Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Cow C.O.W. #133: Giant Canopy Grazer

C.O.W. #133: Giant Canopy Grazer

For more infos and details about the rules go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=110879

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Round #133

Topic:
    Giant Canopy Grazer

Deadline:
    Friday, 20 February 2009

note: The deadline won't be EXACTLY after a week...it can last up to 24 hours more, i am human and have to work also, you know
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to post

In this thread you can post all wips, questions, comments etc
    However if you are done with your entry, post the final image in the following thread.

THREAD FOR FINAL ENTRIES

READ THE INFO IN THE 1ST POST OF THE FINALS THREAD TO SEE HOW TO POST YOUR FINAL IMAGE!!!

Name:  cow_icon_thumbnail.gif
Views: 13631
Size:  3.1 KB

Last edited by yoitisi; February 12th, 2009 at 07:27 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ADDITIONAL INFO

1. It's feet do not touch the ground!

2. No individual/character!!! Make a concept of a species!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds fun! Going to try coming up with something, if chow doesn't take up all my time.

Some see the glass half full. Others see it half empty. I just try to see the glass!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sounds interesting, no more additional info yoitisi? Might join when work time allows

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, missed the last one (to my dismay), Definitely have to get in on this!

it occurs to me that both my emotions and reactions are ill-placed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is only one thing.... the 18 february is a wednesday.. so is it for wednesday 18 or friday 20 ? Exept that i'll try too finish this on in time for next week !

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Green-eyed demon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I'll really take my time with this one, I'm doing some thumbnails now. Try and get a good composition.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FAST ART: Although doing your name justice might seem like something to be proud of, posting this early usually means you did not put a lot of work in either thinking the concept out or rendering it. Right now, I'm leaning towards rejecting your piece from poll for being off-topic. There's three words in the topic, and although there's something to say about it being a giant, your interpretation of 'grazer' is rather vague and I totally miss the 'canopy' part here. Since there's enough time left, I suggest you work it out a little better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Little sketch of the giant canopy grazer. Not related to the aerial cephalopods though.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    If it is worth doing, it is worth doing well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love it when people start with those sorts of Rorschach thumbs, Nexus. That's great process stuff. Looking forward to the final.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, I already have a creature that's kind of like that.. but maybe I could make a different related species.. one that is for trees, not for grasslands. Could be interesting. We'll see if I have time for this besides my assignments >_<

My DeviantArt Page | Help me improve!! My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool LacrymØsa - Giant Canopy Grazer

--UPDATE--
    Just layed down some quick colours, bit of a play with what im trying to get...i figure more natural colours will aid the creature in camouflage.
    -----------
    Just something I quickly drew up on break at work. I call it a Canopy Worm; grazes..and so forth. It has spit glands on the front of its face to 'shoot' away and defend its face from birds and things in the tree tops. The spikes at the ends of it tail help ground it to the tree as well as defend it from the floor dwelling creatures.

Last edited by LacrymØsa; February 18th, 2009 at 06:41 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 695 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Are we limited to grazing on land, or can I draw some huge underwater creature grazing canopies of algee forests?

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    can the creature graze on what lies on the ground? -without it´s feet touching the ground ?

Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, it’s a very cheesy response but it’s true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -Bjørn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i hope not to be rude...but a canopy is a canopy. it aint on the ground.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DefiledVisions: As long as you come up with a viable and clear interpretation for 'canopy', I'm fine with it. However, it is up to you to convey this in your image (don't rely on the text for conveying your interpretation of 'canopy', it won't work).

Hive Mind: I have to agree with LacrymOsa here, it's grazing the canopy, not the ground. Go ahead if you want, but I might leave it out of the poll if it's off topic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know what a canopy is, but I guess I was over interpreting the topic

Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, it’s a very cheesy response but it’s true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -Bjørn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a couple of WIPs. The idea is that he lives in some giant trees with huge limbs that he swings around on. Sort of gorilla-like, maybe King Kong like, since it's supposed to be "giant." This species is definitely giant for their family.

