Thread: Where to start?

Thanks

Where to start?

Hi, I'm kinda new here. I have a demo of Painter X from Imagine FX magazine and I would like to know basically where to start using the program. Where to start learning? It just seems faster to work with than photoshop and imo produces better quality images. Any handy tips and tricks would be very greatly appreciated. This feels very daunting.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    rattsang is offline i am destructor bahhhhhhwwwaaaaaaaa!!!!!!
    Thanks
    not to sound rude but read the manual, then if you dont understand something ask a more specifc question- your current question is far to broad.
    its time to knuckle down and really lick boot!
    LOOK MOMMY! I laid a sketchbook!
    My Blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraithwynd View Post
    Hi, I'm kinda new here. I have a demo of Painter X from Imagine FX magazine and I would like to know basically where to start using the program. Where to start learning? It just seems faster to work with than photoshop and imo produces better quality images. Any handy tips and tricks would be very greatly appreciated. This feels very daunting.
    If you got the cash and the time, check out some of Ryan Church's videos. He uses painter for all his work and he even has a video dedicated to the tools and use of Corel Painter.

www.ryanchurch.com

Also check out Jason Chan's "Sketching in Painter" Tutorial at http://dvd.massiveblack.com/

or

http://store.payloadz.com/str-asp-i....nd-detail.html

There are also a few things about painter on youtube - just do a search about digital painting or Painter and or go to painterfactory.com

Like Rattsang said tho, your question is a tad broad if you have a specific question I'll do my best to help, but if your just looking for examples of work check out the videos and resources mentioned.

Thanks
    It just seems faster to work with
    yeah, It looks like.
    Sketchbook is one click away:
    Never forget the Magicman

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    I know there are the Jeremy Sutton videos that come with Registration or Lynda.com has a few about the workspace.

Start off by knowing the basics of the workspace. Look for keyboard shortcuts you may use. This is best found in the manual.

The next is understanding what each brush does, for example: Cover vs buildup? What brushes do that? This is found in the manual pdf. You can also find out about it here: http://www.corel.com/painterstudio/

You also want to learn about brush tracking so that it's easier to paint in your style, info found in the manual.

Once you figure that out, open up a new document, start playing with each brush, and don't worry about painting anything.

Next thing is learning how to customize and reset your brushes, you can find that info in the manual for brush customization.

Find out which brushes you like the most, and you can either drag them into your workspace, or learn to customize a workspace into a way you like it. This is also found in the manual.

If you've read the manual and learned about layers you can start doing a multi layered image, but maybe start trying some simple sketches first, nothing too complex, or color something you've already created.

The more familiar you're with traditional works the more it translated into Painter's methods.

Thanks
    I concur with Artmessiah's suggestion about Ryan Church's Corel Painter videos. The link below is for his Introduction to Painter video that is a very good explanation of how to get started in Painter. I'm new to digital art myself and found this a great visual, hands on, overview of the program.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/rch06.html

Mike
    Last edited by Mike from Toronto; February 9th, 2009 at 11:04 AM.

Thanks
    Rattsang > ( and everyone else ) Sorry if this question was a little broad but thanks so much to all of you for pointing me in the right directions. I am very grateful for the time you took to reply. Cheers

Thanks
    I actually had the same problem, because painter is such a amazing program with so many possibilities it's hard to know where to start, but I figured out that the best way to start was actually well....to start. Open a blank page grad a brush and start doodling, scribbling, smudging, dodging, burning, rubbing (you get the idea) and then try your hand at a concept and before you know it youl find out more and more amazing things about this AMAZING program!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike from Toronto View Post
    I concur with Artmessiah's suggestion about Ryan Church's Corel Painter videos. The link below is for his Introduction to Painter video that is a very good explanation of how to get started in Painter.
    I've had Painter for awhile now, but have felt pretty overwhelmed -- doubly so because I've always been more of a drawer than anything else, and haven't done that for a long time. So I thought I'd give this a shot after seeing it suggested here. (I purchased the downloadable version, which saved about $10)

I agree that it's a pretty good intro for newbies. He gives you a guided tour of the program and then takes you through a quick painting. While it's nice to read the manual or flip through a book or experiment on your own, actually seeing the program put through its paces by a pro was a big help to me.

For example, I recall reading about the rotatable canvas feature somewhere; but seeing its practical applications helped me to understand why it's such a handy feature. It also was invaluable to me to get some brush recommendations, it's challenging to know where to begin.

And beyond describing the main features of the program, he provides plenty of tips and tricks that might not be readily apparent to the beginner. I use opacity all the time in Photoshop, but it probably would have taken me a long time to figure out that turning down your brush opacity can lead to some nice effects.

I'd say it's definitely worth a look if you're feeling intimidated.

Thanks
    search for don seeg miller books if you want pro tips, his books are amazing, he even got a book in pdf form on sale, just seach for him on google.

also i recomend you to learn how to custom panels, adding comands to the panels are time savers. Check on the info topics on painter.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elsevilla View Post
    search for don seeg miller books if you want pro tips, his books are amazing, he even got a book in pdf form on sale, just seach for him on google.

also i recomend you to learn how to custom panels, adding comands to the panels are time savers. Check on the info topics on painter.
    I'm guessing you mean Custom Palettes, not "custom panels".

To find information in Painter's Help Topics, we need to use the correct terminology.

#
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    yeah you are right, at least you understood, hard for me to speak in another language, hope this kid can luv painter as i do to. Thanxs for the correction.
    There are no such things as bad art, just tight deadlines.