Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks

Im 16 Years old. Suggestions Please!

Hello. My name is Kevin however on CA Feel free to call me Tortuga becuase that's my screen name and name I chose it randomly from my spanish book quiet some time ago. As you saw in my title I am 16. I live in the U.S. and I'm a regular on ventrilo.

I have received allot of great advice on vent over the past few months and I feel I have improved, but i still have several miles left to travel. Any Advice you could give me on here would be great. Also if i don't get a chance to say thank you for any advice you might give me then let me say it in advance, thank you.

- Latest Pictures on Last Page -

Last edited by Tortuga; March 22nd, 2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: change in pic agian ;(

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Great start

It's a great start. You may want to work on some lighting and muscle structure. Keep at it and you will do just fine.

Thanks
    Hey there =]. I started here around your age too.
    First piece of advice from me, to watch your proportions. Thats where everyone starts out. those hands seem a bit small for that body. The shape of the torso also needs to be looked at. Just to get an Idea of the way the body breaks down you can look here.

http://analyticalfiguresp08.blogspot...max-results=12

Those are Kevin Chen's sketches from a demo that he did. They're really good to study and compare with reference figures. You should work a lot from reference and from life when you can. You'll realize after you've done it enough that you can better create figures from your mind.

Also I suggest getting a book on figure Drawing look for books by Andrew Loomis, George Bridgman or Burne Hogarthe. Read them, sketch from them and move on.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThabisoMhlaba For This Useful Post:

Thanks

A quick thing

A pic i made recently, need suggestion on how to make more affective skin tones, and i will also work on my anatomy.

Jumping around houses north east in the uk.
    Thanks
    Lovely, I suggest you do more value studys to help you with modeling of the planes. The way they interact with light.

Loomis is great to study this, In his drawing books.

It helps to to explore it through sculpture too >>> http://www.learning-to-see.co.uk/feeling-the-form

Thanks
    Hey, nice start! and welcome to CA!
    I wish I had started when I was your age , but I would like to see all the old sketches you've done, to see how you improved.

On the values for skintone I suggest that you study photos, models, read some good books about values or check some out here at CA, like this one , or check out the stuff over here.

I would suggest that you do anatomy studies(lot's of 'em, can't do enough), do alot of drawings from real life, from pictures, self portraits, from everything! And the most important thing, Don't give up and work hard! looking forward to see some more from you.

And one more thing, don't forget to have fun!

Thanks

Some little thumb/hand studies

need more practice, i have just began with these though.

Thanks
    Hey! Nice start here. I would like to see your pencil sketches also to give proper crits but for starters I would suggest that you study anatomy and proportions. Also try to do your digitals in B&W to study value and lighting.

Just keep on working hard and you'll make it. I was your age when I started doing digital artwork and 5 years later I'm working as a concept designer in the game industry. Hard work pays off!

Keep it up!

-Juhani

Thanks
    I thought you were German :|
    Liar! ;D

Some good studies in here, let's see more!

Gestures and anatomy please, k.

You wanted a suggestion on skintones; Look at skin and the shading it receives from the absence or presence of light
    (whichever way you prefer to think of it, they both come down to the same thing).

It's subtle, like your stroke will need to be if you want to display skin.
    references are always good, and seeing how other artists have solved the problem is good for "taking suggestions" and finding your own way.
    Last edited by Helioth; February 16th, 2009 at 07:58 PM. Reason: skintones

Thanks

hand

Hey thanks for the suggestions also i will try to put some real world pictures on here when i get the chance.

Here is a hand i tried making but its not turning out to well, i tried too use some sketetal structure or something, the lines looks nice, but the hand i made with it looks really bad. Oh well, must keep practicing, after all this is only day one of my hand studies, i can only hope that i will approve soon.

Thanks

Sphere study

Some spheres im studying, trying to get the color down and understand. Comment, critique, it all helps

Thanks

some quick spheres i did

not as huge as the first one.

Thanks
    hey man welcome to CA ya I am 16 too, I love this place it has helped me soo much
    anyways that last "sphere" drawing needs some work, you ignored the reflected light, and the rendering does not really blend together, I would recommend that you put some more time into it and really try to figure out how the light interacts with the object here is a quick reference I found hope it helps

keep drawing man that first one looked very nice, shoot for that quality in all of your work
    I know you can do a better sphere
    -jedi

Thanks

double sphere thing

more practice, also spent more time on this, its getting easier getting the values down but i still might be off with the shadows on the figure, the shadows on the ground could be way off.

Thanks

Apple

Apple i tried making shadows aren't to smooth but its an improvement.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast