Sketchbook: Golden Serpent's Sketchbook - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Golden Serpent's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dragon Doodle

Thank you so much for the support guys and gals! I couldn't resist doing at least some doodling today so here's just a quick dragon drawing.

Name:  Dragon-doodle.jpg
Views: 2800
Size:  59.4 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more pencil sketches

More pics for the sketchbook, I really should try to do some more polished photoshop stuff but right now good old paper and pencil is calling me.

This first one is just a bug doodle I did after watching District 9 and having the urge to draw some insects. There's also a couple doodles of random doodles at the bottom.

Name:  Bug-and-thumbnails.jpg
Views: 3145
Size:  49.9 KB

Concept for some sort of spirit creature.

Name:  Spirit.jpg
Views: 2690
Size:  47.0 KB

And here's a character who was inspired by a dream I had once quite some time ago but I still find the character intriguing. I also included the thumbnail I did before the final picture.

Name:  Ash.jpg
Views: 2676
Size:  45.8 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 925 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great improvements! Keep doing lots of thumbnails...they are probably the biggest thing to help you grow and expand your ideas.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JakehC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 531 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Spirit creature really reminds me of Okami-style spirits. Love the sketchbook. Love the dragons.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    Art Blog:May Contain Dragons; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lolbbq: Thank you, yes I'm very happy that one of my art teachers made me start doing more thumbnails I'm definitely going to keep making more.

Si_Swe: gah, you're right, I didn't have Okami in mind when creating this guy but I have played that game recently so I can see how it effected my art, I'll mess around with the design some more till it doesn't look as much like the Okami spirits.

Okay here's another update, this is a relatively recent pencil sketch and a color composition for what I'm aiming for for the final picture. I recently realized that the foreshortened arm and severed head are both too big so I plan to scale them down before starting the colors.

Name:  Victorious-+-Color-Comp.jpg
Views: 2929
Size:  133.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow I looove the creature concepts you come up with. Really amazing and so full of detail! That spirit creature I'm finding especially interesting

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DenaeW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love your style man, all those creatures are really cool! Keep it up!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Inkomi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

COW 153

Nothing new, just trying to get the rest of my old COW entries up here. I probably won't post any more of them tonight.

These are my brainstorming sketches prior to starting the final picture:

Name:  green-mean-sketches.jpg
Views: 2677
Size:  210.1 KB

When nothing was how I working how I wanted it to I went back to the safe stand by of pencil and paper to try and whip something up, in the end I came up with the final pencil sketch that then got colored over on photoshop. Here is the process and final pic:

Name:  153-Progress.jpg
Views: 2749
Size:  391.5 KB

Creature info to go along with the picture:

Scientific Name: Druas viridescent
    Common Name: Viridescent Screechers
    Planet of Origin: Glauko
    Environment: Numerous Locations

Viridescent Screechers, Green Howlers, Tree Banshees, all are names for the same creature, Druas viridescent. This species owes its nicknames to the female’s ferocious disposition. During the brood season she will claim a rotting log that is soft enough she can easily insert her long ovipositor. Once her eggs have been lain inside she will defend the rotting stump from all manner of other creatures even those much bigger than herself. Females first let out a horrible screeching yell at whatever is bothering them, then if that doesn’t work they will chase, bit, scratch and harass whomever or whatever they have deemed a threat until it goes away. After mating they will even chase males away form their perches, although some young males naively hope to stay around and help raise their offspring they are inevitably attacked and chased away by the belligerent females.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really enjoy your concepts and your color choices : ] Nice work indeed.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jeremygordon89 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really cool stuff, I like seeing screenshots of the process you go through when finalizing your designs. Really interesting sketchbook! Keep 'em coming!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kasei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the gory stuff you have here!

SketchBook - In my vocabulary, gory is a verb! visit me! Except blood fainters

18. The Following User Says Thank You to spyshagg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent stuff, Stars From me ;-)..

20. The Following User Says Thank You to RandAlThor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa nice creatures!´Very nice imagination and designs!Your sketches are also looking very good!Keep it up!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Cameli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot guys! I guess I should have figured playing around in the Critique center might get this thread bumped too, I edited the first post just to warn everyone that this probably still won't get too many updates as I'm going through some stuff right now, but since this did get bumped I felt obligated to put up something new (well not exactly).

