Sketchbook: 8.24.12 - Zebz Sketchbook - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great portraits!They really have life and personality! Keep up the good work

Starr

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome work in here!

I must say your 3D-modeler is one scary *@¤%, nice intensity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nick: I liked this one when I did it. Now I really hate it. lol I got excited trying out new brushes and it's all too soft to me. I've gone back and tried to rework it but it's not finished yet. Bleh. Thanks for the support. Doing these have been tough. I feel this crazy pressure to get them to look like the people since I'm doing them for my coworkers. I'm glad to be almost done. I'm sick of it. Ha!

cgaddict: Thanks, I'm pretty happy with how he turned out.

Starr: Thank you. That's what I aim for! Don't always meet my goals but I try to keep my brain clear enough to make something happen.

Juki: lol Thanks! He's quite friendly actually. Just don't go near him when he gnawing on a severed arm. Ha!

Thanks again for all the comments. I'm sure you're all just as bored with this portraits as I've become. I have more sketches and stuff I want to post but I'm holding off as I'm kind of wanting to have some nice presentation stuff to go along with this new "side project" that I'm doing for fun. More on that later. The rest of the sketches are just boring scribbles that no one really would want to look at.

I'm trying to focus more on idea generation and just creating images/ideas quickly in my personal work. Just getting my thoughts out onto the paper rather then getting caught up in rendering or even worrying about things being too correct. I often lose sight of the entire image and lose myself in rendering an eyeball. Today I took an hour to sort of focus doodle an idea straight from my head to paper. I did a couple but this one was the most successful.

The first image I'm posting is some doodles I did while watching The Dark Crystal the other night. I really liked these leafy critters and when I started scribbling today I made them the focus on my drawing, the next drawing you see below. It was my goal to just get the general shapes down without noodling in details or rendering too much. So this is kind of a gestural drawing I shaped up and the next step is to clean it up and maybe even paint it. It's not finished yet but I'll be working on it off and on as I have time. Wish I could post concept art from work but sadly I cannot. lol Maybe in the future tho! That's why I need to push on my own stuff more.

Enough talking, more scribbles. Hope you like them. Take care and thanks for looking. - Z

Attached Images Attached Images    

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zebz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, fine here's another crappy portrait. lol This is the revised version of the first one you can see on the page before this one. Still pretty bleh. I'm probably just going to cheat on the last couple so I can finish this blasted portrait project and be rid of it! Ha! - Z

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to see some drawings,they both have a lot of character. The second one is awesome, you should definitely finish it!
    Portrait is an improvement, has less of that flash blown-out look to it. Could still use more work on edges but i know youre sick of these.

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As SirGreenSock mentioned, there's marked improvement in the portrait in post #124. I can see you fixed the forehead, right cheek/jaw and chin. Looks a lot more natural now, kudos.

As for the "scribbles" I think you succeeded. You said you were trying to stop rendering as much and just get the shapes down. It's good to change things up. Love the idea of the tree-guys.

And ahah, yeah. The Dark Crystal is awesome.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice updates - really dig the humorous character concept - any chance you'll paint any of theme? Those critters deserve to be painted!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GreenSock: Thanks, man. Yea, I'm trying to loosen up and move towards having more fun when I draw. Really just wanting to lay things down and move on. I'll probably work more on that one a bit tho. I have already but I think I might paint it up. Thanks for the feedback regarding the portraits too. I'm sick of 'em. lol

Captain Maelstrom: Thanks for the comments! Yea, they're hit and miss but I guess there is some growth there. lol And thanks for the comments on the doodles. I'm a renderer. But I want to be more of a drawer/idea generator. Doesn't mean I can't flesh things out every now and then tho, right?! lol

parsakoria: Thanks!

CGaddict: Thanks! Yea, I think I might at some point. Those were kind of fun to doodle out. They have a bit of life in them.

So I'm getting ready to head out for a few days to LA for my 1 year anniversary with my lovely wife. But I had so much fun this week working on this personal scifi project I've been toying around with lately and I can't help but post a bit of all the things I created for it. I have a lot of sketches and things to say but for now I'll just post a few of the drawings and renders of some head concepts for the mechanic character I worked up for this fake game.

