Sketchbook: Icecold's sketch book, Why so Serious!? - Page 37
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1477

Thread: Icecold's sketch book, Why so Serious!?

ThomasM is offline Artist in training.... Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wow thats a big move - good luck with it. I love how casual you are about it "I'll just be here for a year or so" - great attitude. Looking forward to more

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really inspiration stuffs here! especially the book cover! really awesome colors

Available for Freelance!
    Portfolio blog:yongs Art blog
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome pencils you got there! And the lighting and coloring in #1073 is really good! Do you start of with grayscale and then color, or just color from scratch?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Everyone, much apreciated.

@Zikes: Well I used to paint black and white and then color everything but for a year or so i'm going color from start, the image has more vivid living colors that way ( ofcourse if you chose to have them like that ) but this one was done the old way. Black and white sketch with couple of overlay/soft light layers. And then painted ontop of that on normal layer mode.

I'll be very very busy, had a break but i'll be back to work soon, so i'll have less time for personal stuff. I'm trying to use my "spare" time as much as i can now.

Focused on skintones this time, and boy oh boy it was tough!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Skin can be pretty complicated. Looking forward to more!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Umbravita For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet update ice! Man i like that male design!
    Will you do it in colour? Even a base tone is fine! I'm really curious how it would turn out.
    The girl's skin came out really nice, you're beginning to have stronger strokes.
    Also, after a bit of painting over grayscale, i have come to the same conclusion, just didn't say it out loud yet.
    I think i'd prefer starting from colours, and do more from life or photo studies to get better in choosing them.

Looking forward to anything you have to upload. I just hope you won't disappear.
    I hope i won't disappear myself actually. lol xD

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cristina Zabava For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice, but why a white background with such light skin tone? you used to kick my butt about it and now you do the same thing yourself... regarding starting in grayscale unless you have perfect value/color balance and skill down it is a good idea to start in grayscale until you can do it really well straight from color, if you have good tone values down color is just a layer which does not matter much, I think its all about practice thats all.

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

"There are no miracles, no tricks or secrets, only hard work. "

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny_K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job on the girl's skin!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexTooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny_K View Post
    nice, but why a white background with such light skin tone? you used to kick my butt about it and now you do the same thing yourself...
    Starting on white is simply not suggested when you are just starting out, i stayed away from white backgrounds for years, but now i'm trying to tackle the subject on whites for two reasons, it's harder to maintaint proper value balance thus making you do better choices in the future, two it looks tidy

There's plenty of succesfull concept art/ studies on white canvas as a backround both traditionally and digitally, remmember what Mullins said, always explore new paths

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess you did a good job then, still I would think the background and skin tone is too light, a little contrast between the two would be great.
    anyway keep pumpin up...

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny_K For This Useful Post:

Mischeviouslittleelf is offline Promoted himself from Auxillery Pencil Infaantrist to Tablet Gunner Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 716 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Lots of goood stuff in here man, keep it up!

-E

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mischeviouslittleelf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You really nailed this last study, the skin-tones look perfect.

In many of your earlier studies, although the colors and values were very good there
    was general lack of 'finish'. Silhouttes sometimes not as firm as they should be, textures
    too rough (in other words, smooth surfaces were not smooth) and everything was sort of
    'out of focus'. This last study is much much tighter, though.

In your work from imagination a couple things could be improved:

1. Value as a description of lighting and of form (distinguish firmly between lit and unlit surfaces).
    2. Volume! If you focus too much on shapes and textures, things end up looking like paper dolls.

In general, a couple things seem to be missing from your work:

1. Design: (or Composition, if you like) What are you trying to *say*, what is the
    total effect, the focal point, the purpose of the image you are creating.

2. Coherence: the pieces of an image coming together and looking like they belong
    together as a whole. Also I guess a matter of having different levels of detail or sharpness,
    rather than a general busy/choppy vagueness. The eye has to have somewhere to rest.

Like I said before, I think your grasp of color, value, and even texture is pretty solid already,
    what I think is probably holding you back is DRAWING. IMO, drawing is the key to Form, which is
    key to work from imagination, so that it has depth and structure, not just shapes and textures

I know you just moved and started a program of study in Warsaw. I don't know if you are working at a
    job, as well, or how many hours that occupies. I try to get a minimum of 2 hours a day drawing, every day.
    Consistency counts, 1 hour a day is better than 2-3 hours a week

It basically means that, with a job, you have no life, but it really adds up to noticeable progress

Stay strong and keep posting, my friend, you have accomplished a lot!

