Need tips and critique

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Need tips and critique

This is my picture using photoshop.
    I was trying to make it a girl but I couldnt make the boobs and I just noticed i made her hair too short.

anyways I recently just started to draw more and improve my drawings so I need some help please.

Thank you

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rodeworld; February 7th, 2009 at 11:34 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Where are we viewing from that we see the soles of her feet through grass like that?

Quote Originally Posted by MiniGoth View Post
    Where are we viewing from that we see the soles of her feet through grass like that?
    uh. Now that u ask me. I notice it looks weird. I'm not so good at perspective and views, but i wanted the view to be like this:

Worm's eye view .

Unless the character is floating, or standing on something transparent, you wouldn't be able to see the soles of her shoes like that.

You could see the bits that she's not standing on though. Do you own a camera? Might be helpful to take some shots of things looking up from the ground like that.

6. A very nice start. First, when using perspective like that, I would steer clear of the Photoshop grass brush--it's much more believable (if time consuming) to do the strokes one by one, or get a more custom brush. On a similar note, try referencing photos for the sky--particularly the sun. (Examples: 1, 2, 3, 4)

I think you did a nice job with the perspective otherwise, except the legs seem too long to me. It might help you to use a reference like the link Kiera posted (Posemaniacs has hundreds of different poses, and I'm sure you can find one you like at that angle). Try imagining the picture like this: You're a worm sitting next to her shoe and looking up at her. So you would see the shoes head-on and in sharp focus, and as you looked farther and farther up, she would appear smaller and blurrier.

The Complete Guide to Perspective by John Raynes is a good book on perspective. He teaches a lot in basic terms, and then elaborates on accurate perspective and the various nuances of perspective. The book isn't great for drawing figures in perspective though, he just touches on the subject. The other stuff applies though and can help.

My Website / My Sketchbook / My DeviantArt

Garlunk|Human|lvl07|pvp00|E0|Siren's Well
    Tomyris|Mystical|lvl02|pvp00|E0|Killrog's Palace
    PAINT HAMMER! The Art Making RPG!

Quote Originally Posted by razz93 View Post
    A very nice start. First, when using perspective like that, I would steer clear of the Photoshop grass brush--it's much more believable (if time consuming) to do the strokes one by one, or get a more custom brush. On a similar note, try referencing photos for the sky--particularly the sun. (Examples: 1, 2, 3, 4)

I think you did a nice job with the perspective otherwise, except the legs seem too long to me. It might help you to use a reference like the link Kiera posted (Posemaniacs has hundreds of different poses, and I'm sure you can find one you like at that angle). Try imagining the picture like this: You're a worm sitting next to her shoe and looking up at her. So you would see the shoes head-on and in sharp focus, and as you looked farther and farther up, she would appear smaller and blurrier.
    thanks
    I feel dumb making the soles of her shoes xD
    do you know how I can make the sun glow in photoshop?

clouds

I practiced drawing clouds for like an hour but they didn't turn out well :/
    These are the clouds I drew:
    any suggestion on how i can improve?

Your sun is very yellow and right now it looks like a big egg yolk.

Even if the sun gives of a pretty yellow light, if you look right at it it will look almost white, especially towards the middle

In other words... make it brighter.

Also, if i remember correctly, you shouldn't put such attractive objects in corners, so maybe shrink the sun down a little and put the whole of it more within the painting

Also, remember that if the sun is visible in the painting it's going to be behind everything else which will require you to light your scene from the back

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

11. There's no "special" way to make the sun glow... not that I'm aware of, at least. I would use a hard, round brush to make the sun's shape (in white or very, very pale yellow) and then a softer brush for the bit of glow around the edges.

Your clouds are DEFINITELY an improvement, I can tell you worked hard on them. A couple of pointers: clouds sometimes look formless, but many times--especially on a clear day--they'll have definite shape, with a flat bottom and a thick, billowy top almost like whipped cream. The flat area is often the darkest, but it depends on where the sun's light is coming from and how it hits the cloud.

A good example of a flat-bottomed cloud: 1

Other times the cloud is thinner and less defined. This link has tons of pictures of clouds: 2. Keep in mind that clouds are whitest when the weather is nice, and turn gray when the weather is bad or it is about to rain. Big, towering gray clouds form before thunderstorms.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.