Chow 147 :: VOTING :: Baba Yaga - IDW Crossover - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: In who's pot will the children be dropped?

Voters
267. You may not vote on this poll
  • 31 11.61%
  • 9 3.37%
  • 18 6.74%
  • 44 16.48%
  • 17 6.37%
  • 7 2.62%
  • 5 1.87%
  • 18 6.74%
  • 9 3.37%
  • 1 0.37%
  • 77 28.84%
  • 3 1.12%
  • 22 8.24%
  • 53 19.85%
  • 94 35.21%
  • 28 10.49%
  • 19 7.12%
  • 5 1.87%
  • 50 18.73%
  • 12 4.49%
  • 8 3.00%
  • 108 40.45%
  • 5 1.87%
  • 1 0.37%
  • 14 5.24%
  • 18 6.74%
  • 6 2.25%
  • 43 16.10%
  • 8 3.00%
  • 17 6.37%
  • 1 0.37%
  • 20 7.49%
  • 40 14.98%
  • 14 5.24%
  • 22 8.24%
  • 2 0.75%
  • 1 0.37%
  • 39 14.61%
  • 11 4.12%
  • 95 35.58%
  • 5 1.87%
  • 12 4.49%
  • 39 14.61%
  • 159 59.55%
  • 81 30.34%
  • 23 8.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Chow 147 :: VOTING :: Baba Yaga - IDW Crossover

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do agree that my perspective looks weird but i don't really understand about my painting being too flat. Is it the value of my background or something else?

My website : CHOO3D
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by IIKII View Post
    I do agree that my perspective looks weird but i don't really understand about my painting being too flat. Is it the value of my background or something else?

I think she means that you're using close to 100% saturation in all your colors -- and this means you're not using atmospheric perspective. When things are farther away, the hazier and grayer they become. This is art 101

But bravo for joining in the CHOW, it's a lot of work!

I took your image and just fiddled with it a little tiny bit to show you what I was talking about. I only added layer masks and messed with the saturation/colors in photoshop... but you get the idea.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    It is enough that we set out to mold the motley stuff of life into some form of our own choosing; when we do, the performance is itself the wage.
    -Learned Hand

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed." ~Albert Einstein

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nerahla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lennon View Post
    Hey, I noted that some people voted for their own image, is that fair?
    Um, no, this is not allowed. I will go through and see who voted for themselves, and remove a vote each. Thanks for letting me know.

Edit:

adam hunter peck
    and Ionic, shame on you, you should know better.

Please no voting for yourself, peoples, it just don't make sense!

Last edited by daestwen; February 17th, 2009 at 10:14 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    picking jaw up from the floor - absolutely amazing entries this CHOW!

I had a difficult time voting - all of them were so good! I had six I really liked a lot.

I finally voted for deadred

bumskee - captured seduction, alluring, spell casting to the T - so close to getting my vote!!!

Fersteger - your painting is creepy - pure chills - most inventive character design! incredible job!!!! wow! if I saw that in the woods - holly $#!+!!!

Poshspice -details, colors, design = amazing.

Boyo - great style, colors etc...your image caught my eye first scrolling down. I voted for a more realistic style painting, but man, I really like
    your use of brushes etc. the flow is great!!

over all most images were very well done! after seeing these entries I official packed my Wacom up! I have a better chance at being a body builder, than a concept artist...

Last edited by JoeX; February 17th, 2009 at 10:47 AM.
    I use to be on the outside looking in. Now I'm on the inside looking outside...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerahla View Post
    Same with: Poshspice and Bumskee. They don't need my vote, they have plenty of fans already. And once again, particularly with bumskee, they just didn't actually /do/ anything. They just sail by with their pretty colors and excellent technical ability.

Bumskee, I could barely tell yours had a /thing/ to do with Baba Yaga at all. Shame on you
    You serious, Clark?

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to strych9ine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Honorable Mention:

Deadred. I almost voted for you, but the damn eyeballs in the nipples thing has been overused by another artist I know and it flippin creeps me the shit out. I actually didn't vote for it because of that ><
    haha thanks, i guess i really drew something of true horror which artist is it that you mentioned? sounds interesting if you have a link handy to share.

i was drawing the mouth over her belly cos i once read somewhere that she eats kids in one gulp and always hungry, then i was thinking of what to do with her boobies, and so.. lolz

thanks for all the feedback so far, i'll vote and comment when i have more time to sit down and write a longer reply

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How bout some crits then...

