John Baizley

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: John Baizley

John Baizley

Hey,

I wanted to share with you this very underground/unknown yet absolutely amazing artist. His name is John Baizley. He hasn't done much work and he doesn't really have much advertisement. I found out about him because he did all of the amazing album covers for the post-metal band Baroness (who I saw open for Opeth last time, I'd recommend them for fans of Mastodon, Isis, Cult of Luna, etc). He's from Savannah Georgia (same place as Baroness) and he works with appears to be inks and watercolors.

His myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/johndyerbaizley

Baroness' myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/yourbaroness

His art:

Jake

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member

Logged in just to thank you. His stuff looks awesome.

Do you Mentler?

Booting up a new sketchbook.

Yeah, he's awesome isn't he? I just realized that I'm going to be seeing Kylesa soon too.

Wow, his work is amazing, I am definately going to find out more about him! Thank you for posting the link and mentioning him here, Jake!

New album cover, wish he had more images online

holy shit! Definately favourited!

Just to let you guys know that this artist John Baizley is actually also the vocalist/guitarist of Baroness, which is why he does all of their artwork. The last image, the blue one Kvick posted, is the album cover art of Baroness' new album due out this October called the 'Blue Record'.

He also has contributed artwork for quite a few other bands as well including Kylesa (Static Factions, already posted), Pig Destroyer, Darkest Hour, Skeletonwitch, Black Tusk amongst others.

I found this site as I was looking up more info on him actually, signed up specially to post this, but being a budding artist myself I may just stick around...

Here's some others of Jon Baizley work;

Last edited by Silent Jay; August 12th, 2009 at 10:57 AM.

I'm totally in love with his art now. XD Thanks for bringing him up.

Oh and welcome Silent Jay. Thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Jay View Post
    Just to let you guys know that this artist John Baizley is actually also the vocalist/guitarist of Baroness, which is why he does all of their artwork. The last image, the blue one Kvick posted, is the album cover art of Baroness' new album due out this October called the 'Blue Record'.

He also has contributed artwork for quite a few other bands as well including Kylesa (Static Factions, already posted), Pig Destroyer, Darkest Hour, Skeletonwitch, Black Tusk amongst others.
    Yep I knew that. I had no idea that Baroness was releasing a new album though, I can't wait to hear that!

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Kobrin View Post
    Yep I knew that. I had no idea that Baroness was releasing a new album though, I can't wait to hear that!
    They have the first couple of tracks (An intro and then one proper song) up on their Myspace player already. It's pretty cool.

Well the man is honestly much more artistically talented than musically IMO hahaha. Their bassist Sunny is the most talented member of Baroness, if I must choose.

I feel fairly silly because when I saw Baroness I didn't know that Baizley was in the band and I gave them my card and said something like "I love your art already but if you ever want a change..."

I'm going to try to get what ever covers he has done on vinyl so I have big prints of them. I wish there was a list or whatever of album covers he has designed somewhere. I guess I could just send him an email I guess. He needs a website.

Hey guys,

Knew this dude for some months now and I LOVE his work.
    I' ve seen Darkest Hour in the end of 2007 and well... three or four months ago I just took a look on all my cd's and saw the amazing artwork again, so I decided to sell my guitar amp (got no band for now) and get a good tablet.

My question is: does anybody know, what this guy does? I mean, how does he do this artwork? watercolors? ink? digital? photoshop? painter?

Sorry I'm new to all this stuff just was the "sometimes but quite good painter" but all I want is to get better, better and better - of course with my equipment and how-to-do-knowledge.

greets from germany,
    Flo

Quote Originally Posted by tasser View Post
    Hey guys,

Knew this dude for some months now and I LOVE his work.
    I' ve seen Darkest Hour in the end of 2007 and well... three or four months ago I just took a look on all my cd's and saw the amazing artwork again, so I decided to sell my guitar amp (got no band for now) and get a good tablet.

My question is: does anybody know, what this guy does? I mean, how does he do this artwork? watercolors? ink? digital? photoshop? painter?

Sorry I'm new to all this stuff just was the "sometimes but quite good painter" but all I want is to get better, better and better - of course with my equipment and how-to-do-knowledge.

greets from germany,
    Flo
    That's the spirit!

Bazley most likely uses pen/ink, watercolor, and screenprinting techniques. None of his art is digital. I've also seen some pencil work from him.

You'll learn quickly but start drawing traditionally. You should use the tablet as an extension of your ideas, not as a crutch.

Gah, and I haven't listened to the new Baroness yet...

Jake

I came across this today. It's an interview with Baizley broken up into couple minute video segments. He seems like a pretty interesting guy. Towards the end he actually talks more about some of the visual art. Nothing technical, but it's cool to hear artists talk about their mental processes, and how they feel/think about their work. I've been a fan of his work and of Baroness since right before the Red Album came out, and it turned me on to an interesting trend. The return of Art Nouveau...but this time in the metal scene. Alot of Doom/Stoner metal bands seem using this kind of style with their art work now.

Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Awesome man, thanks! I'm actually going to see Baroness in a couple of months and I hope to get the chance to talk with him. I met him before but... I didn't know he did all of their art hahahaha... It's quite embarrassing the think back on now.

Yep, definitely Art Nouveau with a major Mucha influance... very cool stuff!

"Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it." - Salvador Dali

My ugly

Quote Originally Posted by tasser View Post
    Hey guys,
    greets from germany,
    Flo

From his interview:
    What medium do you use to create your art?
    I'll use a computer for layout, but the album covers are rendered by hand and colored by hand. If you ever get a chance to see any of the originals, they're messy and there's a human touch all over them. There's no post-production or editing done on them. I don't even really know how to use a computer to color artwork. It's sort of a foreign concept to me. I'm sure I could learn, but I like spending over-indulgent amounts of time making the stuff. I'll spend hundreds of hours on album artwork where I think somebody could achieve a similar or better effect with a computer in a number of minutes. I'm just very process-oriented; I need to spend a lot of time on things because it makes things more precious to me. It allows me to put a bit more of myself into it.
    http://blog.rhapsody.com/2009/03/joh...um-artist.html

I love John Baizley's art and music. I'd recommend Baroness's Red Album to anyone who likes any kind of heavy music.

Here's one of my favorites from Baizley, for Torche's EP In Return
    (Incidentally, Torche are also an awesome band)

Another musician with mad drawing skills is Conrad Keely from ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead.
    Here's his site.
    http://www.conradkeely.com/

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.