Here is the rich brown coloring Mr. Harpy from page 1 was in desperate need of, I'm very happy with how this turned out as it's just about what I had pictured in my head for all this time:

Name:  Harpy-Guthrie.jpg
Views: 3185
Size:  215.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, lots of strange creatures here! i like this, it's your world man, and it's rocking!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to llex_paul For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome creatures, youve got some good ideas here

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Ostroponis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude I love your creatures!
    More plz

when you get to hell, tell them I sent you - you`ll get a group discount

My Sketchbook

kischisart.com
    available for freelance

29. The Following User Says Thank You to kischi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 672 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, really liking your sketchbook. You have great and interesting creature designs. Your sketches are nice too!
    That harpy up there is sweeet and really liking your sketch in the latest COW
    keep it up! you should update more often, we want more goodness

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

31. The Following User Says Thank You to DefiledVisions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks again guys!
    And DefiledVisions I'll try to update more often, this summer should give me some ample time to give this sketchbook some more attention.

Here are some WIPs of varying degrees of completion:

Tangled Serpent WIP (put on hold because of this weeks COW):

Name:  Tangle-WIP3.jpg
Views: 2523
Size:  185.4 KB

Speaking of here is my progress on this weeks COW the topic is Guardian(s) of the the Portal gate, my creature is the guardian of a portal in the sky which leads to heaven. I like the idea of angelic and demonic entities having a very close lineage and as such both being rather horrific looking so that's why it looks sort of demonish.

Name:  Heaven-Portal-Gaurdian-Colo.jpg
Views: 2473
Size:  176.8 KB

Here is an old WIP, which is almost finished, so I'll probably try to finish it up whenever I don't have something else to do. It's pretty straight forward, in the end I was going to overlay some some yellowish grainy texture so it would look like it was out of an old biology book.

Name:  Red-Bird-White-Bird-edited.jpg
Views: 2327
Size:  208.5 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 531 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It gives me great joy to see you posting again. That tangled serpent is looking fantastic. I'd comment further, but the library is closing and I have no internet at my apartment...

EDIT: Okay, now that it's a new day and the library is open again...
    For the most part I love those birds, they have a great sense of colour and it's really clear that they are either a male and female of the same species or potentially two different breeds of the same species. Their rendering really reminds me of the way bird books often render their birds which helps get that biology book look you were going for. That said there are some flat areas, like the inside of the one bird's mouth, as well as that same one's tail feathers, which lack the texture of the rest of the piece.

I do really love your rendering style, it combines, excellently, a crisp and clear quality of line with an understanding of the creation form through light and dark. I often find artists do line really well or form through light and dark really well, but you've really managed to get both across well.

Last edited by Si_Swe; July 4th, 2010 at 02:07 PM.
    Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    Art Blog:May Contain Dragons; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Lav is offline Student Animationfilm Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the coloured harpie looks so very good, love the colour palette you used

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Lav For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Si_Swe: Thank you, I'll try to keep posting more regularly this time, and thanks for the tips on my bird pic I think those areas where flat because I hadn't gotten around to painting them yet, I'll definitely make sure I fix those areas before I call it done.

Lav: Thanks, glad you like the my color choices I picked, I'm still really happy with how the colors on that guy turned out.

Just finished this weeks C.O.W. Here he/she/it (I don't think it has a specific sex) is in all his heavenly glory, Zephedieu, a species of angelic creatures that guards the portal to heaven. The idea for a creature with six wings came from the six winged Seraphim, and I just sort of fiddled around with pieces of existing angel names till I got something that sounded like a good name for the creature and didn't turn up anything when I googled it.

I also had a fun time looking for songs on youtube I could replay repeatedly as I sat drawing here's some random chanting music compiled together that I listened to while drawing this if anyone else is like me and does this occasionally: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46tS09yBc9I

Description: "When the clouds must be parted and the portal to heaven opened to receive souls into the kingdom of God the Zephedieu are released. These immortal guardians protect the portal to heaven.They will not hesitate to attack any entity that tries to disrupt the portal or the ascending procession of souls."

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm odd, my latest post didn't seem to register and bump this...I'll upload more art and see if it works this time.

A compilation of all my WIPs:

Name:  182-Progress.jpg
Views: 2125
Size:  347.5 KB

C.O.W. 151 (My first win )
    Common Name: Yellow-Ringed Lancehead
    Scientific Name : Lanceacephalous maculates
    Planet of Origin: Zianovis
    Environment: Rocky Deserts

Yellow-Ringed Lanceheads are most easily distinguished from other species of Lanceheads by the yellow spots and rings on their body. However, being close enough to the animal to see these spots may be dangerous.

