Do NOT post "Email Sent", or post portfolio links
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Do NOT post "Email Sent", or post portfolio links

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Do NOT post "Email Sent", or post portfolio links

UPDATE Feb 24, 2009
    I was originally hoping that just discouraging the posting might help. And it did, and I thank everyone that read this and stopped posting those kinds of posts. A few people even went back and deleted their posts, which was very much appreciated.

I think though that it probably requires a stronger tactic, as the worst offenders just aren't going to read a sticky, or particularly care about their effect on our community. So in the interest of fairness to all, I'm going to start strictly deleting these kinds of posts. Questions about a job are still fair game of course, I'm only interested in getting rid of the "email sent" and "check out my link" type posts.

This will allow each job poster the chance to get seen without getting bumped far down a page by useless clutter. It will allow job searchers to see jobs they may be interested in that might have otherwise been lost among the clutter.

I'd really like to cut down on the "Email Sent" posts as replies to job postings.

While it should be obvious that these types of posts are unnecessary and unprofessional, I'm going to elaborate a bit on why these posts are a nuisance to other forum readers.

- First of all, the ONLY person who cares if you sent an email is the employer. Assuming that he or she checks their email, they probably are quite aware you sent an email. Posting a response telling everyone that you emailed them just makes you look silly.

- Other people reading the job forums are looking for new posts that they haven't seen yet. Getting old threads bumped for no reason gets annoying, and increases the chance that people will miss seeing posts that they would like to see.

- Further, people only want to check an old thread they were interested in when the employer posts new information. No one wants to miss new information because it was lost in a sea of useless "Email Sent" posts.

- Employers often times don't come back to these threads. Many employers are posting on multiple employment forums and may never come back until they want to post a new job. That means those posts aren't doing what ever it is you are hoping they are doing, and instead are just annoying other people. Not the best way to make a good reputation for yourself.

- Just as bad are the "Check out my link!" posts. It reflects extremely poorly on you as an applicant when you can't follow an employer's directions and contact them how they requested.

- If the employer hasn't listed obvious contact information, you can post to ask for the information, send them a private message (click their forum name for that option), or send them an email with the email they signed up to this forum with (again, click their forum name for that option). There are options to exhaust before you think about posting a link to your website.

Last edited by J Wilson; April 16th, 2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Update
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to J Wilson For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I second that. I know it's hard sometimes when you email a possible employer and you don't get a reply, but that's life. Suck it up and apply for another post. It's something you have to deal with as a freelancer.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ryansumo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very true ryansumo. You are actually fortunate if you get a response, as most of the time you just won't. "Email sent" isn't going to change that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see some fresh admin blood in here

just remember: people don't see deleted posts (nor the reason why they were deleted)

WEED TORTURE WIN
    www.hyver.com -()- sketch thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Hyver. CA has one of the best artist communities on the internet. I'm really happy to be able to give something back and to help out.

The "email sent" posts have long been a pet peeve of mine. Hopefully we can clean it up some.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks

Thanks for the useful advice to us newbies on the block.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great post. I've been saying this for years so have other people here and it seems no one listens. Telling an employer you sent them an e-mail is kinda stupid because if they checked their e-mail yes they would see an e-mail from you. No need to nag them about it sometimes you win some other time you don't it's best to move on.

Side note though. Please people at least read the rules here first then the employers posts. Pay attention to what both are saying. I've seen employers say don't post here just e-mail me so what do some people do? The exact opposite...:sighs:

My online galleries

http://www.epilogue.net/cgi/database...l?gallery=4001
    http://ebony-chan.deviantart.com/

---------------------------------------------------
    The past is history, the future is a Mystery and the present is a gift.

-----------------------------------------------------------

There is no such thing as I hope in success either you succeed or fail.
    -----------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think many people do listen, but this forum probably gets hundreds, if not more, hits a day. It's inevitable a few people will not bother to read stickies or even care about following suggestions.

My theory is that most people follow the examples they see. Maybe if we delete the bad examples, in time, there will be fewer posts to need to delete. I'm going to take a shot at breaking the cycle

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wilson View Post
    I think many people do listen, but this forum probably gets hundreds, if not more, hits a day. It's inevitable a few people will not bother to read stickies or even care about following suggestions.

My theory is that most people follow the examples they see. Maybe if we delete the bad examples, in time, there will be fewer posts to need to delete. I'm going to take a shot at breaking the cycle
    Well keep up the great work. if people see good examples then they'll follow it. btw I'm diggin the new av.

