Sketchbook: ~5,000 Gesture Drawing Challenge~ Learning to Draw SketchBook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

~5,000 Gesture Drawing Challenge~ Learning to Draw SketchBook

Skip to page 3 for Gestures

Nov. 29th

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I always looked at this site but never thought to every post anything up. But here I am ready to make the next step to becoming a better artist! I know I need a lot of improvement but Im willing to put the time and effort to become better. My dream is to become a 3D character animator and with hard work, dedication, and my constant hunger to learn I know that dream will come true one day!!! ☺
    It’s going to be a hard climb up the mountain, but Im ready!
    Excited to post my artwork and watch my progress. I am opened to critiques and any opinions. Happy to join the Concept Art community ☺

Image: I did this last semester. We worked on it gradually over the semester. Its drawn on mylar paper. On the back drew the bones and on the front drew muscles. Used water color pencils.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DeterminedAnimator; November 29th, 2010 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Trying to figure out how to put a picture for my sketchbook :p
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow these are so freakin big. Anyone know how I can shrink them?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You will have to resize them on your computer. Do you have any programs for that?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea I have Photoshop, I lowered the Resolution so I think it might work this time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok I think i understand how to upload and make the pictures smaller now :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Had a little free time this morning before class. Reference is from Anatomy for the Artist. I really want to be able to get better at drawing portraits. I warmed up my arm like crazy before I started this drawing and kept focusing on staying loose. Big problem I have is not staying loose! :p I like the way it turned out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good start .. important thing is to be consistent and keep updating regularly ...good studies btw.. if youre into animation you might wanna start drawings some quick gestures for practice.. try going to posemaniacs.com and drawing the quick poses if you dont have access to real life figures.....might help you out.. keep it up !

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dchung For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

February 20th, 2009

dchung: Thanks a lot! And I definitly will post regularly!

Yup i know about posemaniac, just found out about it a month ago and I love the website. Couldnt go to sleep without drawing from the website. Here a few 30sec gesture drawings. Dont like the way they turned out, need to be more loose. Going to try to make it to the Philly Sketch club tomorrow to get more figure drawing in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Feb. 20th, 2009

Here are some quick sketches I did while I was in my Observing Humans class. In class we sit in a big circle so its easier for me to draw people :p
    The weird guy was a new student in the class and he stood right in front of me... O.O

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

February 20th, 2009

Here are some sketches I did at the figure drawing class today. People at the Plastics Club are really friendly. Sessions are 3hours. Here are 2 40min poses and 1 20min pose. Dont like the way they turned out. But next time I go I will do better!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start! Stay motivated! Check out the Andrew Loomis books, you can download them online and they're great for learning how to figure draw.

Rook's Sketchbook

Critiques and advice welcome!

"Pick up that pencil and start changing your life..."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to polarRook For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    polarRock- Thanks man! Will definitely stay motivated! I do have all the Loomis books downloaded. Mostly reading and drawing from his chapters on perspective, but I will check out his figure book since you mentioned it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

February 21st, 2009

Today was a good day to get my mind away from things and re-boot. Here is a crappy self portrait. Need to work on my proportions more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

February 22, 2009

Today I mostly spent studying for my art history test and working on my film project. I drew very little today but going to practice using a China Brush tonight to get a feel for it. Here is a quick hand study, I know I could do a lot better then this but here it is...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

February 23rd, 2009

At my school every Monday nights we have a free 2 hour figure drawing session. Here are some of the drawings. Today I experimented with ink. I used a pen and a #2 water color brush. We did quick gestures, portraits, and shadow drawings. I plan on experimenting more with ink in the future, I really enjoyed using it Last pic was a memory drawing of anatomy I studied.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

February 24th, 2009

Today I took my art history test and did amazing. After the test I just sat around and drew my hand then a few people in the room. Today was kind of a downer because Im not where I want to be with my drawing skills. In my storyboarding class I know Im the worst when it comes to drawing. Pisses me off so much. Sometimes I do get those bad thoughts of doubt, but what I need to do is step my game up. Angry at myself cause I know I could draw better. Will post my storyboarding homework when Im done touching it up. I HAVE TO STOP BULLSHITTING AND STOP DRAWING LIKE A DAM KID. But the thing that keeps me going is my girlfriend. She is my support and I Love her so much for it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dont think I mentioned this but the story boarding class is my favorite class. The teacher is amazing and he has taught me so much. My teacher is the reason why I want to get better at drawing. I want to show him that I am a hard worker and Im serious about Animation being my career. But one thing I need to do is ask him for more advice. Next week Im going to show him my sketchbooks and ask him what I should do. SO MOTIVATED TO DRAW AND GET BETTER!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