Dan Liimatta- Very cool concept and very freaky, that body and legs are nasty. The way you painted it looks very cool too, tight and finished in the right spots, loose in the unfocused areas. I don't like those brown strokes on the bottom, not sure what they are supposed to be, if it isn't important to the pic or story leave it out I say.

Joey B- Nice job, again very freaky. To punch up the composition you probably could have put a little angle on the hanging chicken to show her slight forward motion and put her to the side of the pic more. She's right in the middle of the image which makes her looks static, but from her leaning angle it looks like she's floating forward so it's a bit unharmonious.

MarkustheBarbarian- I really like this one. The textures and lighting is great. Though to nitpick, that branch on the right that catches the light is too bright. It's glowing and drags me away from the character, it's distracting.

Stricman- Cool concept and different, the graphical treatment of the trees and the BG is great, maybe if you incorporated some of that flowing organic graphic linework into the character it would bring some style to her. Like the dangling ropes on her back could have more gnarliness rather than smooth even lines.

Sony- I like her face especially her black eyes. Whats up with the playstation lol. It feels like her props are added on her and not in the same space. Some correctly placed shadows would bring it all to one level I think. The shadow from the playstation is not dark at all but the shadow from her upper arm is nearly black. I think it needed some accents.

Jeremy Hoffman- Very cool, I love the style and colors. All that graphic shit everywhere is dope. Those squiggles with the cast shadow really draw me in lol. I think a little less texture and more graphicness to her face would have unified the pic a bit more.

Nikola- Nice work, Keep at it man. It feels a bit crowded with the crow, house, face all in one triangle in the middle with so much black space around and below. Too much solid black, the staff is totally lost below her hand, a little atmosphere to push the BG back would help. Though it's not a dark midnight pic the first WIP is stronger than the final I think, because of the strong character silhouette .

Masque- Cool, that kid is dead meat. The bits and strokes of saturated color all around is very nice. Gives a very thick painty feel. I think the composition could be stronger. Like Joey B, it seems she is moving but the way she's placed in the pic kills the motion that would be amplified by good placement. Her head is just about dead center. Look at D@niel's, she's really cruising there. Same with Boyo. Their character's are probably moving faster, but by placing them to the side that movement is implied and amplified .

Artofinca- coolness, I like the linework, scratchy look, but it still has great depth from her head to the back of her costume. The subtle branches and foliage are great, just barely implied but there, not distracting but they hhold the piece together. The texture old page look is perfect for this pic.

Artina- Great, very solid. She feels very real, the limbs all go forward or back in space. Handled very well. The cloth pattern and lighting is great. I just don't like the lava color scheme around her. I like WIP 3 or 4 much more in terms of overall color, but the way it's finished is great.

Kiminator- Cool, cool, cool. So subtle and mysterious, looks great. the clouds and composition and spirals are perfect. Maybe if that foremost cloud spiral was a touch sharper it would pop, but I like this one a lot. I think she conveys the different not scary but wise version of Baba which is nice.

Inkfish- Freaky deaky. Very nice lighting effects and handling of different materials. She got shiny, matte, dirty, clean. It's all there and done well but that might be detracting from the pic. Too many different handlings makes it feel incohesive. But her eyes are great, piercing and very believable.

Sekino- great, lines, compostion, color, it's all good. The different textures are there but work with eachother. The design on her clothes are cool, that fur she is wearing and the slight shadow cast by it really pop and looks so cool. I really like this one.

Boyo- What can I say, you know what you're doing. Let's see some more of your work man! So many good things about this, I'm not gonna asspat too much, but everything is spot on, even just that white un-outlined skull at the bottom, the color and the shape so smooth and frickin dope.

Doomstagg- Concept and idea is cool. I don't know if the glowing bone is the only light source, but if it is I think you coulda punched it up some more. Doesn't seem saturated enough to be glowing. The BG bothers me, it seems the pic is handled a bit illustrative and less of a character design, which warrants some kinda BG even if very subtle, Where if there was less apparent narrative going on a flat BG would be fine.

