Art: My wee lil attempt at Sculpting ----new Were-wolf sculpt ---CRIT PLEASE :)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up My wee lil attempt at Sculpting ----new Were-wolf sculpt ---CRIT PLEASE :)

Last edited by Hari Gopinathan; May 27th, 2009 at 02:58 AM. Reason: cos the fraggin image doesnt show up next to the thread title in the forum-instead there is a brown ugly thumbnail
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HI- I am an architecture student--who likes to dabble in scupture and clay modelling.

The batman sculpt is my first attempt at clay sculpting-- didnt have any tools back then---so all my sculpting has been done purely with my fingers

[ATTACH]Name:  DSCF5015.JPG
Views: 1839
Size:  146.1 KB[/ATTACH]

also the fist is a soap carving.

Name:  DSCF5022.JPG
Views: 2046
Size:  166.0 KB

But i finally went and got myself some modelling clay and made a tool like the one doggy showed me earlier(u can see the pic in his reply below)

and started out on a new sculpt.

Its a werewolf creature.

THough i really dont know how smoothen the sculpt or whether to
    use water or some other fluid to smoothen or soften the clay,
    or how to bake it once i am done,
    or how to do the finer details proprly...

I really need you guys to help me out...

(SCROLL DOWN FOR MORE PICS OF THE WEREWOLF)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Hari Gopinathan; May 16th, 2009 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well Done , You definately have some skills there.
    My biggest piece of advice would be get some tools, it can completely change your sculpts!

Also you might want to tone down the amount of gloss,or maybe use a matt varnish spray,It will give your sculpts a more realistic look.

I'm far from a pro so dont take my word as gospel,just my 2 pence worth

Well done so far,you're off to a good start

Earhole Bongsplat

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there and welcome!
    I agree with Mr Bongsplatinthat you really need tools. Check your local craft store, or make them your self.
    For a lot of help read SmellybugŽs tutorials in this forum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good job on them with no tools! another good place to try is ebay, search for dental tools, or like the others say, cobble them together from household objects

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there Hari and welcome to CA!

From looking at this piece, I think you've done well considering this is your first attempt at sculpting.

And expanding on what DMN Creative said to you, yes, 'finger sculpting' is the first step to take, and some sculptors do actually sculpt with only their fingers without the aid of tools. Some can achieve effects with their fingers alone, mayeb they have long finger nails to make the details! But what everyone else means about using tools is that it really does refine the surface, and the results are neat.

And what sort of clay is it made from?

One of the most important things about sculpting is feeling comfortable with the material you choose to sculpt with. And Plastiline is definitely a good choose to sculpt with for a beginner. But, we all have our preferred choice that we feel most comfortable with as you've probably noticed in this forum, or any others. I've experimented with plenty of different clays over the years and below I want to show you what I think in my own personal opinion what the good points and the bad points are of each material:

Plasticine
    Advantage: Oil based clay that is soft, easy to use, never dries out, detailing possible

Disadvantage: If the temperature of the clay is too warm. it can 'sweat' and the clay can be too soft, making it more difficult to detail coz the clay becomes 'springy'

Tip: Since this is oil based clay, you can heat it up and it'll get softer and you can do the reverse by putting it in the fridge to firm up, or leave it somewhere cool.

Plastiline (Chavant NSP)

Excellent!!!! More or less the same as above, but with more advantage. excellent for detailing, Also, I think one of the best clays to use. It comes in different hardness's and is a much preferred choice to many sculptors. You can also use alcohol to smooth out rough textures and heat of any kind. It is also excellent for people who want to making a mould out of (silicone rubber) the detailing created from a mould is amazing.

Super Sculpey (Polymer Clay)
    Advantage: Excellent!!!! It has similar characteristics of Plastiline and Plasticine in the way it stays soft, excellent for detailing and you can use alcohol to smooth out textures. A personal favourite. When baked, it only shrinks by 2%! Which you won't be able to notice at all.

