Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Morte's SB!

Thanks
    Eyes are staring at me o.o

It might help if you drew out the head first before the eyes, so that you know where they can and can't go.
    And I don't think this has been posted yet, Andrew Loomis' Figure Drawing for All It's Worth. http://www.fineart.sk/index.php?s=0&cat=12
    Check it out, it's well worth the time.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I definately agree with Monkey on the Loomis book, he has a lot of helpful information about drawing the face. It's great that you are studying each part of the face, but you would also benifit if you studied the whole of the face, that way you can learn how to do each part of the face, and the whole face, such as proportions, planes etc. I think this would work well if you wanted to focus on that area.
    Good work Morte, keep on updating

Thanks
    Well? Where's our update?! D8<

Thanks
    1. updatee!
    2. study anatomy
    keep goin!

Thanks
    I'm back! Sorry i've been gone, i actually was dealing with many issues and now im trying to get back into the groove. I finished my first year of art and now im getting ready for the next season of classes i've been sooo busy that i've been becoming lazy, unmotivated and *GAASP* doing the dreadful, putting my ART TO THE SIDE!!!

Gosh, but im back and updates are going to be coming.!

"Although nature commences with reason and ends in experience it is necessary for us to do the opposite, that is to commence with experience and from this to proceed to investigate the reason."

Leonardo Da Vinci

La Super Duper Uber SG!!

Thanks
    Morte! It's good to see that you are back, and that you are ok!
    Don't worry about putting art to the side, sometimes other things just creep up which means we have less time to spend on it. Congrats on finishing your first year of art, too! Good luck with the next year, I'm sure you'll do great!
    I look forward to seeing these updates!

Thanks
    well i'm back again! I just got my appendix removed because it reptured, so now i have time to update all my art on here and show all the work i have done. I'm about to start at SJSU in about 3 weeks, I'm majoring in animation!

So i started to mess with photoshop and have two pieces that i have sketched up.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    "Although nature commences with reason and ends in experience it is necessary for us to do the opposite, that is to commence with experience and from this to proceed to investigate the reason."

Leonardo Da Vinci

La Super Duper Uber SG!!

Thanks
    This is the pre-painted line art of my new concept, its of a girl who was captured at a young age by a group of activists who are trying to bring a new "knowledge" to the wasted earth. All the nations suffered an unexpected nuclear "blow-out" that ruined everything, and now in this post apocalyptic world, the murders have came to the top in nearly all metropolitan areas. In this case, this girl was captured and her parents were killed. She is now a slave dancer, trying to earn her freedom.
    Morte's SB!

Leonardo Da Vinci

La Super Duper Uber SG!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 604 Posts
    Since I won't do an other paint-to-post image tonight I might as well answer
    you here.

Few things comes completely natural to anyone early on - even at something
    as basic as sex it takes awhile to get good at it - same with thinking or being
    creative.

People have aptitudes that vary obviously - but to get free usually requires
    you to collect a certain amount of experience for it to happen - for example if
    your criteria is just random shapes you probably need at least some rendering
    skills, if you freely want to create characters you need anatomy etc.

& you need to practice at drawing from your mind as well - so don't run into
    the hole of only doing life/still-life studies - or rather I would consider free
    improv painting sessions almost as studies in themselves - were you can let
    loose and not care too much about the result as you only see it as a lesson.

Pacing is the same, but generally try to slow down.

I'm horrible at this and thought that a good character was a 1 day deal at
    most - now I'm at 3-5 days per character when I'm at a much higher level
    than I was - so take your time and don't rush - rather I would see
    speedpaints and the like personally as studies or rough sketches for final
    pieces (or foundations).

A friend once spent 6 months on a small series of images of a car - he built
    and rebuilt it - and he felt crazy - 6 months for 3 images? but it was really
    good for his career and portfolio.

& in the end take your time and have fun

SB. p31 updated 25.04.2012.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dan liimatta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    this is very helpful, I have read it a lot/heard it a lot by teachers/professionals/peers/my mom/and etc, that you need to study still life and such, but if you get caught up in it... You'll be engulfed by it and your imagination will get damaged, not permanently but it makes your drawings sooo strict with little exaggeration.

I'm telling you that i've heard it a lot, not to dilute your feedback but to thank you for it, because i always need to hear it. And as for you taking longer than you previously had, really helps me a lot. Because an old teacher use to tell me that i take too long to finish a piece, mostly because i get caught up (i have perfection issues, and make sure each thing i produce is PERFECT.)

So i like hearing that i'm not that only one that spends days sometimes, because i almost beat myself to make me go faster so i can show him that i can work fast.

Another question, when you do your paintings, i've realized that if the amount of pen pressure is too high, it makes the painting look very... bland? Should i decrease the pen pressure so more color is painted down (more like an actual painting) it feels that i'm painting with water color.

So i guess the question would be more simply, how hard do you press to paint, and what is your pen pressure?

Leonardo Da Vinci

La Super Duper Uber SG!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 604 Posts
    Well its standard from the Wacom settings in intous 3 - but I don't use Photoshop much and I can play with the settings in Sai - and there I mostly use the setting that allows for the most range between hard and soft.
    But the brushes differ from each other and sai differs from say Photoshop.

In general I prefer brushes that can paint easily with 10 to a 100% opacity depending on my pressure. (and then I can cut the roof myself and get 1 - 10% if I press 1 etc.

& Time obviously is relative - a ChoW piece I do I should take 3-4 days for - some sketches should be able to be done in less than an hour if you are looking at pro work.
    In general though I'd say that you want to be able to paint things easily and quickly but that you can still take time to experiment and play around - find what's right and then give each element the love you think it deserves.

SB. p31 updated 25.04.2012.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dan liimatta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    quick sketch before i made breakfast, working on my figures and expressiveness, so i did a nice value sketch real quick, GAHH MY STOMACH!!!

So hungry, well ill post some work today! Crits are welcome!

Morte's SB!

Leonardo Da Vinci

La Super Duper Uber SG!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dan liimatta View Post
    Well its standard from the Wacom settings in intous 3 - but I don't use Photoshop much and I can play with the settings in Sai - and there I mostly use the setting that allows for the most range between hard and soft.
    But the brushes differ from each other and sai differs from say Photoshop.

In general I prefer brushes that can paint easily with 10 to a 100% opacity depending on my pressure. (and then I can cut the roof myself and get 1 - 10% if I press 1 etc.

& Time obviously is relative - a ChoW piece I do I should take 3-4 days for - some sketches should be able to be done in less than an hour if you are looking at pro work.
    In general though I'd say that you want to be able to paint things easily and quickly but that you can still take time to experiment and play around - find what's right and then give each element the love you think it deserves.
    Wow i thought you used ps a lot. Sorry, i thought i read it somewhere. Oops! That was helpful, because I was having issues with painting a good skin, and now i understand, you need to block in the skin/color in with pretty much full opacity and then start to shade. I would always start to shade from the beginning and just build up layers, and it seems like it just turns out pasty and very flat, no matter how much contrast.

And ill consider the time thing, i do know that in the industry, that its important to produce fast work, but also to have good work. I guess i'll just have to find my balance, like you said.

Thank you again for helping me out!

Leonardo Da Vinci

La Super Duper Uber SG!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.