Did you always want to... Art?..
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Did you always want to... Art?..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Did you always want to... Art?..

Well... How did you end up here? Did you want this to happen was this you're plan when you were young get these qualifications draw like a printer in a fritz and just pop out the other side a grizzled art veteran with more shades of black and white passed though you're thoughts on to paper than you'll ever know...

Or did you want to be something else but something, someone or just talent pointed you this direction? Did you always like art? Have you always been pretty good. Or have you been down right CRAP and just worked you're supporting finger to the bone on that pencil because you loved art but weren't good?

Just so curious to how people end up doing what they do in art. Everyone seems to always go ONE direction and then that motorway had so many turn offs and some people take more than one. I find it intreguing. (SP) Lol

Tell us you're tale... *sits down crosses legs and shuts up*

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wanted to be a space colonist. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol. It always does...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've just always been into art. I seriously can't remember of a time when I wasn't thinking about something to draw or make.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I started drawing stuff around me as a kid. Then I started drawing cool stuff from movies. Next I depicted characters from video games.

I wanted to be an architect because it was a good day job and I could draw.

Deviantart (in 2003, mind you) opened up a new world of art and people paying other people to draw them pictures. (You can get paid to draw?) I wanted to draw anime characters for people.

In high school, I started to learn fundamentals, art history, and about painting. I applied for art school but didn't have enough money.

In community college, I thought graphic design would be an acceptable alternative and two years later I decided I was wrong. I took more art studio and enjoyed having a retired illustrator/fine artist as a mentor and educator. I joined Conceptart.org soon after.

SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Matsign For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh, I still have a book that I illustrated when I was like 3 or 4 and dictated the words to my grandmother...every time my sister wants to point out how morbid I am she reminds me of it (the book is about a girl who eats her purse, gets fat, turns into a frog, and apparently dies because the last two pages go "This is her skeleton", "Here are her bones". XD ) Actually have 4 or 5 other books that I wrote and illustrated in elementary school. What I really wanted to be however, was a paleontologist.

Art was always my favorite class. Took every possible course in HS, minored in art in college. Even held a job "artistic" enough to warrant showing up to work in a t-shirt for several years. Now days the passion waxes and wanes. Too many interests, not enough time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, i pretty much have always known i would be doing something art related. I wanted to be doing something science related for a period of time, but then realized that if i wanted to get any good at science, i would have to learn some math.

I even wanted to be a writer for a short time, but that involved too much reading to be any good at, and i didn't like reading back then. Finally I came to the conclusion in about my 2nd year at a junior college (probably when i was drawing in class) that i was in fact an artist to the core and that was the route i would pursue, so that's what i did and never looked back.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

Ian Miles is offline Leave you message after press enter key. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I was young I wanted to be a Space Marine sooo bad... Then I grew up, and realized that the only space marines I´m gonna to see in my life, are the ones that I paint. x_x

Sketchbook is one click away:
    Never forget the Magicman

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    At the end of secondary school I had to decide what I want to do. I always knew I was good at art related stuff and decent enough at foreing languages. I decided to take direction connected with art in general.

I chose painting department at fine art school in my city and practised life drawing for maybe two years to get there. However there was always humongous competition out there and only few percent passes the elimination. At that time if I didn't get anywhere I would have to go through obligatory military service which wasn't very nice. That's why at the same time for safety reasons (Plan B as I called it) I tried to get into architecture department at Technological University. A bit less art related stuff and it was also hard to get into but nothing else seemed for me.
    Finally with fine art school it didn't work out but I got onto architecture. Few years passed and I realised that I'm not cut out for this type of job. It was a bit too late to change studies so now I'm just trying to finish it and move on. The more I love illustration, the less I love architecture though which is why I suck grades now :/.

