Sketchbook: Visual cogitation time - Page 14
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Visual cogitation time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks kungfoowiz, yeah I see what you mean about the armor on the face haha, ooops

Here's some skintone experimenting, going to be doing skin practice all day today I think

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more skin experimenting; I feel like experimenting is the best thing to do at this stage

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Skintones are hard as hell. Selfportraits from mirror would help a lot I think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Bombur, I'll definitely be doing a color self portrait soon, good advice.
    I've finally got a request to redo someone's character, plus a children's book to work on with my friend, so I can't wait to start work on those!

Here's a skin tone ball and a still life from this morning

Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey bro

I see a lot of hard work here, I notice you are working on your tones. Man oh man, that meatball is looking good, you have a great render style, it reminds me some of your earliest studies from the mini art course.

Looking forward to seeing your self portrait in colour, one note though, when blocking in, don't worry if something looks weird on the face, it is better to assess once you have the rough shapes blocked in and to assess that.

Have fun. =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks kungfoowiz, good advice!

Here's the self portrait; hate the lips and most everything else, but it was my first attempt digitally in color (I think), and it did make me realize that shadows are darker than I imagine they should be when under direct light, and I made this harder on myself by wearing glasses and using two light sources (not to mention my tiny mirror makes it hard enough). But enough complaining, I need to start doing these on a more regular basis.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey bro, it's looking really good! Yip, I take my glasses off too for some studies, it generally helps without the added complications.

Construction looks good, except for the lips, the far side looks a bit off which you mention you don't like anyway, lol.

Neck looks great, really getting some nice form there. Try to do a similar thing for around the eyes, I think your faces are improving so much.

Have fun! =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its look really good so far in this sketchbook. =) I notice a lot of your more sucessful paintings rely a little on impressionism and copying the shapes and shadows you see with the naked eye. It's definately a good way to learn. I'm trying to move into that mindset myself.

Sometimes I find you try to mix mass painting with line and it doesn't always work out. Particulary in post #391, the first female portrait. I find it loses some expression by having those lines around her lips, eyes and nose. It feels too mechanically perfect. Lines are great tools for rthym and bounding masses, but i notice that when I use them for outlining features within the boundaries, i start to lose the artistic expression of my drawings. They become "dead" and mechanical. They lose their liveliness.

Hope that makes sense, its all new to me as well. I just read about it today. :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the great comments guys, it's helpful to know what other people are thinking : ]

Since I'm trying to do imaginative stuff every day now to go along with all the studies, here's lines for a character design I'm doing for someone; I'm going to be painting it in the next few days

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The character is looking good and the lines are really clean!

On the last sp, try to add more color variation to the skin tones, it seems all based on one hue.

And on the skin balls. I was doing those too, based off a tutorial I found on dA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks skMop, now I just need to figure out how I'm going to color that lineart : O

Here's more crap, I've been not very productive the past couple days; need to step my game back up

going to redo this I think

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook! You have a very nice one here. I like your colors that you've been using, especially for skin tones. Keep up the good work!

Here's my sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey bro

It's looking okay, what was wrong with the sorceress painting so far? Maybe you are stopping too early.. but cool, keep going and have fun. =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys, and kungfoowiz, I just want to try out some other processes on it to get more practice of technique.

sketched these from the book classical drawing atelier; love drawing with colored pencil

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey bro

These are fairly lovely drawings, I've never drawn in colour pencil myself, although I see you and others draw with them.

Your proportions are looking pretty good, the hips and thighs are improving. Feet are difficult though, try not to exaggerate the arch of the foot too much I would say.

Have fun with your next drawings. =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks kungfoo, appreciate it

Here's some low quality images of some color charts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey bro, the paint studies are looking good, what surprised me is how you managed to get the ivory black so white with the burnt sienna. It looks like you're adding white and yellow ochre to your range of colours for the other studies. Have fun bro. =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks kungfoowiz : ]

The grayscale is ivory black mixed with burnt sienna (so it doesn't get too cool) and then of course I used white to lighten it.

The color charts are for a palette of (yellow ochre, burnt sienna, pale yellow, alizarin crimson, french ultramarine, and ivory black) I mixed every possible mixture of those colors (with each chart having a certain color dominant) and used white to lighten up those mixtures down the columns. Hope that helps explain what you're seeing.

The first column of each chart is just the dominant color of the chart with white being added to it.