I basically created a loose narrative/game design document in order to give my personal work a jolt and to document a full game design process/progress. When I sit down at my sketchbook I know I need to work on any given number of things for this side project so it keeps my pencil moving. It keeps me from getting bored. Heh. I'll explain it more at length later, I'm sure. For now I'll just offer this small bit of what I've started on.

I'm sort of exploring how to present these as well. So the graphics and presentation aren't final. I just don't have enough time at the moment to flesh it out and work out the kinks. Feedback on that would be greatly appreciated. Hope you like! Just painting these faces up makes me so excited for the potential for what could come out of this. It's like I'm working for two game companies at once only I can show the stuff I develop for this fake one! lol Have a great weekend and thanks again for all the feedback. Take care.

- Ryan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With regards to your latest post, I dig how you make cartoony characters look realistic!

Everything is better with dinosaurs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, i love how youre carrying the similar characterization through different forms! I like 4 and 5 best, they have the same character feel as the rest, but still feel different. First three strike me as more typical of what one would imagine of a sci-fi mechanic, minus a moustache haha

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great i love the sketches!!!The portraits are becoming better.Well about the textures and such, no need to change what you want as your personal characteristic just think how you can improve it, how you can make it work in your aid.
    Keep up the good work!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your caricatures and more stylized stuff is looking great, but once you gt realistic it seems like you need more work.

to help that keep working on observation and add more still lives in color

VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 645 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your concepts are rocking! Love how solid and functional they look.
    Those characters and environments in the first page are killers, totally awesome

Not much constructive criticism but just wanted to throw in some support.
    Looks gooooooood

Take care and keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are lookin incredible man! Keep up the awesome work! I can't wait to see where this goes!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work is whats driving me to strive even harder in my work! Thanks

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the different character heads sheet. Good job on them!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love the updates! them concepts look great. I really enjoy yor updates.

Björn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it's been a pretty crappy week. We're up to my second lay off in this sketchbook thread. lol Showed up to work last week and a sign on the door said the company was closing its doors. So here we are! Unemployed again! If you guys know of any positions I'd be totally up for looking into some of them. In the meantime here is some of the concept work I did for the game that will never be. I have much more and will be updating bit by bit over the next couple days. Or you can just visit my website. Thanks for looking and take care.

** I removed the images because now you can just view them in the post below**

Ryan

EDIT:

Trexmaster: It's all about how you render the form! Thanks!

SirGreenSock: Thanks, man. I actually took your advice and went with one of those.

KingKostas: Thanks, buddy.

Vastel: Thanks. I don't work too much from life anymore now that I've been working. It's an exercise in retraining my eyes.

LineBo: Thanks a lot!

Dock: Not incredible enough to keep my job. lol

Janos: Thanks, so much!

B-Man: Much appreciated. Glad you like the stuff.

Last edited by Zebz; July 30th, 2010 at 02:53 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That sucks Zebz, but Im sure you'll find more work soon! You've improved tons and have experience in just about anything judging from your portfolio! Best of luck!
    Love those goblins and all the variations, mustve been fun to figure out.

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry to hear about the studio closing man, that must be really stressful.
    The portfolio looks good and i'm sure you won't have problems getting back on track.In any case, best of luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice sketches, I love them!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SirGreenSock: Yea, I'm a bit all over the board. Hopefully I can find someone who can use one of my skill sets. Aren't you looking for a job too?

TheGnoll: Thanks, buddy. In the meantime you should teach me a bit about how you draw such beautiful, lively characters! I need more energy in my work. Something I intend to try and work out while the layoff is happening.

PixelCheetah: Thank you very much!

