Slightly frustrated with the mandatory options in attachment manager.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Slightly frustrated with the mandatory options in attachment manager.

I've been searching for a while but couldn't find a thread specifically for this problem, so here goes:

I was planning to make a big sketchbook dump today (over 50 images) after a few months of inactivity, and usually that takes about 1 hour. But now I found out that I have to fill in the copyright info Šnd select a 'Category', 'SubCategory', 'Genre', and 'Media' before I'm allowed to upload one image. With over 50 images to upload this gets really annoying. I've been searching for some comments about this, and people seem to be frustrated with the mandatoryness of this all as well (link, link)
    Also a problem is that my sketchbook pages often don't fit into one subcategory or media (for example I have both drawings from imagination and from observation on one page), but that is of minor importance to me than the first issue.

A couple of suggestions that have been made:
    - the possibility to create a (few) preset(s), so you don't need to fill out everything again for the same type of image
    - just not have putting in the copyright and category info mandatory
    - save your last choices in a cookie, so that for the next uploadable image it already fills in the last used settings

I do not intend to be disrespectful to the community and all the people putting in the hard work to make the art world a bit safer and better, I really think this new way of attaching (with information included) is a wonderful solution to all the problems the new orphan works bill would create, but I'd just like to give my input on how this mandatoryness is in my opinion not an improvement.

For now I'll just paste as many images as possible together in photoshop, so I won't have to upload them all separately, but this ofcourse takes more time as well, and is not what I would prefer.

Love
    Marleen.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That's a really good suggestion. If a cookie could remember my name and the last things I chose from the drop-downs, that would be brilliant.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    /agree
    Cookies are a great, we all love them. :3

a short term solution to not spending fifteen hours posting fiftee images, could be to not post everything, but rather your best/most recent stuff. I often discard bad/old drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so I found out something that makes it a bit easier to upload more quicky:
    when you hit the backspace (or right click -> back) when you uploaded an image, you go back to the previous screen with all the filled in drop down menus. Then you can select a new image, and it will upload with the previously filled in information..

Love
    Marleen.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to NoŽ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, that's great! Thanks for posting that, I'm sure that will help a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also find the mandatory options really annoying, and I rarely have to upload much more than 5 images. Will certainly try that technique though, thanks NoŽ!

Oh yeah, what do they affect, just out of curiosity?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd like to see a few more image options included too. One for instructional images such as paint overs would be good, especially if you can assign the copyright to the original artist, but with a notation that it has been modified. There are a lot of instructional type images posted on CA.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like Marleen's suggestion about the cookies, and the backspace technique.

I still think that each field should have a 'Misc' or 'Other' option as well. The ability to select 'Unkown' would also be helpful, not only for attaching images, but also so that later on people could browse the Unknown section to see if they might have more information to add. Without the Misc/Unknown options, its likely that people will just start entering inaccurate or less accurate information, which will eventually disrupt the quality of the archive. This might not effect the attachment process itself, but it could make future browsing/researching more difficult. For example, lately I've been using Photography, Color/BW, Other, Other, as my default specs for images which don't fall comfortably into any of the other categories. This might include things like maps, or charts, or throw away lounge style images, things of that sort. I'm pretty sure that the Photography category was intended more for gallery style photos, or ref images, but under the current system it seemed like the most flexible place to put the Misc stuff.

One other reason why it would be helpful to have 'Other' as a main category, is so that we could get a sense for what kind of additional categories might be good to have, which we haven 't quite thought of yet, since it would be pretty easy to just browse that section and see what kind of pics are getting dumped there.

Last edited by Jasonwclark; February 26th, 2009 at 12:17 AM. Reason: grammar

Thanks
    Thanked 11,090 Times in 2,642 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ive got a bunch of stuff to do to streamline that...including it keeping favorites selected and a batch uploader by category etc... I appreciate the patience. We are always short programmers to complete these things...but it is on the list and we will get it solved as soon as we can.

j

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, I was just about to come here and complain about this. I have a bunch of sketches i want to post, but it would take an entire day without batch uploading. I'll just wait. Thanks for working so hard, Jason.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,296 Times in 556 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    here's my 2 pennies worth:

1-Batch uploading would be totally awesome - yeh!
    2-Possibly an option to bypass the category info - the backspace option sounds interesting
    3-Which ties into my 3rd comment here - the copyright entry could be really frustrating but as I view it as the most important bit of info to protect the pics, that's cool - one thing I have noticed is that each different version of copyright info I type is remembered for me and available from just typing the 1st letter. Sorry to appear slow but does that mean we already have cookies for the copyright info or is my browser just remembering my last text entry?
    4-Cookies! mmmmm yum! - goes to cupboard 9_9 ... @_@ ... nOOOoooooo I have no coooookies! X_x

Also is it possible for me to view the copyright etc info for an image at a later date? I kinda assumed the info would be in the little info box that pops up when I roll-over an image.

Last edited by The7Artist7; April 30th, 2009 at 07:13 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the idea about presets. Say an artist is always uploading anatomy studies to his sketchbook. Allow him to define an "anatomy study" in his attachment dialog. The user selects his file, clicks this preset and all the fields, keywords, etc. are automatically filled with the appropriate information.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.