Disadvantage: It's best to use the stuff as soon as you get it as it can dry out over a long period of time and can become very stiff and brittle. And yes, it is expensive. BUT worth every penny. Not everyone has access to or even owns a kiln, so the good thing about sculpey is that you can just chuck it in your home oven.

Tip: Correct baking times are essential in the success of the sculpt, otherwise you could mess it up. Use alcohol to smooth out textures, and DON'T use heat to soften it up. The more you play and knead it, the softer it becomes.

Air Drying Clay (Daz clay)

Advantage: Does what it says. Nice for quick sculpting like landscapes or nothing too extraordinary.. detailing kind of possible. You can also carve it afterwards if you want.

Disadvantage: It's horrible, springy, rubbery, messy, generally difficult and awkward to use. The outside of the clay can dry too fast leaving the inside moist. You can use water to keep it moist, but then it becomes very slippery to use. It also cracks easily if not all the bloody time.

Tips: Don't even bother mate, it's crap.

Newclay

Advantage: It's simply beautiful to use, easy to sculpt with. Not too hard or soft to use. Very easy on your hands.

Disadvantage: Pah.. after all your efforts using it, it only decides to be one of the weakest clays around. You only have to gently knock it and it bloody well crumbles into powder. However, you can fire it in a kiln I believe. But, I don't get it.. it says very clear that it's an air drying clay and you can also fire it in a kiln. Well, not everyone has access to a bloody kiln!

Tips: If you do decide to use it, make sure you keep it moist by spraying water on it regularly and when you're not using it, spray water on it again and make sure you cover it properly with a plastic bag or something.

Water based clay /Ceramic Clay

Advantage: You can do anything with it, simply put.

Disadvantage: It shrinks at about 20% after it's fired and of course, you need a kiln.

Tips: Make sure you keep it moist by spraying water on it regularly and when you're not using it, spray water on it again and make sure you cover it properly with a plastic bag or something.

But, all of this is up to you to find out and everything I just wrote is my own opinion. Some folks may choose to either agree or disagree with what I think are the good and the bad about each material. But, it's entirely up to you. I mean, hey.. you might even become a master of air drying clay! Coz really, at the end of the day it's you who has to feel comfortable with it.

Sculpting is something I feel is very therapeutic, and enjoyable. So buy a sample pack and play around with it.

And I know it's not sculpey, coz I know you mentioned it in an earlier post!

And as for painting it, I do actually like the colours that you've used, but since it hasn't been polished or given a 'matt' effect with a sponge, the lumpiness can be seen straight away. That isn't a criticism my friend, just something to be aware of the next time you make another sculpt. (You should see my earlier sculpts lol)

Generally speaking though, I definately see potential. And I can definately see you making vast improvements in future sculpts!

So a quick run through of what I can suggest to you is:

1. Experiment with different clays until you're comfortable. (I'm into super sculpey but it isn't perfect.. maybe I'll stretch out a bit more)

2. Buy some tools.. or make your own!

3. Have patience my friend.

4. Enjoy yourself!

5. Show us your progress so that we can all chip in our advice!

Looking forward to seeing more from you,

Kenny!!!!!!

Last edited by dreamsorcerer; February 13th, 2009 at 07:18 AM.
    Check out my scary monster thread!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=109738

Want lotsa sculpture resources? Add some if you want to!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=154013

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dreamsorcerer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guys -I can't thank you enough for having looked at my stuff and given me all this cool info--- I am really encouraged by all your responses

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BONGSPLAT--- I am definitely gonna get my hands on some tools- i know a friend who can get me some tools and i'll see what i can salvage from here at home. thanks fer the tips---

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doggy--- i am defnitly gonna check out that tutorial and like i was tellin bongsplat--- i am gonna get some tools soon...and as soon as i get something done--- i am gonna show you guys..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DMN Creative--- thanks so much fer the good job comment--- have a big smile on my face--- but i know that i have to improve a lot---
    P.S- Loved the Ape Man sculpt-especially the fur details--

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dreamsorcerer--- i am so obliged that you gave me all that detailed info on materials--- think i am gonna try plasticine--its what i can get my hands on fastest--- thanks a lot man oh and i like your 1st dragon the best--- it just amazing how real it looks...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi again!