Last edited by Farvus; February 14th, 2009 at 05:29 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For as long as I can remember art has always been the thing that gained me the most attention and appreciation from people, and so I naturally turned my efforts toward it. I still operate on the same principal (and of course I love doing it)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've always done art from being really young, but it didnt click that this was the career for me untill about a year ago.

First, i also wanted to be a paleontologist, go dinosaurs!

Then as some unfortunate events happend in my life i realised that i really enjoyed helping other people, this lead me to pursue Psychiatry (then i realised that thats too clincal, so i went after psychology).

I really loved psychology, while studying it i took a art class on the side and visited CA, what i realised is that i love discussing psychology but when it comes to sitting down and memorising numbers and facts, i gain very little satisfaction from it, but with art i enjoy every aspect, from the act of mark making, to analysing other peoples work.

so now i chase art, i know it seems weak to not go after something because it dosnt instantly gratify you, but shit i live once, and art makes that living so much more fun!

dan's sketchbook

The ssg with no name.. for now
    NRX - Frasermct - Walid D - The wannabe Dr, Mr Phil - Dilated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    actually, without sounding to fanboy. It was actually this site got me thinking, in the direction for real. But like all the others that replied here, i have been drawin/painting since forever.

-Inc!

"Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

Sketchbook <-nsfw|Deviantart | Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just wanted to own an art gallery when i was a kid still do. Only i figured if i opened one it would end up being my crap and it wouldnt sell lol.

Mystress of shadows "Always Tease Never Please"

Art is like a butterfly, Beautiful and free but it is also like a scorpion poisonous and nasty to those who dont know how to handle it.

EveningKiss Labrynth Sketchbook

EveningKiss myspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've always wanted to draw and paint, yes. Never questioned it, never doubted it. Though, when I was younger I fell for the "artists can't make a living" myth, and wanted to be a web designer, media designer or cave explorer instead.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I only really got into Art when I stopped gaming,largly because I felt I could achive more rather when wasting time with my thumbs.I suppose when I was younger (we talking 5 ish) painting was somthing I enjoyed but then came the discovery of gaming,which made me lazy.You could say I was tempted from the path of Art by gaming,I have since started on the path again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In the back of my head I knew I always wanted to produce art for a living. My days were filled up with thinking of story ideas as well as making mini-comics and sketches in my notes in school.

Like many people, I fell into the "artists can't make a living" crap and decided to become a pharmaceutical chemist. After one semester of college and finding CA, I decided to drop my chemistry aspirations and do something that would make me happy for the rest of my life. While there was been a lot of snags along the way (Two years of constant migraines and no job hasn't helped), the process is coming along and I couldn't be happier with my decision.

"Wake up. Work hard. Stop being a loser." -Dave Rapoza

[ DeviantArt Gallery ] :: [ Inexorable Artistry ] :: [ CA Sketchbook ]

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    I played with lego, never thought about future careers when I was young. i guess that's why I'm in art now

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I wanted to be a kind of circus artist-fireman-sherrif-wolf trainer-astronaut-pirate-intergalactic traveller-witch

I guess I succeed at some parts of my career plan.

Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Clochette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I still just want to be an astronaut.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Incinerated View Post
    actually, without sounding to fanboy. It was actually this site got me thinking, in the direction for real. But like all the others that replied here, i have been drawin/painting since forever.

-Inc!
    Ditto for me. When I first joined it was just for a few pointers here and there, but after 6 months and the opening of my sketchbook my outlook had changed and I was willing to make it more than just a hobby. After I improved a bit I started to see that this may be a viable route.

These days, at least once a month I have to hate my art and once a month I love art and can't stop doing it. It's a weird manic-depressive cycle that I've learned not to fuck around with. Mad Jason + forcing self to do art = broken art equipment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I've always drawn. It's what people from primary school remember me from. They don't remember my name they remember, "Oh yeah the guy who used to draw all the time" I pretty much drew anything and always wanted people who were good to draw me pictures. I always asked my dad to draw stuff I liked and then I'd watch him draw it. I just liked to draw and create. I always played with LEGO and I loved Clay/Play Doh. Ever since I was young, I've always said I want to be a designer. Lol. Not a magician, not an astronaut, not something say Really amazing... Designer. Haha.