So they pretty much took most of our work before kicking us out but I did have a few images as you can see below. Most of my character work and sketch work is no longer available to me. But this is about what I have to show for the last year and three months. Terrible that things had to end so abruptly but there will just be something better around the corner, right? Hope you like some of the work. I think it shows improvement in a few areas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh mannnnnn i love love love your pencil work it's amazing. i saved some of your pencil sketches to my "amazing art" folder lol. my mind's blown dude, the creatures and colored pieces are great too, you have a really confident coloring style. definitely gonna check back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! It's been a while! Sorry about that. ;o) Just been working and being busy with life. I finished this Hellboy portrait last night and figured I'd toss it up here for old times sake! Need to get back into the habit of posting that. I feel like every year or so I keep reviving this thread and making promises I don't keep! lol Anyway, hope you like it. Might have some prints made of this one. Just a small, limited run. Anyone interested? Thanks for looking and take care!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still no comments? Man, my sketchbook thread here at CA has really become a disappointment! lol

So yesterday I was thinking about other potential illustrations for the future and I started thumbnailing some potential compositions for a Harry Potter themed image. It got me curious what my version of Harry might look like.

So I did a few quick pencil sketches of some fun versions of Harry. And I thought this one was too cute not to toss some color on. Just about and hour or two in Photoshop. Plus I figured I owed you guys something cute since might have scared some of you off with my big, ugly Hellboy image. lol Hope you like my scribble!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Zebz! Yeah CA has gone quiet nowadays (and CGhub sketchbooks never picked up to begin with)...not many places left to consistently get crits online anymore

Your work has really gone a long way. I envy the variety and yet staying consistent with execution! I still havent found a consistent way of painting and getting repeated results haha oops

I like the Hellboy piece, nice mesh of your style with the existing design. I like the lighting and the treatment of the cut horns. I wish there was more tonal variation in his skintone, the consistent reds with the white highlights make the skin look too opaque imo.
    Anyway, don't get disheartened about posting! If anyone else is like me, I check CA and CGhub every day, just might not bother to post every day anymore :X

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Nik! I'm really glad we've been able to stay in touch. I don't get to talk to many of the old guys and gals much these days. :o/ And you're right about CA and finding good places to get crits. I hardly find any feedback these days. I guess the few of us left should band together to really help hold one another up, eh? I do appreciate the feedback! Helps not not feel like I'm doing this stuff in a vacuum.

As for the Hellboy piece... glad you like it! It started out as a study for something more. But I couldn't stop working on it. Heh. I agree that the skin tone isn't the best. Red is a tough color to paint for skin. I think this is the best I've ever handled it but it always ends up getting too pink for me. Also, for some reason I've had big color issues with this image. Depending on your monitor, computer and color profile settings it can look very opaque and oversaturated. It's strange. For example on Deviantart I see it perfectly find in sRGB (as I've created and saved it... less saturated and a bit lighter). Then in my blog when I upload it the image looks way to blown out and oversaturated. It's strange, man. So that could be some of those issues too. I've spent last weekend getting everything calibrated. I suppose I'll have to live with it until I can figure something better out to do with it. Any tips? lol

At any rate, thanks for commenting. My first comment in a year! Ha! I'm trying to be better and posting more. Considering trying to get more into illustration while doing the full time gig on the side. So hopefully I'll be updating more regularly. Miss ya, dude! I always love your updates too. I'll be diligent and go post on yours before the weekend is out! Thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I understand what you mean about trying to avoid making the red skintone turn pink, so I did a superduper quick paintover of the hellboy piece to see if changing the colour towards the light might help.
    I used one layer set to 'color' and one set to 'pin light' to change the colour of the highlights to something a bit more red-orangey. Right now its a bit too glowy from the adjustment layers but I think it might help translate the local colour into the lights. Dont know if this is what you'd go for, just my own approach.
    In terms of colours looking wrong I have no idea, I've noticed it myself and heard complaints about different file formats and even different websites for some reason making colours look different....closest fix I've found is to use .png file format when its causing trouble, seems to be more consistent than .jpg but the file sizes are ridiculous in comparison!

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aha! Beautiful!! Maybe I'll go back in and make those adjustments before I run off the prints. I don't know why I didn't think of adding that orange in there. It does feel a little glowy but it might be nice to pull back the whites and pinks a bit. Thanks a ton, dude!

Y'kno what this means don't ya? I'm going to be bringing you into the circle of people I email while working on pieces! lol I went back and forth with my buddy Casey on this Hellboy piece while I was working on it. I nearly stopped very early but he kept pushing me on. Would you mind if from time to time I toss some stuff to you for feedback before I throw it at the internet? lol

Seriously, thanks for that. The fresh, artistic eyes really helps!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1