Ok, I have to work, I'll spew more nonsense later.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fersteger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by deadred View Post
    haha thanks, i guess i really drew something of true horror which artist is it that you mentioned? sounds interesting if you have a link handy to share.

i was drawing the mouth over her belly cos i once read somewhere that she eats kids in one gulp and always hungry, then i was thinking of what to do with her boobies, and so.. lolz

thanks for all the feedback so far, i'll vote and comment when i have more time to sit down and write a longer reply

Deadred -- he's on here as Cannibalcandy - but on deviant art he's Ariokh. He's /awesomely/ fantastically great.. I love him -- but he does the eyeball-nipple thing a LOT! lol!! Bleeding ones, too.. GAH anyway. He's one of my absolute faves of all time anyway. But I find it hard to look at all the same. O.o

It is enough that we set out to mold the motley stuff of life into some form of our own choosing; when we do, the performance is itself the wage.
    -Learned Hand

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed." ~Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    And Strychnine. I'm dead serious. I've been watching them in CHOW for years now. It's all the same. Its gorgeous, it's technically brilliant, but meh - same shit different day. Tired of seeing all the same people pukesuckup over them all the time. we /know/ they're good already.
    Nehrala Thank you, but Im here to learn too, as (without taking his name in vain or speaking for him) is Bumskee. I never enter this to win or make fans. Would you prefer it if we didn't take part? I do it because every Monday morning I check the ChOW and think ooh, that sounds cool, I can have fun with that. And Bumskee will have put as much thought and creativity into his image as anyone else here, and I doubt just 'sailed by' and bunged a few colours down. Because someone reaches a certain ability level does not disqualify them from being treated like others. Hes entering this to expand his abilities and inspiration as is everyone. Ignoring him because hes good seems... a bit odd really and is making an exception.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dammit, Posh! You beat me to it

(and all you fans can yell at me all you want, it falls on deaf ears, I'm quite immune)
    Feel free to ignore this then

All that being said, I left out votes on purpose for several of the "popular" artists because they rest on their laurels, and this is easy for them. In fact, I didn't vote at all for D@niel because it's so clear how good he is, and he really didn't use much of his ability at all... at least, it doesn't look like he did. It looks like he just threw it together and hoped his excellent strokes and color would do the rest. Well I'm not swayed It's gorgeous, but I didn't vote for it.

Same with: Poshspice and Bumskee. They don't need my vote, they have plenty of fans already. And once again, particularly with bumskee, they just didn't actually /do/ anything. They just sail by with their pretty colors and excellent technical ability.
    Obviously, everyone can vote however they want and our personal likes and dislikes come into it, but I think this is a terrible attitude. How do you think these artists got so good? They weren't born this good. You know it takes work, right? Why do you think they enter ChoW? So they can 'rest on their laurels'?

If you think they can do better, why don't you make a constructive crit that the artist can actually use?

blue's sketchbook
    Someone gave me this custom title and I will never, ever change it!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bluefooted For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So firstly, I'd like to say that I'm really enjoying working on these weeklies! I feel like they really allowed me to push myself, and to apply some prior learned skills that I had no chance to apply earlier. I will need to take a break from them since I'll be out of town (getting married) but I will return full speed afterward, and hopefully prove myself to you guys! I would also like to thank for all the votes my picture received so far, it means i must have done something right!

I had a really hard time deciding on whom to vote this round, since there's so many great images. My votes went to Boyo, Fersteger, John Bridges, Bugmeyer, Poojipoo, Poshspice, Bumskee, and Deadred. It was few more votes than I was hoping to cast, but I really couldn't make up my mind on some.

Yoitisi: from the first moment I saw the sketch for this, I really liked her design. She looks very pretty to me- too pretty in a way. It is definitely one of my favorites here, and I think if it were only in color, it probably would have tipped the voting scale for me.

Fersteger: I absolutely love the atmosphere and lightng in yours. If I was able to step into any of these paintings, it would have been yours! I was a bit disappointed though, that you did not take wassermelone's recommendation to expand the canvas.

John Bridges: I feel silly for missing this first time around, especially since you do have your name on it! I really like the storybook feel in your image, and the fox is a nice touch.