I don't find it half as fun as I did, but I know it's the only thing I will be proffessional at if I work at. I have a head start. I have almost no other skills. I like to be and think intelligent, philosophy, psychology interest me. I kind of want to be a director/actor/writer, they are things I'll persue at the same time as trying to be good at art.

Recently I had an art breakdown and I started questioning everything, why do we do art. Why do I want to draw? Whats the point? I signed up for the army... Then after christmas I changed my mind. I'm still trying to find the definite path I want to choose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I was little I wanted to be that guy from The Pretender.
    Took me a few years of research to find out there weren't actually any jobs like that.

Now I still want to be that guy from The Pretender. But art is a very close second.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I wanted to be a chemist the whole time I was in high school. Instead I went to art school, but I left there to get an MBA and maybe become a lawyer. 2 years in, I realized my soul would die if there was no art in my life. It was very hard for me to learn to take my passion for art and make that into the thing I did for WORK, that can be the most surefire way to suck all the fun out of the think you love most. But after doing something dry and sensible, I realized there was no way I COULDN'T do art for a living.

So now I make video games.

Point being, don't stress. The path you take in life is never a straight, easy one. Even if it could be, I wouldn't want it. Try LOTS of things. Find your passion, then run with it. If you make your passion your profession, there may be days you can't stand it, and there will also be days that are the most rewarding you can imagine. There is no magic pass, there is no easy ride. It is all about how hard and how much you are willing to work at this thing that you love.

Foot note: I also wanted to be a Disney Princess. Ever since I was 4.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to JessiBean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I always enjoyed drawing and always dreamed of being an animator or a comic book artist (well, 'bédéiste' which is the francophone equivalent ).

I never stopped drawing, but then I also caved in to the 'get a real career' idea for a while and became an accredited graduate gemologist... Then I realized I absolutely hated the jewellery industry and vowed never to sell out that way again. It just makes you miserable.

So I managed to get a job in web programming and design, which did allow me to draw mascots and logos for a while. Now I'm doing freelance illustration work that is nothing to write home about (very local and rather commercial type stuff- greeting cards, stock-type images, adverts...) but at least I'm drawing. I'm also sudying 3D Animation part time in the hopes of finally getting to make a contribution in the animation world.

So what I learned is never settle for doing things that are not true to your own character and don't do things just to make a lot of money: Do the things you enjoy for the sake of them (and, well, just to be able to grab a sammich once in awhile ).

ALH is offline one of those tiny little dogs rich people keep in their vaginas
    Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I always drew, but i wasnt cursed with the 'want', no ..*need* to art until i began to take it all a little more seriously.

Now i get withdrawl symptoms .

In seriousness- when i was a kid my mind changed constantly about what i wanted to be- like everyones really. At one point i wanted to be an animator - we had some people come into our school and demo stop motion to us, and i thought it was the coolest thing ever- but that faded as i got older, and more into nature. I wanted to be a vet for a while, but to be perfectly honest, the only reason i was interested in it was to learn the anatomy- having the responsibility over life like that was not something which gels well with me.

Eventually, like many people who have posted in this thread, i realised i'd have to be good at maths to get anywhere with science - and while i was ace at biology i was barely competant at chemistry - so i lowered my goals a little to dreaming of working in a zoo - anything to be around creatures. Then i had the sudden realisation that i could learn anatomy and observe creatures via drawing- something i did all the time anyways- and make a job out of that without getting my fingers too messy or risking getting mauled by lions or pissed off kitty cats.

