Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 8.24.12 - Zebz Sketchbook

Thanks

8.24.12 - Zebz Sketchbook

Hey everyone,

Some of you might know me and some of you might not. I've been around CA for a while but haven't been very active in recent years due to most of my artistic mind being poured into NDA projects for work. As time went on I sort of lost a lot of momentum and started doing less and less personal work and art slowly got less fun. But something happened late last year that sort of started a spark (not sure what exactly lol) and I've been slowly building up speed again. And since I've found that joy for creating images renewed I've made a resolution that this year I'd finally start posting again on a sketchbook thread in hopes of getting more feedback and crits that would help drive me to evolve my skills further. So I guess I'm just crawling back to the learnin' tree. Heh. So I really appreciate anyone who gives my doodles and pencil hacks a look. And appreciate even more anyone who offers some sound advice and criticism. And I'd just like to say thanks in advance for that.

I started a new sketchbook thread (old one) because most of the links seem to not be working on most of the pages to the old images. And I'd just like to sort of let all that stuff go and give myself a clean slate to move forward. As you can see from the post below I'm sort of all over the place. Heh. I'm not sure how to comment on each individual image so I'll try and give an overview of what's below here. Most of it is just random, unfinished doodles from my sketchbooks. I pulled a few of the more interesting ones from the recent months. The toony stuff towards the bottom are some sketch ideas for a project that several of the artists I'm working with came up with. I'm just helping concept some characters. I'll explain more about that in later posts as I'm sure to have more concrete concepts.

My experience with color has been all about saturation since I started working and I've never really focused and just spent more time studying it for myself. So you'll see a few digital random things in here and that's me just trying to learn how to paint better and find new ways of working. I'm trying to be more concerned with limiting a palette and not letting my color work overtake the value and lighting. The last image you'll see on here (the girl with the red scarf) is still in progress. You can probably tell what I'm trying to learn from how I'm approaching that image.

So yea, there's a lot of ballpoint, mechanical pencil, brush pen and digital in this update. Sorry it's just sort of scatter brained and all over the place. I'll try to update more regularly so that it isn't such a mess. And man, I forgot how long it takes to scan and get all this crap in here! lol So thanks for looking and I promise to keep my mouth shut better next time.

- Zebz (Ryan Bowlin)
    Last edited by Zebz; August 24th, 2012 at 09:25 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Great new start dude, really diggin' the moleskine pages and the studies, keep it up the good work.

Cheers

Thanks
    Hi there looking forward to your new book, oh and I love this page
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1234936814

Thanks
    Truly great drawings! The boobs in the last painting are looking very weird.
    : ) Look that you are drawing with lines as simple as possible. (sorry for my english) - Like her right arm...

keep it up
    Cheers

Thanks
    Crazy stuff man, good pencil pushing though! Totally awesome. I freaking love that sound guy with the microphone boom, haha
    "Even a stopped clock, gets the right time twice a day."
    >>My Sketchbook<<
    >>My Homepage<<

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu!
    Thanks
    Aha
    Portman, well well well, so we meet again.
    Natalie Portman is awsome but in your study (which is great valuewise) her eyes are to close together.
    Your sketches are very nice, too.

Thanks
    Wow, that is truly awesome. I don't think there is much more I can add to that! Please update soon

Thanks

I've had better days...

azekariel - Thanks, man. Keep pushing your stuff too. You'll get there in time.

Jano - Thanks! Yea, she's a saucy little thing isn't she? lol I don't think eyes are too far apart. I actually think I just made her face bit too wide. At least that's what it seemed like after looking at the photo later. Thanks for the crits tho.

Hyptosis - Thanks! Glad you like 'em. Yea, he's apart of the news crew for this monster movie type animated thing some buddies of mine are working on. I'm just trying to scribble some characters out for 'em. More on those soon, I think.

Schmitz - Yea, it's still not finished. I'm still trying to sort out the values and really some parts are still just blocked out a bit and need to be refined. I really need to sit down and hammer the rest of it out. I should have plenty of free time soon tho... sadly. Thanks for stopping in! Let me know what you think of it when I finish. Your ladies look very nice in your thread, btw! Great work.

Max - Good to be back, mate. Yea, I love sitting and just rendering. It doesn't really help much with job type stuff tho. i need to continually find ways to cut corners and get faster. Heh. I'm sure you know how that is. I always love fully rendered pencils tho. Maybe it's the strange inks that you like in there and not the pencils... in that case disregard my comments. lol

Diego - Thanks! I'll do my best!

Thanks again for all of the comments! It's nice to be back and having people look at my scribbles. I do have some sad news tho as I update today. Today the developer I work for laid off a good portion of our work force and almost all of the art stuff felt the blade. This is my first time going through this sort of thing and it's been hard to swallow. The studio is being very cool tho about letting us show everything we've created for the game. I was told I could post all of the work I've done for it which is pretty gracious on their part and unheard of from any other dev I've seen. So I'll be adding more stuff from there soon as I start gathering all of my art that I've created over the last 2.5 years. Not sure if I should start a thread in the finally finished section or what but regardless I'll let you guys know in here what's going on. So it sucks but hopefully I'll find something else and it'll be even better. If anyone is hiring and reading this be sure to message me! lol Anyhow...

I went to the many random images I worked on and just grabbed a few within context for me to toss in here tonight to celebrate the occasion. lol These concepts are for Lightless Cultists. They basically worship a sort of undead group in the game. Kind of wannabes, y'kno? The first couple images are me sort of feeling out some ideas. The last three characters are what we ended up going with. I've been all over the place in terms of my process and it's continually changing and evolving. These were done last year sometime. I'll have to get the more recent ones in here so I can show what I've been doing lately. Also, Street Fighter 4 is pretty awesome. I need to finish a Ryu sketch I started the other day and I'll post that soon too. Anyhow.... thanks for looking and I'll catch you guys next update. Take care.

-Zebz/Ryan

Thanks
    ah sucks to hear man, but on the bright side you can smash out heaps of nice personal works while you're on hiatus.

Thanks
    CamSkyo: Thanks, man. I'm going to do my best to keep cracking on my stuff but the next week or so is going to be me getting my portfolio together. Thanks for the encouragement, man.

Here's another few concepts for a human style guide I was working on a couple months ago. Basically just for the wardrobe and hairstyles. These were loose ends that I was supposed to tie up once we got all of the race style guides finished. I'll probably refine these and paint them up for my portfolio tho.

Thanks
    Hey man, diggin' your latest stuff, i like the latest characters, they look more solid and more functional than the previous designs in terms of balance of the gesture and design, i think the non-armor gear are your weakest points in those chars http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1235113490

Keep on going dude, i'd love to see a color version of the human chars.

Cheers

Thanks
    Hey man, Great stuffs as always. You know I heart the work you do, dude! I'm really looking forward to seeing how the portfolio comes together. This is a hard thing, but like I said last night, I know it'll all work out in the end, and maybe this is a good opportunity for you.

Also, it's important to remember that there is a big difference between getting laid off, and getting fired. This wasn't because they didn't want you, and chances are good that somebody else is going to want you too. I'll miss you when you move though... lol.

I'll talk to you later, dude

Your friend
    kc
    You can choose to use your powers for good... or you can use them for AWESOME!

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    yayyyyyy!
    off to a brand new frsh start!

loving the characters and the sketches, col designs, and cool lines too

looks like you don't enjoy drawing feet a lot don't you hehe

don't go dissappearing again somewhere, keep this up

ciao!