Deadred: you really surprised me with your entry. It has caught my eye in as a wip already, but I really like the direction you took it in. I love the focus that you have created with your lighting, and Baba Yaga's expression. I also like her 'second face' I think that it is funny and clever at the same time (and cute in some weird and twisted way)

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wingedchime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I try not to get involved with this. And, this isn't about votes Nerahla.

Personally, I'm insulted by the pucksuckup comments and the idea that everyone votes for popularity. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm sure there are people who vote because of a name.

But, the thing is, these people, all of these people that go to finals, work hard. And, if you think about it. All of their works as you say, "look alike", because of the way they draw, what the artist likes, the little bits of personality that go into the drawing.

The poll is not about winning, at least to me, it's more about enjoying the hard work at the end of the day. We give nods to those who we think captured what we saw of the character best. Everyone has different voting techniques, and yours is to be respected. Just please don't insult their hard work, or those who would compliment their work.

This is the internet, we have no reason to suck up to each other because more than likely we will never know the person on the other end. However, in order to keep peace, we do need to realize what are words may sound like to those reading them.

Maybe you didn't mean to insult them, and us. But, that's what you have done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so, in other words Nerahla, you pity-voted for people? wow, they must feel good now.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to nicolas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's not like I've just looked at the past two CHOWs and figured this out. I've been checking out CHOW for years now... it's just my observation. Really really good stuff gets totally blown over if you guys participate.... because you're popular.
    Um, i'm sorry Nerahla, but I'm going to have to agree that this is a terrible attitude to take. :/ And it just isn't true. Both Posh and Bumskee have entered many more times than they've won, for starters.

Chow has a huge range of ability, all the way up from amateur to professional, so obviously it ends up seeming a little scewed towards the professionals.

However, their participation is partly what makes chow such a good place *for* beginners, students, or early-professionals like me who still have a really long way to go - we get to see how a professional would handle the same brief that we would.

I don't know about anyone else, but even though I am quite a fan of Posh's or bumskee's work, i don't vote for them every round they participate. For both of these guys, I am very capable of going back to show you rounds where their work just didn't hit a chord with the voters (sorry boys, but you know it's true!).

Same goes with some of the others here who's work I love, but doesn't always work. The Titania round is a good example of this - we had a huge amount of professional entries, by people who had won chow several times before, but the winner (Ciaee) was a participant who had never even tried Chow before!

Most people who vote here are people who participate in the contest, or watch it regularly, and thus have a vested interest, and most of those (I hope) wouldn't sabotage the system by turning it into a popularity contest - you can hardly blame professionals if their work is good enough to appeal to more people!

In conclusion, obviously you can vote for who you like, for the reasons you like. No one is arguing that. But claiming that these guys don't put any work in is degrading and a little insulting, and since I appreciate their involvement, I would appreciate it if you would restrain the attitude a little bit, it doesn't have a place here.

23. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

(and all you fans can yell at me all you want, it falls on deaf ears, I'm quite immune)

I meant that.

@Daestwen: No problem. I am sorry I fussed up the carpet in your house. I'll clean up my mess and won't come back for awhile.

-Learned Hand

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Why do you think they enter ChoW?
    well obviously for the bountiful financial compensation, why else would they do it when they could be doing other paid work? oh wait...

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nerahla, respect your opinion, but I think you could have worded it a little better. a little harsh with your words there.

I am sure posh, d@n, me and many others agree, that we don't take this as a popularity contest.
    I actually think you see ChOW as a popularity contest... you seem awfully attached to this popularity contest idea..

And not to bust your bubbles but we don't just click a button that creates ChOW entries.. it's the truth!!

Last edited by bumskee; February 17th, 2009 at 12:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm Nerahla, I dont think most of us enter CHOW to win,

Im probably the most poplular guy here and I havent got a vote

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Joey-b For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guys.. Amazing entries.. I obviously didn't hit the spot with mine but my other friends have. Big time.
    Great work everyone.

And btw.. Peace and love.. This is just a fun little contest between friends.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kan Muftić For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really really good stuff gets totally blown over if you guys participate.... because you're popular. *shrug*

At the moment Posh is at 40, D@niel is at 33, and Bumskee is at 61.

