Sketchbook: 8.24.12 - Zebz Sketchbook - Page 4
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 8.24.12 - Zebz Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man!

saw all these posted on facebook (where i also read plenty of jellousy-inducing post about you awesome LV life ) and they look really cool (and great practice too).
    Really curious to see what you've been up to work-wise, but i guess its all under wraps.
    The sketches aren't crap as you say really, they would only show more confidence if you lost the scratchy lines by using stonger, more confident sweeping lines in the preliminary phase and only then you moved on to darker, more precise lines.There's always time to clean up the extra strokes later!
    Post more whenever you've got the time!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gnoll: Thanks for the post, man! Good to talk with you a bit on here. Jealousy. Pfft. lol Las Vegas is ghetto as hell, man! Ha! We're enjoying ourselves out here though. I wish I could show some of the work stuff but you're right about me not being able to at the moment. It will probably be a while before I can post anything as we're going to be in production for a long while yet. MMOs take a while. Heh. Hopefully this one gets released because I'm loving the art style we've been developing. It's really fun looking.

Thanks for the crits as well. As I was drawing these I felt like I needed to lose the scratchiness but my coworkers seem to like it. I mentioned to them what you said and they said they wanted me to keep it going because they thought it gave the images a bit of texture and was almost a style. lol I tend to agree more with you tho. I'll try to push for more confident brush strokes. I'm not the best painter but I feel like I'm improving. The color stuff I've been doing for work has been better then the other stuff I have on here. I need to kick my personal project into high gear so I can show more art other then portraits. lol Thanks for the help. If you have any links or ref that you think might help them please send 'em my way! Much appreciated.

Here's another one. Another one of our modelers from work. I tried to limit the scratchiness in this one. It was tough to really render since the forms were so soft. I love the more harshly lit forms where I can really pull out what the core shadow is, reflected light, cast shadow, etc. Anyhow... here you are. Till next time. - Z

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Zebz, nice to see you postin more regularly again!
    Portraits look great, gonna try adding a dash of colour to any of em?
    watch some of the blackness around the eyes, specially with eyelashes, theyre coming close to black if not black, which starts to create holes instead of form if that makes any sense?
    keep it up dude! but i wanna see some colours!

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hello zebz.Nice portraits you have done so far.I think that in post 83# and some more later you show the form on a better way thatn this last one.Ok its a style exploration so its ok but even in this style you have to find way to bring out the 3d forms more.You have great skills and i think you will improve them even more soon.keep up the good work!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    haha nice ports 83 is cool man! and yeah your totally right with what you said on my sb its something i need to work on but hey i also need to be able to paint, concept artists cant just draw loose line drawings and expect to get paid

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i probably didn't express myself correctly, i was referring specifically to the drawings you posted after your birthday some time ago, not about the more recent painting (where i do realize small strokes can be a distinguishing aspect of personal style).If you're talking about useful resources abut drawing in general, this is a cool blog to follow.If you where talking about the pencil sketches too, then yeah, style is what makes your drawings look like yours and its in your power to change it if you feel the need, otherwise it just sounds like a limit, doesn't it?
    Personal project..? i'm curious

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sir Greeeeeen: Thanks for the crit! I tend to paint things really dark and really light. I should probably push for a more subtle look I guess. With these I need to be consistent as they're all sort of belonging to a group of images but I'll try and take it back a few notches so there won't be too many "holes" in the image. My monitor might be too bright though as well. I might drop some color on to them later but for now they're just black and white as instructed by my art director. We're doing them on the side as a fun project for work. Thanks for stopping in! Best of luck as you prep to send your shit out! You're gonna be a star, dude.

kingkostas: Thanks you so much for stopping and in and for the great feedback. Yea, I basically had a ton of people at work send me photos and I did portraits from those. This last one was tough as most photos using flash are. It's all evenly lit and it's hard to really see what the form actually is. I'll try to be better about it. I think the ones with the stronger light source turn out better because it's easier to see the shadows and light cascading over everything. So it's my fault there on multiple levels. Thanks for the encouraging works, man.

krato: I hear ya. It's always nice to be able to render and stuff. I can usually render my ass off. But it holds me up. The guys who work as concept artists around my usually do less finished/polished work but they get a lot more done and are praised more often, I'd think. It's more valuable as a concept artist to be able to generate more ideas then fully rendered, painted, polished ideas. That comes later. I'm trying to force myself to sketch and just draw more without rendering but it's tough now that I've built up these bad habits. I'm more illustration oriented as a result and I'm forcing myself to unlearn things in order to become more of an idea generator. Just something to think about as you progress. This has been my experience at least.