Last edited by BludHund; September 30th, 2011 at 10:23 PM.
    sketchbook...a kitten dies every time you don't comment

“When forced to work within a strict framework,
    the imagination is taxed to its utmost – and will
    produce its richest ideas. Given total freedom,
    the work is likely to sprawl.”

- TS Eliot

Bloooooooog

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BludHund For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blud man, your words are alway precious and welcome here.
    I agree with all that you said, to be honest I did try to figure out whats wrong with my stuff lately, and i can say that you listed almost everything.

I know that i've problems with rendering stuff when it comes to imaginaton,
    too little life studies. I need more knowledge on how light behaves while casting a shadow on certain forms, how different materials behave while they are lit or not lit.

Composition, i guess it's the fault of me having usually absolutely no idea what am I going to paint, I used to start everything with blobs and just find a shape and carry on from there. Recently i'm drawing more and thinking out the problem.

When it comes to drawing, i'm trying recently, atleast an hour a day, i have some sketches, but my scanner is dead and I've no idea whats wrong with it.

So to sum it up, i notice most of my weknesses, i just need some reminders from time to time, so i'm glad that you pointed those out. Sometimes the most obvious fades in time.

Ah well Warsaw, i'll probably come back to my Home in a month.
    Why, you might ask, well my primary goal for about a 2 years is to go to USA, Encinitas CA and study at Watts Atelier of Fine Arts ( i've finally decided traditional skills should come first, so not Concept Design Academy ) for atleast few months. I've calculated everything recently and it seems that it's not worth it to go there for just 1 semester of 10 week study, instead i will go for 2 semesters which is about 6 months. The problem is ( as always ) the money... ! 1 USD has at the moment the 3,30 value of my currency's 1 unit.
    So that means i will have to pay 3,3 times more which sucks, very much.
    I need to gather a big sum of money, the course itself is very affordable, whats most expensive is living ( housing + food ). If anyone from the region of Encinitas/ San Diego is reading this, please tell me if you know any good, not expensive place to stay.

So i'll be going back, and saving half of my monthly salary for the Ateleir purpose. Visa should not be a big problem, so i'm not worried ( yet! haha )
    I'plan to go there in fall/winter semester of 2012, if the world would not end by then that is....

Cheers friends.

Last edited by Icecold; October 1st, 2011 at 06:24 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great comment by BludHund, quantity = creativity = imagination Bludhund is right once you get into a habit of drawing everyday for an hour two you progress get more information into your head so your imagination developes accordingly, I noticed it on myself how easier it is for me to draw armored warriors now and have an interesting variety and designs while doing it, its all because I did some studies of different armors and warriors before, quite simple but very powerful.

About studying in the US... It would cost you a fortune to live and study here and not to mention the flight ticket... instead I would go to a good art school somewhere in Europe, there are tons of good places in Germany and realllyy good art universities in Russia... it will save a lot of money which you can put into art equipment and save up for rent and stuff, something to consider...
    Im living in Bakersfield which is the cheapest place you can live in south California and still be in big city we pay around 700$ rent a month and it is pretty good, we have relatives in San Diego and they pay millions for rent each month they barely making it.
    In a year or so we are moving to Victorville which is about an hour and 20 min from Los angeles and I might take some classes at Gnomon, I can drive there few times a week no problem... so if you might be interested maybe you could consider living in surrounding areas around LA and taking some classes in LA while living some where cheap like Victorville.
    Throwing some ideas to you bro because from experience I know how passionate we as artists can be towards our dreams and goals and sometimes it seems like nothing matters not money not Visas, we can do it. but when reality crashes on you and you look at the big picture it doesnt make sense, happened to me with Vancouver film school I got accepted and even got 10,000 in scholarship but the living costs and total tuition was way to much to afford but I was blind until my wife woke me up.

Anway keep in touch we'll figure something out for ya.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny_K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well one thing i know for sure, i don't want to go to any academy/school with degrees ( Like that Sankt Petersburg's in Russia ), just ateliers. And sure there are some awesome here in europe like:

Atelier Stockholm, Angel Academy, Florence academy both in italy and Sweden.
    LARA in London,

But they cost a FORTUNE! it's still way cheaper in the US... T.T
    Plus Watts teaches dynamic drawing and constructive anatomy, not just how to render stuff out.

MCMC2 Did me a map once with a cheap place to stay in Encinitas but i've lost it due to a disk format, anyway i've decided, States D, States
    I'm sure i'll be able to eventually find something reasonable, and I may consider Concept Design Academy in Pasadena i guess, we will see when the time comes. Thanks for the help, i very much apreciate it.