Boyo, first time ChoW entry and first time posting on CA, is at 45. Hmmmm.

We're not voting on popularity, we're voting on artwork. Taking the hard work of other artists and boiling it all down to popularity is a terrible attitude and doesn't belong on CA. This isn't DeviantArt, and there's little room for artists to ride on the coattails of popularity.

Saying that D@niel didn't seem to use all of his skills in his entry is fine. That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. However, assuming that he did so because he was lazy and hoped it would be enough is ridiculous. People have work outside of ChoW. Artists have other things to do. Saying that he's just breezing through because you don't think he put in 100% is presumptuous. I think your wording there is what has some of us a little bent.

Lastly, congratulating another artist on making great work is not "pukesuckup". It's understanding the work it takes to get there and giving them some acknowledgment. Saying that any of the artists here vote for an entry because of popularity is insulting to both the voters and the artists.

Since I'm just saying all of this out of fandom anyways, please excuse me so I can get back to humping Bumskee's leg. Ohsogooooood.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    but I don't ignore the people who are good. I'm not voting for the people that do the same sort of thing /every single time/ and win hand-over-fist because of a popularity game.

You simply didn't /need/ my vote, because there are people that are gonna vote for you every time, because you /are/ good. I'm simply stating that 90% of the time, your guy's work looks... the same. Like you're massaging that same bag of tricks and sorry but it seems like sailing to me.

It's not like I've just looked at the past two CHOWs and figured this out. I've been checking out CHOW for years now... it's just my observation. Really really good stuff gets totally blown over if you guys participate.... because you're popular. *shrug*

I'm not saying you don't deserve the votes at all! I'm saying that you don't need mine, so I put mine elsewhere.
    It's /apparent/ you need some attention, so I'll go against my initial impulse and feed your troll hole. Also, I hope you don't mind that I made fun of your unique accent system. That was admittedly rude of me, but it felt good to type.

When you say this:

Quote Originally Posted by Nerahla
    I'm simply stating that 90% of the time, your guy's work looks... the same. Like you're massaging that same bag of tricks and sorry but it seems like sailing to me.
    Do you mean that you'd prefer them to paint in a way completely uncharacteristic of them? Like, instead of utilizing the technique they've built up over years of work, they abandon them and paint with bacon grease and caterpillar shit? That would be completely new bag of tricks!

What I'm saying is, why would any of these artists want to paint any other way than what comes naturally to them? These contests are about technique, they are about execution, they are about ideas. At the risk of sounding like I've slept with both Min and Aly (and yes, I have in the most uncomfortable of ways) it's obvious to most of us casual bystanders that they simply don't come up short on those three requirements.

I understand your need to "go against the grain" and withhold your very much sought after votes from the artists who probably deserve them. It just makes you look like an idiot, that's all.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strych9ine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oooh pretty entries!

Votes go to:

Faxtar, D@niel, Venger, Tommoy, Ionic and Bumskee

Unfortunately, can't crit this round either, gotta study.

Sketchbook .... Blog .... DevArt .... Tumblr

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Uhm I think it's pretty clear that most of us do not really agree with Nerahla, can we just let it rest and get on with commenting and critiquing? Much more useful I think.

Mind you, if I always had this amount of quality in the IDW rounds, I'd be rather happy Having a few big cannons doing them continously makes the competition level up so much faster!

Last edited by yoitisi; February 17th, 2009 at 12:52 PM.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 604 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A lovely first for me seeing all the surrounding pieces - in the end I voted for Boyo, Chupacabra, fersteger, and last but not least Bumskee (tasty)

just below that cut, but quite tasty either way - Adam HP, D@niel, Tommoy, ionic, Poshspice & deadred.

fersteger
    I had to abandon it early - but the brown things was going to be rendered as bowels and things ~ in general it suffered from it, but yes - they also left a foul taste to me ~ and thanks!

Nerahla - Pity voting is annoying, & I'd should probably be happy that I didn't get your vote ~

~ time to try to make the next one before Friday

SB. p31 updated 25.04.2012.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn! Sweet round everyone. I wish I was faster with my own entry but oh dear. Better luck next time.

My votes. 5 in total.

