Advice on human form pretty please
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Advice on human form pretty please

hi, My main focus on drawing is the human form, so i knocked up this sketch with close reference to a book on the human form.. original pose though.
    i.e i didn't just copy the book.

when drawing i usually start with a skeleton posing . making sure everything looks the right size.. sorta..
    then fill it all in and create the character on top.

so if you guys could give me some tips on how to make this look better i would be very greatful.

i have uploaded the sketch and the digital painting i did in ps
    If anyone has tips on how to become better at digital paitning or knows any good sites/tutorials i would be over the moon

cheers

j

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by John Isaacson; February 15th, 2009 at 06:57 AM. Reason: pictures too big accident
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As far as proportions go, it looks more or less ok.

Do you draw the clothes, gloves and boots straight on the skeleton, or do you sketch how the hands, feet and other body parts should look before covering them with clothes? Because in some places it seems like the clothing distorts the body, like in the stretched out hand and foot.

If you're into properly learning the human form, I think some "copying" practice could do you good. Sit with your book and draw the muscles and body parts you see, while trying to understand and remember their shape, location and how they fit in with other muscles. You have a good grasp of proportion, but I don't think you completely understand the muscular structure yet.

As far as digital painting goes, I think you need to think about light when you work. It seems you shade each part of the picture separately, resulting in quite flat shading. Think about where the light is coming from, which objects drop their shadow on others, which areas are far away from the light and would therefore be darker. As practice you can do the same exercises from anatomy books, but as digital painting instead of line work, considering light and material.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chate Noire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Practice, practice and practice some more the drawing and rendering (i.e., portrayal of light & shadow) of very basic forms like cubes, spheres, cylinders and cones before getting into the much deeper water of human form. Learn the rules of perspective, too. This will help you build a strong foundation that can only help when doing bodies, faces, clothing and accessories. Virtually everything you can draw or paint can be broken down into a basic form (with a little imagination), so if you can handle those well, the more complex stuff will be easier to deal with.

As mentioned above, be particularly attentive to how light falls on these basic forms and wraps itself around them, how the planes and surfaces of the forms react to varying degrees of light from different angles. Set up some still-life subjects (kids' blocks make great props for this, but there are lots of household items that will do as well) and study/draw/learn how natural light reacts on objects, so you can imagine it more fully for "out-of-your-head" subject matter.

Without this foundation, your attempts at human form will be mostly just uninformed guesswork.

Continuity Break -- my sketchbook

Shameless plugs!
    Kata femme -- a 3D model WIP, now updated!
    The Giordano Gambit -- Barsoomian Zingball at its best!
    Valkyrie Ascending -- now updated with the second in a series!
    ArmaRagnaGeddonRock-yer-Yuga! -- celeztial shitz 'n' gigglez
    I . Miss . America -- "colored [eyes] may hypnotize..."

"In the end, Razputin, aren't we all just dogs playing poker?"
    -- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chate Noire, cheers for the reply.

to answer your question I draw the skeleton first and then add the clothes, yeah i was trying to give this guy a pot belly but it just looks more like it's stretched out. I guess improving my use of light will improve my technique to show the clothing better as well

Thanks for replying masque and chate noire

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.