IDW #92: Baba Yaga - An IDW/CHOW cross-over - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice updates guys >

Here's my new idea, quite simple, but much more creepy than the previous one.
    IDW #92: Baba Yaga - An IDW/CHOW cross-over

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is what I got so far and I really feel that I am stuck. Nothing comes out right, but it's still so boring and lacks detail... *grmpf* I'm going to sleep now, we'll see, what I can think of tomorrow...

Some more great designs from you guys, keep going!

Are there any special rules (naming of the files, WIPs, copyright info, frames etc.) like in CHOW, yoitsi?

Name:  SchädelmitBaba.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  203.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tetrodotoxin i really think you have made a great texture/feeling of a boney marbly material. Very nice. i like how the smaller skull dangles from the bone there, and ya gotta love chicken legs--its a nice addition. Are you having trouble coming up with a background or a figure to help with the scale of it? Cos you know, you could always slap a minimal forest background on and ..........THWOMP! a squished kid underneath the big skull....... hehe but thats just me i guess.

....*whispers* squish a kid!!!!

"Steering perception? i am.
    Inviting contradiction? i am."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to riotorange For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wasnt planning to do this but im actualy finding this more interesting than doing actual baba yaga, so heres a quick sketch on this, still need to work out the balance and stuff, also not sure what style painting will suit this, b&w would defently be more creepy, but i do love colour

started on the basic colour, just to get a feel of things, and on how light will roughly fall on certain areas, ill work on the smaller details later

IDW #92: Baba Yaga - An IDW/CHOW cross-overIDW #92: Baba Yaga - An IDW/CHOW cross-over

Last edited by grenogs; February 14th, 2009 at 08:26 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Tetrodotoxin: Nope so far I haven't found it necessary to make tighter rules Just use a bit of common sense I'd say.

Edit: Update on my stuff. The hut is nearing the final stage, although I'm not sure I'll get around to do color on it. Mortar is still a bit vague, I liked the thumbnail of the hourglass-ish shape but it doesn't work well in perspective, so I lean towards the 6-sided one (though it wouldn't make for a practical mortar...). Also sketched a bit on Baba Yaga during a sketchmeet yesterday.

Name:  sketches 2 small.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  367.6 KB Name:  IDW 92 Baba Yaga Hut small 4 flip.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  312.4 KB Name:  sketches small.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  395.0 KB

Last edited by yoitisi; February 14th, 2009 at 10:20 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yoitisi: beautifull, especially I like those eye-windows >

Another update, I am quite satisfied with colors. I need to clean it and will add a detail of front gate with the sculpture.
    IDW #92: Baba Yaga - An IDW/CHOW cross-over

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great looking design yoitisi, defenatly like the whole russian concept you've added, my only question though, is baba yaga able to walk out of her house or is her only way to move by the mortis? and if she does walk out, have you thought of adding some kind of steps for baba yaga to walk down, even if the legs are able to crouch down, i think the house itself would still be a fair hight from the ground.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yoitisi That is really cool! I love how confident your line art and strokes comes off your designs. I also agree with grenogs about adding a creepy stairway or something but whether you add one or not, it looks fantastic as it is.

Small update, totally forgot about the house. any valuable crits would be really helpful because I really suck at painting landscapes and architectural stuff but I'm always ready to learn

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dwinbotp - Love the chicken head. The door seems to be on the edge of the house... don't know how to say it in English... where the two front walls meet. But the door itself is a little too flat for that, I think. It doesn't go around the corner. Maybe you could render that out a little better.

yoitsi - Whoa, great. Why not go with the 6 sided mortar? Does she really use it, or is she just flying around on it?

riotorange - Squishing a kid is a great idea, thanks! Tried to do that in my final version.
    But I'm not sure if it looks a little odd...
    Also added a simple background, but it didn't fit the perspective very well. After tweaking around quite some time, I just darkened it out very much.

Would be nice if I could have some opinions if I should leave the arm and/or the background out... thanks

Name:  Schädelfinal.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  344.7 KB

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tetrodotoxin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking good so far dwinbotp, my only real crit i'm seeing on yours at moment, but its something that cn easily be changed, you have 2 seperate horizon lines in your image, your house is being looked at from below, yet baba yaga is being looked on from a slightly higher perspective. i think if you can redo only the mortar from a lower angle, it should bring the 2 images into 1

tetrodotoxin looking pretty good and with an interesting alternative, are the eyes in the skull hollow? if so, then maybe showing the bone through the other side will give it a more 3d effect. the arm looks ok, but maybe if was holding something may work better.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to grenogs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tetrodotoxin- I like this design and the rendering is pretty good. Maybe make the skin tone on the arm paler?

This is my first idw.
    Name:  idw#92-benu.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  329.2 KB
    And the Chow.
    Name:  chow#147_benu.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  133.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dwinpotp: I know this is kind of late for some reflected red light of of some rafters etc. And to tighten up the feet... but very nice.

I'm out for this round for sure.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixie Trick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh well had to go out of town for the weekend, no chance to finish. so far im 0-2 in the finishing dept. lol

maybe this week will work out better! ha!

"Steering perception? i am.
    Inviting contradiction? i am."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    benu: That's very nice mortar design
    dwinbotp: Wow, your character design really rocks

20. The Following User Says Thank You to siiilon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a quick heads up: this round will close in about 16-20 hours. Make sure you've posted your finals before I close it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tetrodotoxin, Thank for pointing out some problems with the rendering if it confuses you, it's a weird house, a collage of mish moshed houses put together. it's supposed to look as twisted as the one who lives inside it Love the bone design of your mortar, simple and eye-catching.

Pixie Trick You're so right about the reflected light, i tried to add some but i'm just a bit cautious now of overusing the red color. I love high contrast as opposed to some but thanks for the tip, oh and I kinda got lazy with the legs, hahaha

siiilon glad you like the design of the hag, I had fun with the design, the blouse is actually Slavic in design, also the skirt.

grenog I totally missed out on that one, about the inside angle of the mortar, I changed it a bit but work got in the way and I hope it looks better now thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks like im going to have bow out of this one, i left it until last minute, and basicly had no time at all over the weekend
    look luck everyone, some nice images here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the delay, folks! The reason was pretty simple, I tried to pull off both an IDW and a CHOW in a week Anyway, I'll close this round shortly. Poll will be up in a few too.

Edit: Poll is up, you can check it out here: IDW #92: Baba Yaga - Voting

Last edited by yoitisi; February 16th, 2009 at 07:31 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.