Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #93: Crockery Set

IDW #93: Crockery Set

Topic: Crockery Set

Background: This round is a sort of follow-up of the Cutlery round a from a while ago: IDW #55: Cutlery. Since that topic was rather succesful in its outcome, and since we haven't had a more down-to-earth topic in IDW for a while now I thought it might be a good idea.

There are a few things to consider here. First of all, with crockery I mean stuff like plates, bowl and the like. You are allowed to include more than just that, like cutlery or other items you would like to add, but this is not necessary. Also, you can make them out of any material you like. I know most are made out of ceramics, but plastics, metals or woods are allowed too.

Secondly, the brief is rather open, but the request for you is to tighten it down for yourself before going into rendering too soon. Define a culture or time period or style that your crockery has to convey, and design and draw to make if fit with that choice. In fact, it might be good to mention it in a post in here to see if others are doing the same.

Also, again, we're talking about a set of items. Giving each piece an individual character is allowed, but I'd advice to try and bind the items together with a style or design language. Defining the previous point might be a great help for that.

Lastely, you'll need to include more than one item in your final image. Three would usually do, doing more is encouraged of course. Doing them in ortho's rather than in a single rendering is allowed, that's up to you.

Brief:
    1. Design and draw a crockery set, meaning more than one piece of the same set.
    2. Chose a specific time period, style and/or culture for which you're going to design it for before you start rendering them!
    3. That's it... now draw!

Deadline: Wednesday, February 25

Post your final entries here: Finals Thread

Name:  IDW logo3 smallest.JPG
Views: 904
Size:  7.9 KB

Last edited by yoitisi; February 17th, 2009 at 03:47 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooooo. Looks like fun. I don't want to get into copyright trouble for posting a photo out of a book, but at this very moment I'm looking at "Study for Plate 59" from Documents Decoratifs by Alphonse Mucha, in Sketchbook for the Artist by Sarah Simblet, and drooling. (Did that sentence make sense?) Art nouveau silver plate and serving set. And wasn't there a cutlery round some time back (from my lurking days)? That would be neat to see for some inspiration/ideas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pixie Trick: The link to that cutlery thread is up there in the brief Serves me right for writing novels for briefs I guess....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bone china definetly comes to mind, though that maybe a little straight forward, im also thinking the surrealists set, but then again could be whole different set of complications

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This seems to be a relly usefull and fun round, tons of elipses ahead, count me in >

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh dear...

I feel stupid. I think I just got a little excited. Sorry.

So, some sketches, mainly just some ideas. I know it's not just plates. I'm liking the one with all the wires off of it, but eating off of that would be a health hazard. I could just take the wire off though. I like the one underneath it too, and it's a lot more usable. Then again, does everything have to be completely usable? In general fine china is pulled out, like what, three times a year. The ruffly one in the top right corner is the third choice.

In terms of a style or culture etc. I'm not sure what either would be. Mad scientist who runs electricity through the wires to keep the rats out of his food when he/she forgets to eat is while in the middle of long experiments? But that's not culture.

Name:  IDW crockery set sketches.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  141.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think by style and culture, Yoitisi is asking you to define the common motif and time/place of your set, as in:
    "This is the steampunk "mobilis in mobili" crockery they used on the Nautilus."
    or
    "This is a futuristic biodegradable crockery set."
    or
    "This is my concept for the crockery at the Mad Hatter's tea party."

It looks like you are already thinking of those things, e.g. "eating in space"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah! squid worshipping community/civilization!

Last edited by riotorange; February 19th, 2009 at 09:11 AM. Reason: forgetting to add the key word *worshipping*
    "Steering perception? i am.
    Inviting contradiction? i am."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pixie Trick: Yep arttorney is right there, 'culture' here means that you chose a background setting in which your crockery has to fit. This could be the example he mentioned, but there's basically tons of options. If you want to design something contemporary that people can buy in the shops right now I'm fine with it as well. The whole idea of chosing a background is that you design your crockery for a specific target group, and not just randomly because you think your sketch was kind of okay

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    erm and by squid i meant all the tentacled beings of the oceans... it's hard for me to type sometimes. heh.
    so..first quick sketch--- a soup bowl!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WIPs. A gravitational set. This allows the food to stay on you plate, in your bowl, and on your fork in space and on low gravity planets. The set can turn on and off to conserve power and is made of high quality steel which is easily disinfected. The cutlery can be locked in, and the cup is attachable by clip.

Inspired by Rick Mercer trying to eat food in the Vomit Comet. I think I need to add a cover for the cup, because if the cup turns over, the liquid will still float away, and since it's only the food that the gravity is affecting, the cup still floats around.

Name:  grav plate.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  72.8 KB

And I did this one 'cause I liked it.

Name:  mad sci plate.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  132.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol riotorange, im working on an atlantis dinnerware kind of thing, and refers to sea life aswell, hadent read your reply though.
    happy designing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    small update-- added some color.
    Hey yoitisi, Is ir required that we do plates,cups & bowls? i want to make a fondue pot that matches the soup bowl im working on... and like maybe somekinda matching casserole dish.Those things are generally considered crockery...but i'll do plates and such if its a must. Also--- Do salt shakers count? heh

noche mine's just tentacle love, really. LOL
    Atlantis is a great idea. Looking forward to seeing yours!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Riotorange: Yah that's actually what I meant with 'crockery', the whole set of stuff you can eat from/with. I re-read my own topic and realise it might not have been stated clear enough in there, but go ahead if you want to

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm off on a trip to France tomorrow, so this is the most I'll be able to get done. Internet, but no PS. B&W is ok, right?

roitorage: looking good. What material is it made of? The slice after the tentacle on the bottom left corner of the bowl, but that may be because it's not done yet. Kudos on beng adventurous on the idea of what crockery actually is. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the set.

noche: Looking forward to yours too.

Name:  crockery final.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  63.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    second thingamajiggy sketch

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so my set has it's origins at this pitcher. the whole thing will make more sense as i render and design the rest..

Name:  crockery set copy2.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  36.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my start... Hope I'll manage to finish. The deadline is what time in what time zone on the 25th?

Don't know if I'll manage to flesh out my whole idea either, so I'll just put this in for now, heh.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure i'll be able to get the casserole dish done,school once again gets in my way! lol i do have a third piece,which is the skewers for the fondue pot, but not sure if that truly counts as a third item.
    Anyway--fondue pot with some color and really scary lookin cheese stuff inside.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sork: This round will be open for another 24 hrs at least, so plenty of time left

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i posted mine. can't keep going gotta lot of things to do. i wish i could have finished the other pieces as much as the pitcher.

cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can't believe I managed that before the deadline, ha....

I did end up doing a few (read: many) shortcuts - totally running out of time, wish I had time to render it more - and I'm kinda afraid I didn't get the idea through about the changeable pieces. I was originally planning to do it in colour and show at least three different sets with different adornments... but I guess I'll do that for myself later. It's an idea I've had in my mind for a while, fun to have an occasion to use it.

"The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    noche: That's very nice. I like it as a whole, the only thing that bugs my eye is the handle of the pitcher. It seems a little uncomfortable to lift it up. But it's really good looking and believable.

Pixie Trick: it's very interresting how it looks medieval from outside and hides hi-tec inside > Good work

Sorknes: My obeisance to how you deal with tight deadline, those shortcuts are very wisely used. And above all, I didn't find the time for this round so it's even more valuable that you fought so hard to catch it - all of you - good job >

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    High time I closed this round eh Poll will be up in a bit.

Edit: Poll is up, click this: IDW #93: Crockery Set - Voting

Last edited by yoitisi; February 26th, 2009 at 05:19 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.