artist business card

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following

artist business card

I am in the process of designing my artist business card. I am wondering whether fellow artists could show theirs off so that I can gain an understanding of how I could promote myself.

The question is do I go the default 30mm x 20mm, info and graphic design, or something more artistic, but harder to print in large quantity.

By seeing other peoples designs I can begin to understand my own personal style.

Thanks,

Andrew johnson

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    30mm x 20mm?! That's a very tiny card O_o
    Do you mean 50mm x 90mm? That's the size of standard business cards in my country and the size mine was (created it for uni). Just look up business cards on line, you'll get a decent idea in time. That's what I did anyway. Use something that speaks of you, an image, colours, pattern, whatever. Include basic essential contact info and keep it simple and readable. Easy peasy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    30mm x 20mm, that is really small

I haven't got a business card myself, but have designed a few, and I usually go for something really simple, because most jobs want to come of as professional and proper, so wild designs don't fit.

It is down to personal preference though, what are you trying to say, as an artist it can be good to experiment with paper or shape/folds? There are bound to be alot of cool ideas out there if you look around a bit.

For size, I believe A8 (52x74mm) is standard, atleast it's what I use.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My card that i use has a rose i drew in the background with my name (nickname only), email, and other ways to reach me with a general outline of what i do.

Mainy it is for people at the clubs to reach me bt every now and then it gets me a small thing.

Mystress of shadows "Always Tease Never Please"

Art is like a butterfly, Beautiful and free but it is also like a scorpion poisonous and nasty to those who dont know how to handle it.

EveningKiss Labrynth Sketchbook

EveningKiss myspace

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry about the measurement mix up, very small indeed! I have done tons of research. In fact I probably could make one easy, but I want to see some of your cards in order to see others approach to this (layout, colours, font and size, image decision and placement).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,891 Times in 428 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I just got a new one! It looks like this:
    artist business card

I have a bunch of different versions of this, depending on what I'm using it for. I use it for stickers to send with my stuff just as it is now, or i shrink it and add some info. Mine arent really standard size either, theyre more closer to a square. I just like the way they look.
    I wanted mine to be fun and bright so it reflects my work, so whatever it is it should reflect your work well.

Also, I got a business card once from an artist that had his info on the front, and then a small piece of artwork on the back. I really liked that but it might be tougher to make a doublesided business card.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    printing a standard size is cheaper (3.5" x 2"), if you make odd sizes and a printer has to make a die to cut your cards, costs can go up ALOT, so be careful - maybe go talk to a printer and get quotes before you design yourself into a corner.

Also, K.I.S.S. - your card should be PROFESSIONAL and serve a PURPOSE, which is to identify you and how you can be contacted. Don't bog it down in alot of other nonsense. Your portfolio is for making artistic statements, this is for contact. Color is fine (it will make you more eyecatching), even including some of your images can be okay, but don't go overboard - if this is all someone has to go on to identify you, what will it say about you?

Also, stick to clearly legible fonts in clearly legible colors - if someone has to struggle to read your card, it has failed its purpose. That is why going too small (2 x 3 cm) will shoot you in the foot - how big can you make type on that? If I was an AD and someone handed me a card I couldn't read, I would be irritated, and I would probably toss it out. Maybe you can make it work, but I doubt it.

Keep it simple.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JessiBean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    I've been messing with something. The idea is to show off my fine art portraiture. Any advice would be cool. (the actual size is 2" by 3.5")

artist business card

If anything the email address is hard to see.

This is a revised version:

artist business card

Last edited by Rist; February 10th, 2009 at 11:10 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    to be honest, I think the design is a bit weak. The individual pieces of info look awkward to me being staggered like that. They distract from the image by breaking it up and I don't really see a reason for doing that. My suggestion is to first lose the line "portrait artist", or at the least, attach it under your name so that they sit together as one piece of text with the same style and color font.

I'd then drop the website and email to all connect with the phone number below, and adjust your image placement to get the most out of that face.

The other option is to just present you info in a simple, straight forward manner as you'd find on a standard business card with no distracting elements, placement, or font choices, then print your image full bleed on the reverse.

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Dave, I will check back when I adjust things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you want it to serve as a business card or more like an artist's trading card? I have some cards from artists that are more along the creative side, where the information because less of a priority.

If you want this to be a selling point for getting work, break it down into a simpler design that reads well and will stand out from a stack of other cards.

SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Image on one side, info on back. (whoops, what dave said)

Design advice for the text on the back?

Aligned portrait
    Gill sans
    9pt
    20-40 tracking
    14 leading
    centered
    your name at the top, bolded, 50% grey.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Side 1

artist business card

Side 2

artist business card

The only real problem is getting a way to double side print.

I'm not liking the layout of the info on the bottom one. I will play around with it some more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rist View Post

I'm not liking the layout of the info on the bottom one. I will play around with it some more.
    Any print shop worth their toner can do it. And see my advice above. Aligning it all portrait would be easier to fit the text in there.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you mean like the first example?
    No, one side image, one side info. Like the recent example but have it aligned portrait (high, not wide) and punch in the text info I advised above. Just a suggestion though, if it's not to your liking you can do whatever Quick example:

Name:  Untitled-2.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  50.9 KB

Last edited by Jason Rainville; February 10th, 2009 at 12:05 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    lol this is what i thought you meant (minus the font change):

artist business card

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Rist - is that image the best example of your work? It seems a little dark and obscure, and I'm not sure it represents "Illustrator" the way, say, Jason's card does. Nor does it say "graphic designer" in the overall look, even though you label yourself as one on the back. And before you had yourself listed as a portrait artist. All of these are very different things. Really consider what you are saying here, are these the kinds of jobs you are going for? What kind of jobs ARE you going for? Who are you competing with for these jobs, and how does this card represent your illustrative and graphic design prowess while distinguishing you from them?

And if you ARE going for design work, keep it clean! A sans serif font looks sleeker and cleaner and may make the back of your card feel less cluttered than it does now.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    I know what you are saying. I do fine art, illustration and graphic design. But for now the only worth while things to show in my portfolio are the portraits which come under fine art. So I think for now I will design a fine art business card. I will probably make a separate business card for each area at some point.

As for the painting, the painting is perfect for showing off my style.

artist business card

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    www.overnightprints.com

Hasn't failed me yet. The card stock they use is good quality, and I haven't noticed any color loss between the pdf I send them and the final cards that wasn't my fault in the first place. Also, coupon codes for discounts on their stuff are readily available online.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    it isn't unheard of to have a business card that doesn't have art on it. I don't think it's necessary, i think what is though is that you have a website listed on it, and a place to write on the back of it.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    it isn't unheard of to have a business card that doesn't have art on it. I don't think it's necessary, i think what is though is that you have a website listed on it, and a place to write on the back of it.
    never underestimate how lazy people can be. If I met you at a party and you handed me your card and said "I'm an artist, check my website", there's about 0% chance of me actually doing it *unless* there's an image on the card which gets my interest. And I know I'm far from the laziest person out there...

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

25. The Following User Says Thank You to DavePalumbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 681 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I go through Vista print.

They're pretty good. Used them for years.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://fashionphotographyblog.com/20...rds-a-contest/

found this when I was browsing about earlier, obv not pocket friendly but a good idea for artists me thinks

stick a few in the back of your sketchbook that you take places

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude your text and your image are not gelling right now. Use your image to inform the design of your card and the choice of your typeface. The two should complement each other. Jason's suggestion (Gill Sans) is good, but I don't think it fits with your image there. Gill is friendly, uncomplicated, and very human.

Personally I am more inclined to follow up on a well designed card than a pretty picture, because it shows that whoever made it understands the format, knows what he is doing and can think about something visually (as opposed to just making pretty pictures). If the shape of your business card is rectangular - as most are - the design needs to deal with this.

Don't know what your mission is, but you also need to consider your audience: it's no use making something bland that everyone can understand if you're really intending to impress art directors.

hope this helps

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When did business cards change from just having your name to "representation of your work" bull?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol this is what i thought you meant (minus the font change):

artist business card
    artist business card

Oh please, he asked for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem'ennuie

Oh please, he asked for it.
    WTF....?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think i prefered the first one you did. i don't think the half-and-half approach works as well. I got mine with double sided colour, it cost a bit more but looks really nice. i think the main thing a card should do is remind people who you are/ what art you do and then have very clear contact info. so at the minute the elements of yours are good it just the design that needs tweaking. although from looking at your thread in finally finished there were portraits in there that i prefered over this one.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Jem'ennuie: That's just insulting.

--

Thanks everyone else for your help. Here is an updated version and also a different take on it:

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Rist; February 11th, 2009 at 08:54 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1