question about color

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy question about color

hey guys since I'm in the the photoshop thread would like to ask for the color code of the flesh..(uhm not to get a pity party here but I'm a color blinded person and everytime i try to pick a color for the skin I always end up using a green color..)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well there isn't really a correct Skintone, because of variations in ethnicity.

If you're having problems picking the right colors, my advice to use the Swatch Palette instead. When you load the Swatches, change the view of swatches to either Large List or Small list. Photoshop names the colors of the swatches so you'll probably get an idea of if you're picking Red or Green by the name.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the color of skin is

1. the local color (anything from orange to pinky-orange for white skin)
    2. modified by the color of the main light source (usually yellow- orange or blue)
    3. then modified for changes under the skin( cheeks are redder because of all the capillaries there)
    4. modified for reflected light.

if this seems complicated its because it is and will take you much practice to understand. try studying some photos really hard and see if you can see the things ive pointed out.

i dont know what its like to be color blind but i think (i could be wrong though) that using the color picker in ps should help you overcome this, since hue is separate from value and saturation, all you need is for some one to point out the positions of the colors and then remember where they fall on the hue bar on the right of the picking square. then by ignoring that your brain tells you that green and red look the same you just pick the hue based on what you know to be fact. well in theory it should work but i can´t test it myself
    best of luck with this anyway.

Last edited by rattsang; February 13th, 2009 at 05:41 AM.
    its time to knuckle down and really lick boot!
    LOOK MOMMY! I laid a sketchbook!
    My Blog

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rattsang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thanks!

thanks rattsang and Arshes Nei both suggestions have been helpful especially the color picker and and light source but then again maybe i should go to the doctor LOL man this color is a tough nut to crack well for me at least..okay thanks again guys!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ^
    |
    Another partially colourblind dude throwing in their 2p worth.

I'd say paint in greyscale first, then colour it.

This separates the problems of drawing, composition and form from those of colour. Divide and conquer. This was the technique used for a great many old master paintings until a few hundred years ago, it can also be handy today for those of us who see the world in Wonkyvision(tm)

This way , even if your colour choices get a little..unconventional, you should still have a painting that reads as solid.

Also, as the other guys said, there really is no such thing as "skintone", certainly not in an RGB numbers sense, too many variables.

Last edited by Flake; February 13th, 2009 at 12:41 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks! for the paint in greyscale thing..I think it helped me a lot.i remember taking a test to see if I'm color blind and i had to look at colored dots which formed a number and i couldn't see the numbers because i couldn't see the colors that formed them..maybe this stuff also happens when I'm painting maybe there are colors that i can't see and the end result looks dirty to other peoples vision..oh well I think this reply should be on another thread..sorry about this.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.