My online galleries

http://www.epilogue.net/cgi/database...l?gallery=4001
    http://ebony-chan.deviantart.com/

---------------------------------------------------
    The past is history, the future is a Mystery and the present is a gift.

-----------------------------------------------------------

There is no such thing as I hope in success either you succeed or fail.
    -----------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, it's a detail from one of my Legend of the Five Rings cards. I figured it was time to change things up, I'd used the old one for a year already.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wilson View Post
    Thanks Hyver. CA has one of the best artist communities on the internet. I'm really happy to be able to give something back and to help out.

The "email sent" posts have long been a pet peeve of mine. Hopefully we can clean it up some.
    I saw your mod status and wondered when this happened. I'm really happy to see more admins too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to let you know that your work is very appreciated here, I've already noticed an improvement while I hunt for new projects. Let's hope the standard improves further

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a HUGE problem at the deviantart job forums. Glad to see you guys not only addressed the problem here but found a solution.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I recently made a post to a job ad and while my links were deleted & I can understand why, I don't understand why the rest of my post is deleted. Some employers DO follow the threads. If we can't post anything prevalent towards the job or employer why is a post reply function even enabled in the job ads?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tecraccoon, there are times when discussion on a job post is helpful to everyone. Getting clarification on details, or in the case of part of your post making it publicly known the contact info doesn't seem to be working. Those are certainly fair game.

Where it gets problematic is when job seekers are posting portfolio links, or resume details (like job experience). Those are really only of interest to the employer. To everyone else, that is clutter they have to sift past to get to actual new info. It's about the "signal to noise" ratio. As Elwell mentioned in that other thread, once one person posts their details, we get a TON more people doing the same, and the threads quickly get swamped.

Any employer that would return to see those posts will just as easily see their private messages. If they never return (and many don't- or at least not in any kind of timely manner), we don't need a monster thread that never dies because it's always getting bumped back to the top by people posting portfolio links (and by that, I don't mean just portfolio links, but any non relevant discussion).

I know it seems pretty strict, but it does seem to have made a large difference in how easily both sides, employers and job seekers, can get at each other.

As a general rule, discussion about the job is good, but discussion about yourself as a job seeker is bad. There is a sub forum where artists can leave that sort of info Artists Seeking Work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, I've been gone for the last 5 months or so, but I'm back, and I wanted to express that I would be back to enforcing this.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to J Wilson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I apologize, I just saw this sticky, after i posted a few of them "check this link" type of posts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey J, looks like they're running wild again.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ryansumo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very often these people not only won't read this, they don't contribute in any other way to the forums - they don't have sketchbooks, they don't have friends and they don't seem to care about anyone but themselves - and their portfolios are often awful.

So I've started posting links to this thread in their guestbooks.

I am having a real hard time keeping track of new jobs when people are bumping old (and often already filled) positions.

Here's an example:

op writes "Just contact me via PM and send me your portfolio. I'm very curious to see your portfolio."

Followed by a dozen replies with "pm sent" or "i have pmed you here is my portfolio".

I dropped links to this thread to a dozen people in the small jobs forum and that thread.

Last edited by Izi; February 7th, 2011 at 01:39 AM.
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Izi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just to add my thoughts, these job forums have been and could be a great resource, but right now they need a serious sweep-out. I appreciate it must be tricky getting people who can moderate for long periods, but it's a shame the amount of crap that gets posted, both the dodgy 'jobs' and the countless bumps and replies.

Is there an alternative way of having posters create their jobs ads? Maybe a set form that maintains the set rules, e.g. supplying a contact email etc. If everything was in place like that, then maybe the reply option could be got rid off for job postings. Extreme measure maybe, but it might bring things to a better level.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ooops

Dear Concept art
    I just sent a bunch of replies. that smack of what your talking about.... and then red this thread.

My apologies to all.

I will change up the way I respond.

and again sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused to my fellow artists.

Don Higgins
    Hudson NH
    dkhigginsart@comcast.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry , I have also some "Check out my link" in the thread to jobs that did not have written e-mail. now I know better, no more of that from me
    thanks to all moderators for a good job!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry everyone. I've been MIA for months once again. I'm going to do a sweep through over the next few days and try to bring the forum back under control. Hopefully I can devote time to being a regular here once again.

This forum IS a great resource, but it's so much better when it's tidy and not filled with crap.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to J Wilson For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 46