Ryan: Thanks, man. Yea, I hear what you're saying and I agree with you. I'm a "searcher." I need to do that more lightly, I guess. At least give the appearance that I'm more confident. lol I'm trying more and more to force myself to finish a drawing quickly in one sitting without rendering and trying to make it all pretty and lifeless. lol You're the king of this. Anything you could teach me to push my gesture and idea generating ideas would really be helped. I need to up my speed with imaginative drawing. I've been kicking around some ideas which I'll talk about later but again I'd love feedback. Thanks again. Oh and that link looks great! I'll have to devour it! Ha!

Here's another portrait of my awesome art director at work. This dude is amazing and he's worked on some of the biggest titles in the industry. I'm so honored to have the opportunity to work under him. I have more sketches that I'll post later but for now I thought I'd offer up this. Thanks for looking. Crits and feedback always welcome. Take care.

Ryan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's another. This one started out well but I don't think it finished very well. I just have so many to do I need to keep pushing on through them. Plus I'm getting burnt out. lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont know what you mean, I rather like this portrait, i think you carried a nice bit of character in it. You can also tell youre loosening up a bit as these portraits progress, which is a good thing in that its more interesting, but be careful that you dont lose consistency eventually.
    How many more of these are you doing? Looks like a fun series.

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nick: Thanks, man. I think maybe I blasted it with to much texture or something. I don't care for it. There is some personality in there though, you're right. I appreciate the encouragement. lol These are a side project for work. We're getting ready to move into our new office and we're all getting swipe card/badges and my boss liked my portrait of myself on Facebook and asked if I'd do similar ones for everyone else for those badges and other odds and ends. I figured it'd be a good way to do studies so I've been working these up in a similar style. I think I have six or seven left to do. They're fun but I'm ready to start drawing something else for a while. lol

Another day, another portrait. I actually like this one better then the last one. the thing about these images is I could literally keep pushing them further and further. There are always little things I find I can change or improve. It's crazy. But I need to learn to leave them be and move to the next one. I feel like I might be improving. It's hard for me to tell right now. Thanks for looking. - Z

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeaah! Really nice values in the portraits, zebz! Dunno what they look like in RL, but I'm sure you captured the likeness.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks for droppin by my sb and giving me some good advice appreciate it i deffinitely agree with you im always rushing my work then half way through i see all the mistakes i should of taken care of but cant cause a have gone to far anyway i really like your portrait sketches looks good and thanks for sharing your insight into the industry on your thread here hope i have a job like you some day

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eddieeeeeeeeeeeee: Glad you like them! I'm trying to get their personalities in there. I think I'm getting it at least. I'll try to post some of the photo ref along with my new ones. Thanks for stopping by!

prsnsweeney: Thanks for checking out my book. The only reason I mentioned those things is because I need to be more disciplined myself as you'll see from my sketchy works. And you're welcome on the industry comment. I love doing this stuff and hope everyone has the opportunity to do it. It's a dream come true and I feel ridiculously blessed. Appreciate the comments and kind words, man!

Here's another one. I'm including the photo ref that I used and a look at the horrid process it took to get it from one place to the other. This one was one of my most successful ones, I think. I really tried to not overwork it and keep my brush strokes pretty bold. I could have pushed it further but I think it's good where I left it. Hope you guys like it. Crits and comments welcome as always! - Z

PS: Sketches to come soon, I promise! lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work on your portraits man! Why not try doing some in color? Or even going for some even tighter detail around the eyes, nose, and mouth. Try to get some variation going it will probably make these even more fun to do, keep iit up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WHOA! Your character concepts are sick! Really interesting stuff you have going around in your sketchbook, I like Lots of depth in your figures and creature designs, they really pop out of the page. As for critiques, I think you should study this tutorial, really gives good shading tips for digital painting: http://itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

Thanks for sharing your work, and keep on practicing!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,033 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff man, thanks for stopping by the SB. These portraits are looking good I'd agree with what was said above about adding a little more detail, would help give a little more to look at on each one. Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, this stuff is f'ing awesome dude

"The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

Dont trust anything i say! I'm a noob.
    My Noob Sketch Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful studies, man. Surprised you haven't posted any of those alien sketches you've shown me...They kick ass.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jasper: Thanks for the comments, man. Yea, I'd add color but these are sort of a series that I'm doing of my colleagues for work. I'm trying to keep them semi consistent (that hasn't completely been the case, sadly). But I'd gladly do some more color ones in the future. I'll see I can't tighten up a few areas as well. I'm usually a render nazi so I'm trying to stay loose.

