Do I belong here?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon Do I belong here?

Silly question i know. I ask myself that question alot when i am on this website. I love art. I love to draw and paint. I get commissioned to do stuff every now and again - mainly tattoo designs.
    BUT i always end up asking - do i belong here? Am i even GOOD at what i do? I draw alot when i have nothing to do - when work is finished, dinner is done and roomate is in bed. I know my stuff isnt HORRIBLE but compaired to 99.9% of the people on here, my stuff belongs in the trash. I just feel like I am not in you're guys' league. Am i wrong?

Mystress of shadows "Always Tease Never Please"

Art is like a butterfly, Beautiful and free but it is also like a scorpion poisonous and nasty to those who dont know how to handle it.

EveningKiss Labrynth Sketchbook

EveningKiss myspace
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Depends on if you are going to make a living out of it. If you plan to I would learn more than one skill.

I have learned more than one skill besides art, not because I "suck", but because our school teaches us two things, if for whatever reason we want to do something else, we can.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    never could afford to take any formal art lessions. Just totorials online, books and LOTS and LOTS of referances.

Art is like a butterfly, Beautiful and free but it is also like a scorpion poisonous and nasty to those who dont know how to handle it.

EveningKiss myspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well if you're not dependent on it financially then I wouldn't worry. Your work is far from bad, it's good, most people would be envious of you. Your bears are cute.

Why do you use so many grays though, it makes your work look duller than it should be. Throw in a black and some heavy forms and shades in there.

Anyway, hug, your works is nice. I haven't even posted anything, if anything I suck^^ nod nod.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Gray is MAINLY because when i am out sketching all i have are 2B Pencils. I have the full pencil sets (2F - 9B) but i dont take them everywhere with me its usualy j ust my mechanical pencils.

EveningKiss myspace

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The quality of Finally Finished is kept to a high standard because that's what draws people to the site in the first place, but compared to the average level of the Sketchbooks forum your work hardly belongs in the trash. If you love art, and you want to get better, then of course you belong here. Now stop feeling inferior and draw something!

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yup. Get into some life drawing. When I look at your work, that's what I think it needs. Attend classes if you can, but even if you can't, draw objects on tables, a table, a table from a different angle, same thing again, and again, then using a different method. Draw your flatmate.. etc

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ya, and just use another pencil if possible. Btw, everyone sucked at first, every single person who started out couldn't draw. There's not a single person on earth who started out with the ability to draw. You are long past sucking, but it takes time, I just realised what potential countour lines have when you manage their quality. It just takes time, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think the first good sign is that you are actually aware of your skill level.
    This is so much better than a beginner who thinks they're good.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    The quality of Finally Finished is kept to a high standard because that's what draws people to the site in the first place, but compared to the average level of the Sketchbooks forum your work hardly belongs in the trash. If you love art, and you want to get better, then of course you belong here. Now stop feeling inferior and draw something!
    lol you always seem to make me laugh hun. thanks.

EveningKiss myspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PFFFFFFT. If you don't belong here, neither do I. Silly .

This place is about learning. You wanna learn? You belong here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh come on. I ask myself that a lot (and still do). The point of these forums is to learn from those who have more experience and can offer good critique and advice. If anyone tries to tell you you suck, then they're the ones with the problem.

------
    Wait... What were we talking about?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 682 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Do you belong here?

No.

But seriously, We each work at different levels. To compare yourself to another is in and of itself, self-defeating.

When you get the confidence to back up your art, then you'll see the others here for what they are.

Not your betters, but your peers.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You love to do art... you want to get better for yourself right? Then first thing is to forget keeping up with others on this site, use them for inspiration but don't compare. You are at a different point in your drawing than they are, and I guarantee all these fantastic artists on this site were where you are at some point!! They got better because they worked at it...

Also, you don't have to go to school to be a great artist, so don't let that discourage you either! I couldn't afford art school... I've taken 3 art classes outside of High School, (as they all rush in to say "Yeah no kidding". Haha!) when I started drawing there was no public access to the internet so I bought books, and books and books about art and was constantly drawing. All my hard work paid off.... I have been designing Women's Footwear for a living over 12 years now, making a damn good living at it... with no college.

You just gotta keep at it and work hard to get better. The minute you think your are the best you'll ever be, kick yourself in the ass and start drawing some more! Honestly since I really started sharing my stuff with other artists online, getting unbiased opinions over the past year or so I've improved 100%.... you can't get that drawing by yourself at home.... because family and friends will always love your work.

So if getting honest opinions and suggestions on how to improve is what you want, then you definitely belong here!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.