Do NOT post "Email Sent", or post portfolio links
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Do NOT post "Email Sent", or post portfolio links

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Do NOT post "Email Sent", or post portfolio links

UPDATE Feb 24, 2009
    I was originally hoping that just discouraging the posting might help. And it did, and I thank everyone that read this and stopped posting those kinds of posts. A few people even went back and deleted their posts, which was very much appreciated.

I think though that it probably requires a stronger tactic, as the worst offenders just aren't going to read a sticky, or particularly care about their effect on our community. So in the interest of fairness to all, I'm going to start strictly deleting these kinds of posts. Questions about a job are still fair game of course, I'm only interested in getting rid of the "email sent" and "check out my link" type posts.

This will allow each job poster the chance to get seen without getting bumped far down a page by useless clutter. It will allow job searchers to see jobs they may be interested in that might have otherwise been lost among the clutter.

I'd really like to cut down on the "Email Sent" posts as replies to job postings.

While it should be obvious that these types of posts are unnecessary and unprofessional, I'm going to elaborate a bit on why these posts are a nuisance to other forum readers.

- First of all, the ONLY person who cares if you sent an email is the employer. Assuming that he or she checks their email, they probably are quite aware you sent an email. Posting a response telling everyone that you emailed them just makes you look silly.

- Other people reading the job forums are looking for new posts that they haven't seen yet. Getting old threads bumped for no reason gets annoying, and increases the chance that people will miss seeing posts that they would like to see.

- Further, people only want to check an old thread they were interested in when the employer posts new information. No one wants to miss new information because it was lost in a sea of useless "Email Sent" posts.

- Employers often times don't come back to these threads. Many employers are posting on multiple employment forums and may never come back until they want to post a new job. That means those posts aren't doing what ever it is you are hoping they are doing, and instead are just annoying other people. Not the best way to make a good reputation for yourself.

- Just as bad are the "Check out my link!" posts. It reflects extremely poorly on you as an applicant when you can't follow an employer's directions and contact them how they requested.

- If the employer hasn't listed obvious contact information, you can post to ask for the information, send them a private message (click their forum name for that option), or send them an email with the email they signed up to this forum with (again, click their forum name for that option). There are options to exhaust before you think about posting a link to your website.

Last edited by J Wilson; April 16th, 2009 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Update
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to J Wilson For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...*eeek* I have to admit, I'm guilty of that - but , but I only did it once! sorry...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...Ive done it too, but only because the poster didn't leave any contact info. It is annoying though, and I guess I should have tried the PM route. Thanks for lookin out for us.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No worries guys. A bit of that type of thing is inevitable. It's only extremely annoying when a few people tag every thread that way, making it hard to keep track of actual new information.

Also, I think people see it done a lot and think it's the proper way to handle things. I wanted to make this post to make clear that it isn't, and why it isn't. Hopefully we can reduce it's frequency a great deal, which should make it easier for everyone to get at the information they want.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Email Sent!

to thank you for the post ;)

J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oops sorry, I am new here and posted a few such replies. Sorry ! Shall keep this in mind

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhishrivastava View Post
    Oops sorry, I am new here and posted a few such replies. Sorry ! Shall keep this in mind
    No problem (and welcome! nice to see new people coming by). I realize that not everyone reads the stickies right away, and this approach is a work in progress. I'm grateful for each person who does though. I've been sending out a few private messages as needed, and so far everyone has been great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up lol...

Quote Originally Posted by JL.Alfaro View Post
    Email Sent!

to thank you for the post
    lol! Very good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, I've been gone for the last 5 months or so, but I'm back, and I wanted to express that I would be back to enforcing this.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Wilson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right now I am actively looking for a job and quite surprise because there are still a lot of people did "e-mail sent" or post 3 or more links.....while this thread can't be missed and people don't even have to view it, it's obvious!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well said and informative!

Members who have read this thread: 88