Adam Schumpert - Witch: [check] Mortar with pestle: [check] House on chicken legs: [check] Children running scared: [check] Good job!

Ian LIanas - Yours is probably the only one showing Baba about to devour her catch which I like.

Tommoy - Great design and well crafted.

dwinbotp - That design is pure evil. Love it.

anamirela - Love this design as well. The beak-like face is perfect and the blood dripping from the mortar is a nice touch to the black&white.

deadred - This one just creeps me out and I love it, but I didn't vote for it. The rendering on her face and on her boobs is very nice, it's a shame the rest of her didn't recieve as much attention.

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christoffer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was one mighty CHOW.

I voted. A bit about some of who I voted for:

deadred: You took "get in my belly" to a whole new height of "ewwww". I love it.

Bumskee: Yours is now on my desktop.

Posh: Dark but with just the right amount of eery lighting. Always luscious.

Boyo: I can feel the wind in yours. I love where you took this. I must ask, are you a Gris Grimley fan?

Overall, I love watching the development of everyone who continually participates in the CHOWs. And I learn from those who are technically more adept who also participate.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to smugbug For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Because I feel I do have friends and personal favorite's as far as artists, I make myself vote on piece's with out reading the names so I make a pure vote for myself, just a personal thing for me so I don't taint my own vote...
    Voted for: Pixel Tuner, John Bridges, Poshspice and Dreaded. All pieces had merit but these were my choice's,

43. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kelly x For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I almost broke my 4-votes-only rule again.

I voted for:

Boyo- Lively and cartoony, and the colours are beautiful. I just find it great fun to look at.

Fersteger- I knew I'd probably vote for it the minute I saw the first coloured draft. It reminds me of Jim Henson movies. I don't know to find this Baba Yaga scary or whimsical, which is interesting. And I like the subdued, sparse colours.

John Bridges- I like how it looks like a hand-drawn illustration or painting. I also love the wilderness elements. It makes me think of Baba as a somewhat feral human being, wild and close to nature.

Poshspice- To me, this is the image of the quintessential witch. The gypsy feel, the mystery... Potentially ominous figure however clearly still a woman. Beautiful fairy-tale book feeling to the image.

Kudos:

Faxtar-The little outfit lying in the snow and the overall quiet feeling were striking. I had to stick with my boundaries for voting, but bravo on that one.

Wingedchime- I want that robo-chicken!! The image is lovely and I like how your elements frame themselves and don't reach the end of the canvas (hope that makes sense). Initially, I think it didn't strike me as Baba Yaga because she had no mortar. But then again, her house fits the bill, so I think it is a very worthy interpretation of the concept.

Bumskee- Honestly, this is a gorgeous image (I really love the 'flat' background effect). I was just divided between too many potential choices again.

I'll try to critique more people later because I'm running out of break time. I just think it's awesome and helpful when people take the time to go over everyone's work and comment... So I'll try hard to contribute

45. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sekino For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool job all around guys. Its been awhile since I hit this thread up and damn. I've been missing out. This was hell a fun to see everyones stuff develop. Here's me votes:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For starters, I voted for more people but the ones I liked the most were:

Adam Hunter Peck: The level of personality in this design goes far and above the standard fare and boarders on "Miyazaki" quality. There is a dichotomy between her elegant stature and her withered features that adds a huge amount of interest to the character that leaves me wanting to see more.

Bumskee: I am feeling more narrative from your piece than any of the others, and in my mind that makes it superior to all the other entries. The strong interaction and the remarkably focused composition really drives this one home.

Boyo: Screw you coming in here with your fun and unique style. I was going to a cartoony entry but after seeing yours I just felt bad about myself. I'm going to break your fingers when I see you in Dallas.

On the stinky side of things:
    I'm kind of a newbie to the CHoW scene, but I've already gotten a whiff of what Nerahla is complaining about. Though, it's disheartening to see these ideas presented in such a unproductive way. Personally, it seems less like the forerunners are sailing and more like people behind them are just trying to draft in their wake. I would love to see less established artists experiment and innovate more. The votes seem to skew toward the most creative pieces anyways, so it would seem like a potential advantage to ignore popular trends. I'm going to continue to vote for creativity over technique every round. But that is just my preference.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1