February 25th, 2009

Today was a long day for me. Finally finished my animation homework, then after that I did some drawing These are 30sec gesture poses and the other one was an attempted self-portrait. At first I thought the portrait was goin good then I realized I messed up on the proportions. Need to start light and keep checking my proportions along the way! In 2weeks it will be Spring break and this will give me an opportunity to draw a lot and going to more life drawing classes ! So Im hoping during that week I will obtain at least a little improvement in my drawing skills.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

February 26th, 2009

Today I decided to look through the Andrew Loomis Book "Fun With A Pencil". I really like the way he teaches about form. I did a lot of funny face drawings. Drawing these faces where a lot of fun!! I was enjoying it a lot!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

February 28th, 2009

Here is some of the homework that I have been working on. Assignment for the comic book was to have two characters that are opposite from each other (fat guy, hot waitress) and have them order something from the other character and have a surprise in the food. Basically the fat guy orders a "Creamy Clam Chowder Soup" (yes creamy is a big hint) waitress comes back with the soup and her hair is messed up and her buttons are un-done. Fat guy finds condom wrapper next to his soup, doesnt care cause he is hungry. Stirs his soup, picks up his spoon and finds a condom. Thinks nothing of it and eats the soup Another assignment I was working on today was to study composition from an old movie. Comic book isnt done, going to re-do a lot of drawings. So much homework this weekend!!!

Comic book was a weekly homework assignment. This weeks homework is to make drawing corrections and start inking it and finish story boarding old movie (Minimum 30shots)

Last edited by DeterminedAnimator; December 28th, 2010 at 01:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

February 28th, 2009

Went to the sketch club this morning. Started out with light blue cool erase then used the black cool erase pencil. Going to go to the mall today and draw a little bit at the food court. Then im going to try to finish most of my story boarding homework.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

continued Feb. 28th, 2009

Today I had a busy day. Here I have some 5min poses from sketch club. Went to the mall and drew for a little bit. And the composition studies for my story boarding home work. Wish I finished it but I will get it all done tomorrow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

March 1st, 2009

Today was a descent day for drawing. Finished my storyboard composition homework, spent 15min gesture drawing and did a self portrait. Messed up on the eyes and I hate that the picture is blurry. Cant wait for spring break! From Friday to Sunday im going to be the laziest person in the world!!!! But im still going to draw :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

March 2nd, 2009

Drew from this little toy model I have in my room. Drew some quick faces from posemaniac.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

March 3rd, 2009

All of the drawing time I spent today was on the comic Im making for my story boarding class. With the advice from the teacher I was able to improve the look of the Diner and with his help improved the composition on the panel with all the people in it. Amazing teacher, really happy Im taking the class. I know my drawing skills and knowledge are weak right now but because of this class Im motivated to improve day by day!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

March 4th, 2009

After class focused most of my time witting my 8 page paper that is due Friday. Did very little drawing today. Drew more funny looking heads with the Loomis method. And drew a quick little self portrait. Cant wait till Friday! Need a mini break :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

March 6th, 2009

I drew yesterday but too lazy to look for it :p But drew from Loomis today. Excited spring break started! Going to do a lot of drawing starting Monday. Now im just going to enjoy this weekend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

March 8th, 2009

Had a fun weekend!!!! Blew off a lot of steam Tomorrow Im going to start going to the sketch club everyday this week since I dont have any classes, also going to try to finish up a few essays that are due in a couple of weeks. But did a self portrait today to start the week off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

March 9th and 10th, 2009

Here are some drawings I have been working on. Drew from the Andrew Loomis book again and came up with some of my own funny faces. Also added one of my subconscious drawings that I do sometimes. Went to the sketch club today, Not too happy how it turned out. Didnt have a chance to go to the sketch club yesterday cause something came up. Finished 1 of 4 essays I want to finish this week ^.^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

March 11th, 2009

Didnt get to post this yesterday. Was inking from morning to the afternoon on my comic. Its taking me a lot longer then I thought it would take. Did a quick sketch of my toy elephant before going to sleep. And went to the Sketch Club later that night.

Last edited by DeterminedAnimator; November 24th, 2010 at 03:23 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2