I just wanted to show you a homemade tool that iŽve been using for ages. Just an old paintbrush with a toothpick taped to one side, and a loop of metal wire taped to the other. Just a quick, cheap and easy way to make one.

Just look at what kind of tool you need for the moment, and youŽll probably find something around the house to use.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Doggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And regarding your question in my thread, just look for the words "user CP" top left, under all the little pictures, there youŽll find all the settings for your profile

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Doggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks Doggy
    i found the edit signature option in the user Cp--- so i've put links to my sketchbook and my clay modelling thread into my signature--- well do check out my sketchbook-- i am gonna be puttin in as much work into it as i can... please do crit.
    oh and i finally understand wat you guys meant when you said i could make my tools at home---i havr to admit i was a bit at sea after hearing that comment--- but now its clear--- a big thanks for showing me your improvised modelling tool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggy View Post
    Hi again!

I just wanted to show you a homemade tool that iŽve been using for ages. Just an old paintbrush with a toothpick taped to one side, and a loop of metal wire taped to the other. Just a quick, cheap and easy way to make one.

Just look at what kind of tool you need for the moment, and youŽll probably find something around the house to use.
    hey thanks so much for this man---i made a tool just like yours for myself and it was pretty useful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile THE NEW SCULPT

here it is guys my werewolf...

its really rough and incomplete

but i want you guys to give me some advice so i can proceed and improve on this....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Hari,
    I like the body of the werewolf, your muscles are looking pretty neat even at this early stage.
    I'm thinking his hips are a little pronounced, but your probably gonna bulk his middle out more.
    Do you have a concept drawing you can share with us?

Put The Kettle On!
    My CA Thread:TM's Cave
    Visit Me:TeaMonsterUK.com
    Contact Me:info@teamonsteruk.com

22. The Following User Says Thank You to TeaMonster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TeaMonster View Post
    Hi Hari,
    I like the body of the werewolf, your muscles are looking pretty neat even at this early stage.
    I'm thinking his hips are a little pronounced, but your probably gonna bulk his middle out more.
    Do you have a concept drawing you can share with us?
    Sure thing. But the thing is i started sculpting with out a proper plan. so i kinda have the image in ma mind. its inspired by stuff i have seen here on concept art.
    But here is a quick sketch of what i am thinking of making--- though since its a Wip. It might change.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    elbow spike and face
    Name:  DSCF7004.JPG
Views: 1111
Size:  30.7 KB Name:  DSCF7006.JPG
Views: 1053
Size:  32.1 KB Name:  DSCF7007.JPG
Views: 1059
Size:  33.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the core form is definately there, It's starting to look alive!
    The anatomy is taking shape and it all looks pretty even.
    I really like your concept, I would keep the spikes but make them smaller like your drawing. Other than that it just needs some nice fine detailing.

ooh and I agree about the waist, but when i saw this I thought straight away it would make a great bust, so maybe thats the way to go??

Great job so far, looking forward to some more updates!

Earhole Bongsplat

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Bongsplat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bongsplat -- thanks man(for the lookin alive comment)--- yeah--- i was thinking of makin it a bust all along... I guess u are right about the spikes--- gotta work on that
    gonna post more updates as soon as possible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Hari,

I just wanted to say that from looking through this thread that you're certainly making some progress. Especially regarding the anatomy.

Keep em comin!

Kenny.

Check out my scary monster thread!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=109738

Want lotsa sculpture resources? Add some if you want to!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=154013

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    (((((((((((((###Dreamsorceror###)))))))))))))---Thank You, thank you, thank you----
    IT means a lot to me --- tht you think i am improving.
    You are AWESOME

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm i want to see this one finished

MY SKETCHBOOK IN BIG LETTERS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=116474
    COMPLETE LIST OF THE FORGOTTEN SKETCHBOOKS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post1992378

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.