Sketchbook: Golden Serpent's Sketchbook - Page 5

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its really gorgeous, and cool creature designs!
    altho i dont really feel the movement, maybe some blur or something to indicate the movement would help it look a bit more alive...
    anywho, rreally cool tho!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to rumpenstiltzkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys sorry I haven't posted for a little bit I've been caught up with some family stuff. I don't have much to show off at the moment but I was asked about how I rendered fur like on my last COW and I thought I'd whip up a mini-tutorial. I hope this is helpful!

Name:  fur-tutorial.jpg
Views: 1894
Size:  535.8 KB

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GoldenSerpent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some of your stuff reminds me of the creatures from Dougal Dixon's book After Man: A Zoology of the Future and some reminds me of Wayne Barlowe's various alien creatures. Also, some is reminiscent of Terryl Whitlatch's various creatures. The fur ball reminds me a little of the Crites from that old sci-fi horror film Critters, but also various other furry aliens and creatures I've seen depicted in films and such, though nothing specific comes to mind. Your stuff is also of comparable quality to the works of Dixon, Barlowe and Whitlatch.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dahami For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i liked this studies because they can be useful .

On And On , I Am Cursed To Live Cursed With Life Until I Have Done What Done What Must Be Done . . . I Am The Man Who Would Not Die .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to raminafshari For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn i love your creatures keep it up!!where do you find inspiration to draw monsters?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to paranoiak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your creature designs are so cool, all have their own uniquie features and their own personality, and you have such varaition in colour
    pleasure looking thro your pages, will be scout for more in the future

13. The Following User Says Thank You to snatti For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome, +subscription. your bedside table doodles are so much more coherent than mine

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bourin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

BIG UPDATE!

Hey guys, it's been a while, well now it's update time!!!

Rough Sketch
    Name:  Alice.jpg
Views: 1711
Size:  84.9 KB
    Cleaned up Turnaround
    Name:  Alice-Turn-Line.jpg
Views: 1742
Size:  244.5 KB
    Name:  Alice-Turn-copy.jpg
Views: 1748
Size:  210.7 KB

Rough Sketch
    Name:  White-Rabbit-color-test.jpg
Views: 1708
Size:  164.8 KB
    Name:  Alien-Rabbits.jpg
Views: 2425
Size:  192.4 KB
    Turnaround
    Name:  Rabbit-Turnaround.jpg
Views: 1749
Size:  323.4 KB

Name:  Alien-Cat.jpg
Views: 1774
Size:  165.4 KB
    Name:  cat-sketches.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  256.2 KB
    Name:  Engineer-Sketch.jpg
Views: 1672
Size:  266.1 KB
    Name:  Mad-Man.jpg
Views: 1694
Size:  247.1 KB

Pathetic Drunken Pirate Sketches
    Name:  Pirate-sketches.jpg
Views: 1669
Size:  156.0 KB
    Name:  Pirate-sketches-2.jpg
Views: 1622
Size:  231.3 KB
    Name:  Sad-old-Pirate-man.jpg
Views: 2285
Size:  158.2 KB
    Name:  Pirate.jpg
Views: 1611
Size:  236.4 KB

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoldenSerpent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    gahh!! your creatures are so crazy man! love em! great updates since i was last in here!

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

19. The Following User Says Thank You to NickyBeats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really love the creature stuff. The characters look nice too. But I think you make the eyes a whole lot better on the characters that's sketched than the ones that are for conceptual stuff. The eyes on the conceptual stuff looks pretty drugged and spaced out. This is apparent on the first drawing of that space girl, she has this odd face. And on the mechanic guy. Having his face completely in profile makes him look stiff and a bit awkward.

Try to make the poses a bit more relaxed. Just like in your sketches. It makes the character look better too and it sells the concepts a lot better.

Hope that wasn't too blunt. You do make awesome stuff so keep it up!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Loathsome For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tons of cool creative stuff abound in here, i really dig all of your creature concepts, and i especially like it when you work on the decayed critters, it shows you really know what your doing when you show all of their connective bits and bone structures. Really neat stuff. Though i must say your humanoids on this last post are a bit lacking compared to others throughout this book. Though it's just minor, heads sometimes too big, limbs sometimes dont make sense in perspective. Then again i only see these issues on the scribbles so they're probably already fixed.