..and i guess if i wasnt so into gaming i'd be trying to be a wildlife illustrator right now instead of a concept artist. Actually, thats a lie, Jurassic Park left a big enough impact on me that i thought back then- and still think now- that designing monsters for a movie would be a pretty awesome job. Couldnt have predicted back then that game CGI would be on a similar level as movies within little over a decade though x_x.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've grown up around art, as my mum used to do it as a hobby, and she often let me join her with drawing and painting, so I have been doing art since I was young. It has always been one of, if not my favourite class in school, primary and secondary. It is something I've always enjoyed, and apparently have a "talent" for, which I disagree with, as I know myself I have a long way to go! Despite all of this, I had always wanted to be a research Zoologist, since I was very young. I was an odd kid and watched animal documentaries instead of kids programs! Animals were a huge interest for me, and still are.

This dream however, was cut short a few months ago, due to several personal real life events, and the realisation that I would never actually achieve that job. To begin with, I felt extremely lost, and was panicing and thinking "What the hell am I going to actually do in the future now?". After about a month of worrying and deep thought, it dawned on me. I could study and go into the art career! I couldn't believe, and still can't believe I had completely overlooked this for so long. It has been a part of my life the whole time I've been alive, and I could never live without it. Crazy that I never even considered having it as my career before.

Anyway... about a month ago I decided I was going to study art at college, and I've never looked back. I still have a lot to decide, like what exactly my career in art will actually be. It's so vast, and so many different options, it is hard to make a decision. I'm just going to "dabble" in each area which seems interesting and see which suits me best. But this decision was probably one of the best I have made, it just feels right (sounds cheesy, I know but it's how I feel) and I finally feel I am on the right path. Although I am very lucky the college I will begin studying at in September is going to start life drawing classes. SO now all there is to do is to start saving my pennies for art school I guess

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I always wanted to be Robin Hood. Only got to swing around on a rope unplanned once, and it wasn't that much fun.

The S.O. wanted to be a fire dog.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Short answer: Yes

-----------------------------------------------------
    portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK
    -----------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, a lot of you really have a passion for art. There is no passion with me, it's all I can do and all I've ever done but it doesn't motivate me and it doesn't drive me, this makes me feel very uneasy. I'm not passionate about anything actually, realising the world is a small place at my age is so disheartening. There is no uncharted land for ME to go sail to, there is nothing I'll see that nobody else has. Its all so sad. Lol. O wells. Art it is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Justconner View Post
    Man, a lot of you really have a passion for art. There is no passion with me, it's all I can do and all I've ever done but it doesn't motivate me and it doesn't drive me, this makes me feel very uneasy. I'm not passionate about anything actually, realising the world is a small place at my age is so disheartening. There is no uncharted land for ME to go sail to, there is nothing I'll see that nobody else has. Its all so sad. Lol. O wells. Art it is.
    Don't erect boundaries for yourself. Look for doors to open. There are vast areas of ocean floor not yet seen by humans, vast cave spaces not yet seen by humans, This did not stop Jules Verne, it inspired him. More recently, the vastness of unexplored territory in Antarctica inspired Alan Moore to write about what it would be like if a rich genius had a pleasure dome there. You can have passion if you let your imagination run a little bit free.

As you go to school, don't let them kill the little child in you. Give that child some time each week to explore in the vastness of your imagination. What would you do if you owned an island in Micronesia? If you were the first human to encounter an alien civilization, what would they look like?

What would you do if you were a crewman of an old ship carrying passengers and it was taking water in a forward compartment so badly, and the bulging bulkhead (wall) of that compartment was so rusty that whoever went below to shore up that wall with a beam took the risk that his first mallet blow to wedge that beam into place would breach the rusty bulkhead, instantly flooding that compartment. (scenario explored by Joseph Conrad in "Lord Jim."

What would it be like if a hostile alien species controlled the surface and the remaining humans lived out their lives in a vast system of underground corridors (scenario explored in a 1930s era science fiction called "Tumithak of the Corridors").

Play "what if" and when you run into a problem (what do the corridor people eat?) try to design a solution by drawing it.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1