One problem I had was not mixing enough of the inferior color into the dominant color on some of them (because for some colors it hardly takes anything to make a difference, but I've learned that some colors are obviously more powerful and some (such as alizarin crimson) are pretty transparent and oily. Like I said, not perfect charts by far, but certainly learned a good bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thos studis is lucking good dude!! kipp them upp!!
    sorry fore my bad englich!!!!

my sb:http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=169044

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you sevarenge

Here's a study from idrawgirls site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    character redesigned for someone.
    I suck at color and at integrating a character into a background. Any advice would be super.

This was the original one they wanted me to redesign

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just try one picture and one thought in a way of doing it. Start with a black screen and imagine something in the darkness. Draw it out of the darkness. Imagine all the areas being hit by light and draw them and some of the details shown by the light.
    If you start with a color you could have trouble knowing where the color ends, but if you start with a light it can reveal textures, colors to the limit of the light. One light is enough to try and understand, and many may seem to have many angles where light could get complicated, but it don't. It just has less shadow areas because they blend, bounce, and reflect, and give off lights main property, it charges electrons to glow. The more light you have the more invisible gases glow like radioactive particles, and the reach as far as the light can radiate with power.
    Sorry, I may have taken it too far, but what your art needs is exposure to light, and starting with total darkness does help the imagination to bring things into the light exposing the colors, and textures of anything.

The paint mixing would be good if you can use just the basic colors to create all or any color. It would give you a basic red, blue, yellow understanding of colors, and with that only the lighter colors are too easy to change. You use a lot of white, but every thing else depends on the colors you use. I painted a lot of portraits with red, blue, yellow, white, and black. Teachers told me not to use black, because there is no true black in a picture, use burnt sienna. I was sold out, and I know from life there is a true blackness, and without black I can't make burnt sienna. Oh, what I meant by sold out was every picture I would do for the next 6 months were sold. I might take their advise in areas with light, but not things fading into total darkness. It was an area I was missing just from listening to them. If it was digital it would be like limiting your colors to 256, and I was thinking in true color.
    Anyway, if you can look and match most colors, you will see colors like a primary ingredient, (Start with white, add a dab of red, and a little yellow, then barely touch the blue and mix.) I can mix brown with all colors evenly and add it in when ever needed, and some blue and yellow for green so I can do mother nature. It becomes a habit and you don't spend a lot on paints. Yellow was expensive for a while so I bought green and orange to save cost. I just loved adding a colorful sky, but I used blue skies on portraits.

Last edited by AChipps; August 10th, 2010 at 07:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Liking what I'm seeing here, nice studies and experiments. Your anatomy is definitely getting along.

When it comes to colouring (which I'm bad at, so I'll try my best), you should try to use colours, rather than white in the highlights, and just a darker value of the same hue for the shadows. In the last one, the shadow of the dress is all one value, which makes it kind of seem like cell shading, then there are other areas that aren't like that, you should try to get a more even balance of finish. The bottom part of the dress is kind of weird, cause the folds that are closest to the light don't have the soft shading, which they should, or else the cloth kind of looks like cardboard or something. If you're going to work more on it though, I'd say add some more darks, and try to vary your hues a bit.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AChipps: Thanks for the advice; hopefully when I start painting in oils more (this month) I'll learn more about traditional color mixing and that will help me

PieMonster: Thanks, I'll be redesigning her and hopefully I can put some of that advice to use in my new design.

Here's some new studies (studying color relativity, saturation in shadows vs. light, etc.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like to see all the studies you're doing. You'll be a pro in no time! Keep up the good work!

My Website / My Sketchbook / My DeviantArt

Garlunk|Human|lvl07|pvp00|E0|Siren's Well
    Tomyris|Mystical|lvl02|pvp00|E0|Killrog's Palace
    PAINT HAMMER! The Art Making RPG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the post and the advice, I will keep working on anatomy! I love these value/color studies, you are clearly understanding the forms very well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NickTrip and Saramel, thanks! I've been busy moving back into my dorm, but I got a quick photo study done yesterday.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey bro

Good one on the latest studies, sorry I've been away for a while.. For your background, well if it is just a simple character design that's fine, but if you want something more elaborate then you have to draw out your ideas firstly. And that's about as much advice as I could gie atm, because that's pretty much where I'm also at.. Have fun with your next studies bro. =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey bro

Good one on the latest studies, sorry I've been away for a while.. For your background, well if it is just a simple character design that's fine, but if you want something more elaborate then you have to draw out your ideas firstly. And that's about as much advice as I could gie atm, because that's pretty much where I'm also at.. Have fun with your next studies bro. =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep it up with the studies!
    I see you did a selfportrait at the beginning of this month, you should do more they are really good practice.

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3