Name:  canopy_bugu001.jpg
Views: 12450
Size:  135.6 KB Name:  canopy_bugu2.jpg
Views: 12498
Size:  255.2 KB

Y'all think he should have a long tail or a short tail? I'm probably going to make his head smaller and give him some sort of mane.

And for some crits:
    Nexus, your creature is looking very human/demon-like in his upper body. I wouldn't peg him for a grazer, he looks more like a predator to me, especially with those forward-facing eyes well shielded from the sun by large eyebrows. Not to mention the huge fangs.
    Lacrymosa, interesting concept, plus it doesn't have legs to touch the ground... how does it get to another tree if the one it's on dies? Or does it die with the tree? Or does he live in the forests where the trees are so densely packed all he has to do is slither? I'm imagining some kind of really gross wormy texture for him, with all that white color there. Could be really cool =)
    Trog, I laughed when I saw that bulbous cartoony shape sitting on top of the tree, just eating the entire thing and the tree is about to fall over. "Nom nom nom!" Good start, though it's really hard to tell any details about the creature at this point. Keep working on it! I'm also wondering how it would not fall off the tree.

Last edited by meganite; February 16th, 2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: adding crits
    My DeviantArt Page | Help me improve!! My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, I'd just like to clarify something really quick, so I can start going through my thumbnails- its called a 'Giant Canopy Feeder'. So, is it an herbivore that feeds off the canopy itself, or is the canopy the environment in which it feeds, and it eats other organisms that live in the canopy? Just curious as to how much freedom we have with interpretation...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sperling: "Giant Canopy Grazer." So my assumption is, more than likely, this would mean herbivore. and anybody else interested, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grazer .

Here's my sketch. I think I'm going to stick with this concept, although I'm somewhat concerned it's a bit to "slothy." Going to try to make it more unique in the painting stage.

Some see the glass half full. Others see it half empty. I just try to see the glass!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sperling: What darkly said, the topic is 'grazer'. If you come up with a viable interpretation for that you're okay, but mostly it means herbivor yes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's an initial sketch of my grazer, it's a snake monkey, it needs constant sunlight to keep itself alive, it can hide once in awhile under shadows but definitely would be fatal for it to be underneath the giant canopies, hence it won't land on the ground for these reasons. c&c are welcome, great looking stuff so far from everyone

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by darkly View Post
    sperling: "Giant Canopy Grazer." So my assumption is, more than likely, this would mean herbivore. and anybody else interested, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grazer .

Here's my sketch. I think I'm going to stick with this concept, although I'm somewhat concerned it's a bit to "slothy." Going to try to make it more unique in the painting stage.

I'm liking this. But(hopefully not speaking out of place)..before you start laying down colour, I would fix his leg - the one on our left. It looks small and shrivelled compared to his other one. It should be slightly larger I think to match the perspective/or to keep in line with the theme, "shrivel" the other leg, because he probably doesnt have much need for his legs when he never sets foot on the ground. Looks like all his strength is in those arms anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LacrymØsa: Yeah thanks, it does look a little funny. Hate to say it, but perspective (exaggerated, or not) is something that can give me trouble.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    darkly that's aswesome, love it!!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Wiggers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Darkly: It still is a cool creature design

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yoitisi: sorry for my too fast and euphoric reaction of this all. u were right i don´t really think about the concept and just began to painting around like a madman. i will do a new concept. i hope you excuse me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FAST ART: Hehe as long as it's born out of enthusiasm that's okay There should be plenty of time to come up with an improved concept.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres my early sketch of my creature

c&c are welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is there any sort of e-mail alert for when new COWs are posted? i can't seem to get with the pace here with all the activities and im always 3 days before deadline just getting to read what the new one is, never getting to finish one.
    better memory..faster hands.. its like i can't have either ever.

"Steering perception? i am.
    Inviting contradiction? i am."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.