one of the most satisfying jobs you can have, if not the best paid

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

comic book art

Many thanks for taking the time, there's lots to mull over in what you've said.
    Peter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1- I feel that comci book art is more commercial art however there are some books by such artists as JM Lisner and the crew at Red Star that I view as fine art.
    _
    2-Comic book art for the most part could be viewed by the public as "pop art".
    _
    3-Well let's just put it this way, I am too dumb too quit. I have been doing this for 10 years now so it is now in my blood.
    _
    4-I have a BFA from an university in graphic design. The professors for the most part viewed it as "whimsical" till I started showing them I was making money at it.
    _
    5-10 years but I have wanted to do this since I was 8 (I am 33 now)

6An artform because of the sequential art and line weight of the images. The art has to flow.

Don Pedicini Jr.
    comic book artist, and inker also

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.