CGAddict: Well, thank you very much! It means a lot to hear you say that. I'm glad you like them. I'm always trying to find some sort of painting helps so that tutorial is also appreciated!

Metal Fingers: Thanks! I'll try to do better!

element1988: Thank you!

Nukem: Thanks, man. I'm going to get the other stuff togeether as I wrap it up. I'll post it in the coming weeks.

Not a lot of time to sketch or post stuff outside of these portraits I've been doing. My Mom is in town so my office is now a guest bedroom. lol I'll have some stuff for you all later in the week. For now all you get is more crappy portraits. This one is more pushed the the last ones, I think. Has a more toony feel to it, I think. Heh. At any rate, here it is. See ya next update. Thanks again for the feedback. - Z

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello mate.Great portraits again(and actually you add some more personality in the persons that you draw).Now i see you have stabilized the workflow and the skills on doing these, so maybe try to search some more the way to depict forms etc.Maybe start seeing edges some more and maybe in the final stages you can smooth(with some low opacity smooth big size brush) some parts that seem to be less clear in the photos.For example post 103 if i semi close my eyes, in his neck(in the photo) the value is close to become one, maybe i would make a quick smooth brushtroke(with opacity and size pressure)

keep up the good work!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. Looked through your concept stuff for the game. Some of the ideas are really cool. Love the more rendered dwarves. And the portraits are wonderful. Especially helpful seeing the portrait progression. One critique on that, looking at the photo ref, I think you should tighten up and round off his right cheek. Generally though, your stuff is cool. Thanks for helping me in my SB. I've been thinking a lot about light now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello agian love the expressions on your portraits and how you ever so slightly exagurate the face and thanks for posting the proggresion shots on the portrait i always enjoy seeing the process and how people get to the finished peice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, you've been diligent! I'm here to pay my dues. You make me want to post more. The Most successful of the portraits I think are the ones that you really push the modeling around the eyes. Keep working on that because I think some are definitely more successful there than others. Really nice work though, dude. Really nice. I miss ya, man. It's been too long.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kingkostas: Thanks for the feedback. Yea, I have a lot of harsh transitions going on in these. I could smooth these things out forever. lol That's usually the biggest crit that I get when I finish these up. I'll try to consider that as I work through the last few. And thanks for the compliment. I love to try and push the expressions a bit more. It almost cartoonifies them.

Captain Maelstrom: Thanks! I'll have to stop back by your book again to see how things are rocking! Thanks for the crits. Maybe I'll go back and tighten that stuff up. As mentioned before I'm trying to be loose about this and sometimes I end up loosing things in the images by trying not to be so tight. Heh. Rendering has held me back for a while. I'm just trying to be more fluid and quick now.

prsnsweeney: Thanks! Glad you like it.

urbm: Thanks!

Eric: Thanks for the comments, man. The crits really help. Yea, I can usually tell if I'm failing at these by looking in the eyes. If there's a life there I know I've gotten something. If not then I know I've botched it up. lol I'll try to remember that as I keep going. I appreciate the post and I can't wait to see more from you! Hope I get to see you soon, dude.

Here's another portrait. I swear I'll post more stuff at some point. This one was fun to do. Enjoy. - Z

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Think thats one of my favorites so far Zebz. Love the way the beard is rendered. His intense stare is sweet, too.

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i also think this one is great!!!So i used it to show you an example of "smoothing" working for the lost edge, and letting the object communicate with the space.This is somehow extreme(like coming from the shadows or something) but maybe can give you some ideas. Sorry for using it without asking
    keep up the good work!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nick: Thanks, man. Yours are much looser and you obviously did them much faster. I like them much more. lol I do like that last one though. He does have some intensity to him. I tried to make him look a bit more evil. Heh. Appreciate you stopping by.

KingKostas: Appreciate the paint over, dude. I see what you're saying. People are wanting me to loose a lot of the edges and smooth these things out. I'll try to play around with it and think about it more. I tend to think that seeing the brush strokes and the additional texture created is interesting. Maybe I'm not correct in my thinking. I'm going to try and think about the things you've said a bit more. I appreciate the crit for sure.

Here's another one. I only have one more to do. Then I can move on to more interesting things. lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woah nice, you got a much nicer handle of edges on that one for sure. The hairline and highlights look great especially. His mouth is a tad skewed though, liquify that shit into place!

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update, really dig the lighting on the second to last piece, very dynamic!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1