Cool work again, i'm off to go draw some monsters now! Keep up the good work!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to AustenFM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NickyBeats: Thanks man!

Loathsome: Thanks for the crit! Do you know what it is that makes the eyes on the turnaround look drugged? I wasn't terribly happy with them either but couldn't figure it out at the time.

AustenFM
    : Thanks Austen, yeah I'm not exactly happy with most of the human characters on this last page either, I didn't have a lot of time to work on most of them. I appreciate you pointing these things out though. It's good to be reminded that I gotta focus on refining my human characters so I can get them up to the same standard as my critters.

Here some more sketches from my real life sketchbook, most of these were done pretty quickly:

Name:  squishy-thing.jpg
Views: 1545
Size:  160.3 KB
    Name:  werewolf.jpg
Views: 1766
Size:  209.2 KB
    Name:  Caterpillar.jpg
Views: 1524
Size:  164.5 KB
    Name:  Monster1.jpg
Views: 1510
Size:  207.3 KB

And here's another little scribble from my small night time sketchbook from something that popped into my head in those minutes as you're close to drifting off to sleep.

Name:  monster-dad.jpg
Views: 1505
Size:  125.8 KB

Last edited by GoldenSerpent; October 21st, 2011 at 05:26 AM.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GoldenSerpent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey GS, hope you don't mind if I shorten it... Thanks for that tutorial over in the COW section, that's really good stuff.

Sketchbook is pretty awesome as well, will subscribe to this one. I'm sure there will be more great stuff in here.

Also, a note about the eyes in the turnaround of the girl in the space suit, I think her brows are drooping too much on the outer edge of her face, pretty sure that's why she looks like she's mind-blanked.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Flame_Unquenchable: I don't mind at all, just "G" is actually probably most fitting, anyway I'm very glad to hear the tutorial was helpful for you. Thanks for the tip about the eyes I'll try tweaking the brow and see if that helps at all.

Here's a quick update, did this several months ago and am just now getting around to posting. Here is another picture where I tried to give more attention to the environment. I came up with the creature design first and then decided that it would be interesting and practical for a bright red creature to live on a planet where all the foliage is red. The creature in the image is an eyeless predator that hunts and communicates by body heat. The red flowers were based slightly on deep sea red tube worms.

Name:  Red-PlanetFinal.jpg
Views: 1528
Size:  254.6 KB

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoldenSerpent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely sb!!!
    The last one is really nice!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to theUNKNOWNsketcher For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you're attention to even the slightest of details in the environment within that last piece is impressive! I have to say u are one of my favorite artists on CA. Keep up the amazing work!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to ReaperKing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome! great organics!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Conniekat8 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, great stuff here.
    Getting a bit of a Bioshock "Big Daddy" vibe off the last piece in your second last post, great juxtaposition of the innocent child oblivious to her monsterous guardian!

As said before, there's some excellent creature work here (reall like that deep sea fish-jawed cat creature!).

Keep up the great work!!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to MacTire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The new sketches are fucking crazy man!
    To answer on your reply: The turnaround isn't as drugged as the first drawing of the spacegirl. I guess the turn around isn't so bad, it's the one in profile that I have problems with. The front view looks good but when she's in profile I think it's because her eye is so close to the bridge of the nose.. that's not druggy.. thinking about it. But that's what's throwing it off. The reason the first drawing looks drugged, is because she's making this odd face, like uh.. like she just pooped her pants and really enjoyed it? Something like that. It just looks like an expression you wouldn't expect I guess.

As for the dude, it's because he's completely in profile, it looks like one of those Egyptian things, you know? It just makes it look really stiff.

ANYWAY

Great job on the new stuff!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Loathsome For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 604 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    damn - your creatures are just down right wonderful - love the weird rabit like creature, especially when you put it in with the human and we got a size reference.

& just all the right things you do - or many of us do different colours than what we see here on earth, but few would actually care to explain why - and when I see the latest of yours I just feel kind of retarded for always leaving it out given how grand it became when you gave us an ocean of red.

