Thread: painter classic

Thanks

painter classic

hi, my brother bought a wacom tablet, and got painter classic for free with it.

he didnt want it (he has photoshop) so he gave it to me.

i've played around with it a bit. and i was wondering if theres anyway of having the lineart allways seen. like maybe a new layer or something. i cant find anything like that anywhere. or doesnt painter classic have that option?

is there anyway to get around this?

thanks.
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi,

In full Painter versions you could lift the line work (Canvas) to a Layer and change the Layer's Composite Method to Gel or Multiply to make the white background transparent. Then you'd paint on the Canvas, on a Layer below the line work Layer, or both.

In Painter Classic 2, which is the version I'm guessing you have, the best way to keep the line work on a Layer and still be able to see through the Layer to paint on the Canvas or Layers below the line work Layer is to do the following:

1. Open a new Canvas.

2. In the Art Materials palette's Layers section, click the Create New Layer icon (middle icon at the bottom of the Layers section) and choose New Layer.

3. Paint or draw on the New Layer to create your line work.
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Addendum to previous post:

If you don't need the line work in the final image, another thing you can do is to:

1. Open the line work image.

2. Open a new Canvas the same size as your line work image. This is your working image.

3. With the working image active, in the File menu, choose Clone Source and check the file name of your line work image.

4. With the working image active, click the Tracing Paper icon in the upper right corner of the image window, or use Ctrl/Command+T, to see a 50% opacity view of your line work image, the Clone Source image.

5. Begin painting on the working image Canvas or at the bottom of the Art Materials palette's Layers section, click the Create New Layer icon (middle icon) and choose New Layer, then paint on the Layer.

6. To take a look at your painting without the 50% opacity view of the line work image, click the Tracing Paper icon at the upper right corner of the image window, or use Ctrl/Command+T.
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    hi, thanks for your help.

but i cant find the layers section. i think i have an even older verson than you think!!! maybe painter clasic 1?? :confused:

anyway, i found one way of doing it. using the 'water colour' > 'broad chisel tip' i can paint and it wont cover the line art, no matter how hard or dark i paint. but this is the only tool i can find that does this.

anyway, i'm thinking of upgrading...

1: can i upgrade from my version to 7/8?

2: will it be cheaper to upgrade?

3: what are the recomended specs for mac users for 7/8? (ram, proccesor, harddrive space etc)

4: i'm guessing you can use layers in 7/8, and have the setting so that the original line art always stays there, and the white becomes ransparent?

thanks for any help.
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

Thanks
    Originally posted by cartoonfox
    hi, thanks for your help.

but i cant find the layers section. i think i have an even older verson than you think!!! maybe painter clasic 1?? :confused:
    If you don't have Layers, you have Painter Classic 1.

anyway, i found one way of doing it. using the 'water colour' > 'broad chisel tip' i can paint and it wont cover the line art, no matter how hard or dark i paint. but this is the only tool i can find that does this.
    The only "tools" in Painter are found in the Tools palette.

What you mean is that the Water Color brush category's brush variants are the only brush variants that can be used without disturbing existing color such as your linework.

The reason it works that way is the Painter Classic 1 and Painter 6 and earlier full Painter version Water Colors worked on the invisible Water Color Layer. As long as the invisible Water Color Layer remains wet, it can be used over existing color without disturbing it.

In Painter Classic 2, and full versions Painter 7 and Painter 8, the Water Color technology is entirely different and Water Color brush variants only work on a Water Color Layer which is listed in the Layers list like other Layers are. Consequently, Water Color paint is always, automatically, separated from other existing color.

anyway, i'm thinking of upgrading...

1: can i upgrade from my version to 7/8?
    Last I heard, you are eligible for upgrade pricing. The Painter 8 Upgrade is a complete software package.

2: will it be cheaper to upgrade?
    It's considerably cheaper than buying the software outright. Yes.

3: what are the recomended specs for mac users for 7/8? (ram, proccesor, harddrive space etc)
    You'll find pricing and specifications on the Corel site:

http://www.corel.com

4: i'm guessing you can use layers in 7/8, and have the setting so that the original line art always stays there, and the white becomes ransparent?
    See my messages above.

thanks for any help.
    You're welcome!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    hi, thanks so much for helping out. i really appreciate it.

i downloaded the painter 8 30 day trail, and it wa love at first sight! D

so i'm gonna upgrade to 8 as soon as possible (as the demo doesnt allow exports or save's)

thanks again.
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

Thanks
    hi, just want to check before i buy.

it says that all registrered versions of painter classic can upgrade. but how do i register my painter classic? do i need the cd that came with my brthers tablet?

thanks
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

Thanks
    Hi,

If your brother gave you the software, presumably he gave you the CD since he won't need it because only one person can use it legally.

Whether or not you register Painter Classic, you should have the CD and your brother should not have Painter Classic installed on his system.

I would think you'd need the Painter Classic CD when you call Corel to register Painter Classic just as you'd have it if you bought a Wacom tablet and got Painter Classic with it.

Just think legal and do legal and you'll be OK.

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    yeah, he gave me the cd 'cos he has photoshop.

but i've lost the cd (i always do ) i'm getting my dad to look in the atic for me now.

and i need the serial number. is there any way i can get it? like phoning corel or something? but how would they know what painter version i have?

and if i register painter classic, i can get painter 8 at a discount?

when i looked at the product register page, i could only choose painter classic 2.0, but it says on the painter 8 page that all versions of painter classic can upgrade. i', confused

i think i should just phone them and clear it all up. but any help would be great.

thanks.
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

Thanks
    Hi,

The best help I can offer is to strongly suggest that you get your act together and quit losing CD's.

It can cost you a whole lot, including having to purchase the software at the full price, or not having it at all.

You might try calling Wacom first, before calling Corel, or asking your brother to call them, since they sold him the tablet and probably know how the serial numbers work for Painter Classic. Also, your brother will have proof of purchasing the tablet, unless losing things is genetic.

Seriously, good luck.

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    hi. thanks for the advice.

but it doesnt matter now. i found painter 8 for £64!! its the student version. so i'm gonna get that rather than the upgrade. i ordered it today, it should come on friday.

thanks again for all your help people.
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website