This species hatches from round, tennis ball sized eggs. The eggs of this species are a mottled grey-brown that blends in with the surrounding rocky environment. Eggs are very tough and rubbery and incredibly impact resistant because they must survive the fall from their mother’s perching place, near the top of a cliff, to the cliff’s base.

Hatchlings instinctively move away from the cliff base that they hatched around. Females will remain roaming predators for a year, after a year their bodies will begin to expand and they will search for a suitable cliff to make their permanent home. Once settled in, their primary means of hunting will be their swollen bioluminescent bodies. Many native creatures are attracted to the beautiful blue light; when a victim gets within the Lancehead’s range she will fire one of the harpoon like structures on her head. These harpoons contain venom that will paralyze impaled victims within seconds. Once paralyzed the Lancehead is free to reel the victim back in and ingest it at her leisure.

Male Lanceheads remain slim, agile, wandering predators for the rest of their lives, when they sense the presence of a female they carefully make their way to the top of her cliff, however they must be especially careful that they are not mistaken for prey.

Name:  COW-151.jpg
Views: 2157
Size:  369.3 KB

C.O.W. 152

Scientific Name: Demipondus pravus
    Common Name: Tongarian Devil
    Planet of Origin: Tongar 10
    Environment: Numerous Locations

These creatures were first discovered when colonists started mining Tongar 10. The Tongarian Devils lived in a series of caves buried deep bellow the surface. When the colonists accidentally unearthed these horrid creatures they swarmed the surface, devastated the ecosystem and killed many innocent lives. Although only half a pound, and small enough to hold in one’s hand the Tongarian Devils are dangerous because they attack in large numbers. A pack of twenty can consume a human in less than ten minutes Their powerful jaws and teeth not only allowed them to easily chew through bone but also to gnaw through walls, doors, and pipes to get to terrified colonists. Only a handful of colonists could be rescued from these pint-sized terrors, and since then Tongar 10 has been designated a restricted planet. Although some may argue that these creatures were merely acting according to instinct and as such are not truly evil the survivors of the horrible incident, and those who lost family members to the Tongarian Devils will tell you differently.
    Name:  COW-152.jpg
Views: 2272
Size:  315.4 KB

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoldenSerpent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I gotta commend your portal guardian - really stunning creature, and the background is fantastic (you clearly put as much effort in to it as the creature, and it really makes the image stand out). Love your harpy fella to, great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fantastic work about the Guardian of the portal gate, a violant picture but also calm because of colors , nice done

Lav is offline Student Animationfilm Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have some really cool concepts for the COW. The colours you used for the guardian really give a very heavenly feel. How do you start when you need to select the colours, do you browse between existing palettes or just kind of "go with the flow"? You really have a very good eye for it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hooo

frickin awesome designs dude, love em

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool creature concepts. I like them alot.

Post summoore :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude your pencil work is great!
    and your are gettin more and more impressive - i love that cow 151 piece!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wilko: Thanks!

picksel: Thanks.

Lav: I'm still experimenting with colors so a lot of it is sort of going with the flow and seeing what works, for that particular picture I did search through references for sunset colors. I also find that the first colors I put down usually don't quite look right so I'll go into hue and saturation and play around with that till it works. I'll also put a color gradient over the top of my picture and play with the opacity till the colors look right to me. Hope that answers your question!

Kaoki: thanks!

Lakka: Thank you, will do!

xbert: Thank you, yeah I'm still really happy with 151 too, I see a couple errors now though, should probably go back in and fix those.

No finished work for today, you guys will have to deal with scribbles, but I felt like updating, and this IS a SKETCHbook. Must remember that myself.

A few preliminary designs for this weeks COW, we're suppose to design a creature with flower-like features.

Name:  Flower-monsters.jpg
Views: 2119
Size:  130.0 KB
    Name:  Eastern-Mantis-Orchid-Creat.jpg
Views: 2108
Size:  158.8 KB

Skull for practice:

Name:  Monster-skull-doodles.jpg
Views: 2981
Size:  48.1 KB

And I felt like drawing something sexy...but I'm not sure if it turned out that well, it's not exactly the type of thing I draw often.

Name:  Monsters-Too.jpg
Views: 1956
Size:  92.5 KB

47. The Following User Says Thank You to GoldenSerpent For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6