Or just the shapes of forms you use - as with the flower trait creature or the portal defender - just like how much love you seem to have for all aspects of your creatures and how all the detail just makes some sense, how ever weird you seem to make it.

5/5.

SB. p31 updated 25.04.2012.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to dan liimatta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, very cool updates dude!
    You're getting better and better. Awesome creature designs!
    I like how you combine a scientific mind with an artistic one.
    I think it makes for a formidable combination and you're proving that hypothesis right.

Oh, and could you pass along the awesome sauce please? I could use some. Cheers

"...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Harmageddon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the support everyone!

MacTire:Ah, I see what you mean about being sort of like the a Big Daddy, my idea was something along the lines of some event like alien spores or some such causing all the adults to have these horrible mutated uperbodies but it not effecting the children or simply the generation of children born after the event are still okay since it wasn't passed on genetically.

Quote Originally Posted by Loathsome View Post
    The new sketches are fucking crazy man!
    To answer on your reply: The turnaround isn't as drugged as the first drawing of the spacegirl. I guess the turn around isn't so bad, it's the one in profile that I have problems with. The front view looks good but when she's in profile I think it's because her eye is so close to the bridge of the nose.. that's not druggy.. thinking about it. But that's what's throwing it off. The reason the first drawing looks drugged, is because she's making this odd face, like uh.. like she just pooped her pants and really enjoyed it? Something like that. It just looks like an expression you wouldn't expect I guess.

As for the dude, it's because he's completely in profile, it looks like one of those Egyptian things, you know? It just makes it look really stiff.

ANYWAY

Great job on the new stuff!
    The sentence in bold gave me a good laugh, and now I'll never be able to look at that sketch the same way again. Thanks for the tip about her lineup profile I'll push her eye back a bit and I'll make sure to pick a more natural pose for the space guy next time I draw him.

dan liimatta & Harmageddon
    :Thank you very much for the kind words guys! I've always loved science and really like to incorporate at least some sort of science or logic into my creatures, so I'm always happy to hear that this thought process shows through in my creatures.
    ---

More updates for today, continuing my work on space girl Alice and the alien white rabbit. The rabbit is pretty much done, but Alice is still a WIP obviously let me know if you spot anything odd about either of them.
    Name:  White-Rabbit-Full-Render.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  128.7 KB
    For anyone wondering the "helmet" is just an energy force field kept at the proper size by her large collar.
    Name:  Alice-Render.jpg
Views: 1354
Size:  287.1 KB

A few little pencil sketches of the rabbit as well, although I managed to forget the leg spikes on several of them :/

Name:  Rabbit-action-sketches.jpg
Views: 1489
Size:  249.3 KB

And finally, forgot to upload these and thought they might be informative of how I started the brainstorming process for the Red Planet picture. I still like the sketch of the creature at a lake drinking, who knows, I might come back to that one sometime in the future.

Name:  Environment-comps.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  129.8 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 917 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice sketchbook really enjoy seeing your creature designs.
    keep it up
    -Jamie

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamie Romoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Theres not a creature here I don't like! I've been wanting to get better (and back to for that matter) drawing creature concepts and this is a great inspiration for me keep doing what you do

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

It's progress, NOT perfection.

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Ghast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rawr your concepts are badass! Really diggin the bunny like one! I would so have him as a pet!

Talent and Creativity are yours to use and keep

[S K E T C H B O O K]

50. The Following User Says Thank You to Odayga For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm loving your creatures
    Such a great details in them and they look so lively. You also use colors very beautifully, and pencils. Good job!

52. The Following User Says Thank You to Satu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Incredible sb, I truly love the creatures you design they are fantastic, you could submit your work for big Hollywood studios and maybe you'll get to work on avatar 3
    Great work, I love the red creature on the red planet piece, fantastic rendering and colors

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

"There are no miracles, no tricks or secrets, only hard work. "

54. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny_K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that rabbit is frickin cool

56. The Following User Says Thank You to rumpenstiltzkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow! awesome creatures there. looking so good! keep it up.

58. The Following User Says Thank You to jbrown67 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love seeing your thumbnails and processes.

That rabbit is adorable and I find you red planet breathtaking
    Keep it up pleassse and thank you~

60. The Following User Says Thank You to Vella C Raptor For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 9