And just to mention, whou would we be without our dreams? If I never had a dream of becoming an artist i'd be probably in some kind of a shitty job, i'd hate. So hell with reality, living the dream, atleast for now. Just like Jack White sang:"...a seven nation army couldn't hold me back... "

Cheers!

Last edited by Icecold; October 4th, 2011 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really inspirational stuff. keep up the great work!
    P.S I love the "booty luv" piece lol.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Blenz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I sent you a PM

sketchbook...a kitten dies every time you don't comment

“When forced to work within a strict framework,
    the imagination is taxed to its utmost – and will
    produce its richest ideas. Given total freedom,
    the work is likely to sprawl.”

- TS Eliot

Bloooooooog

27. The Following User Says Thank You to BludHund For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm alive!

Blud Man thanks sooo much, I owe you!

Hey it's been a while. I'm buried with work, which keeps me ocupied all the time.
    But i just wanted to let you know everythings fine, well freelance has it's downsides but as long as it pays the bills...

Here's a sketch from tonight, i obviously cannot show the stuff i do at work, atleast not yet, but i'll scan in some older sketches i did in those past days, well there's not alot of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your doing freelance? thats awesome! are you still working for the same game company for smartphone games?

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny_K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work u have here! keep it coming!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to razv23 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny_K View Post
    your doing freelance? thats awesome! are you still working for the same game company for smartphone games?
    Yes i work kinda like Daarken did , freelance for a company. ( EA Mythic in his example )
    Currently i'm doing illustrations for a card game for iPad.
    But when my buddies need help with some project their working on i'm doing quick concept sketches also, and when it's needed the texturing of low poly game models, but that's what i've been doing least right now.
    We're doing some CG for Sam and Max the magic marker for the playstation 3, i've also heard that EA games are willing to cooperate with us!

Thanks for the feedback guys, if everything goes well ( and it seems so far )
    i should save enough money to go and study at Watts atelier in fall/winter 2012.
    Gonna meet with Danny! yay! California- No snow ! No cold weather, double yay!

Last edited by Icecold; October 18th, 2011 at 02:30 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uhm Hello.

I finally have some time to post, it's been a really crazy week i didn't sleep alot.
    Freelance can suck hard if your client "doesn't really know" what he wants.
    Fortunately i got my owns supervisor now which gave me some good feedback and information so things should run smooth now, atleast from the info side.

So here's some sketches i did in those past 2 weeks, not alot of it as you can see. Also on some you can see as my stroke economy and decision making went down, it's a fact don't draw for few days and you'll suck... as rendering in photoshop isn't the same. Ok enough talk here are those sketches:

And here's the stuff from work that got either rejected or simply stopped to be needed -.-'' I'm not really proud of it, but you know deadlines, i guess They are not bad, but could have been better.

Here's a sketch of car that "was wrong"

This car was right, but soon the concept changed they wanted different car...

Task: Do a golden coin! Tada! Well... but not ancient one....-.-''

Actually the first one I did, we changed the style to a more serious one not cartoony, sooo guess what, it's out! wohooo

"This one is cool, but we no longer need it.." Another yay!

I really hope i'll be able to find a decent job in a studio after i'll get back from states, as freelance has more cons, than pro's, but it's not a tragedy, don't think of it like that, it just can be "little annoying".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also found an ooooold sketch, and a wow fanart, that i've started like 3 months ago? Never got finished, but it's still in the personal que, yeah his leg is off proportion atm.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff man, wow I am jealous you get to be busy with freelance jobs!

I really like the noir guy with the gun, very nicely painted

37. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexTooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well it's a freelance but i'm working for only one company.
    And i'm not sure you really ahve what to be jelous about, look those images are ...weak i guess, the noir guy turned out ok, but the rest is rushed. I have to do an illustration every single day, I often work from morning till late night hours. like 9:30 AM to 2:00 Am, to meet the deadline. And i'm so tired of computer and photoshop ....

But it's all to achieve my goal, so i can land a better job, doing some cool stuff, like Magic the Gathering Cards. I even bought a deck recently, it's a very cool game, and you can have a greta time with your friends, atually talking and not using that crap called facebook.

Thanks for comment, man.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Icecold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep that energy and faith in what you're doing buddy, you're great already and with that willpower you'll end up moving mountains of art! (that was a useless comment but it's never bad to keep motivation i guess hehe)

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Feil Magnus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks man.

Finally a personal piece, how much more pleaseant it was to paint this speedpaint, with no stress. An execution scene from imagination, Santo's last prayer.

Last edited by Icecold; October 23rd, 2011 at 06:29 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice job, I can really see the improvement in your works. Latest one looks sweet.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Sycra For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude these are really nice! I especially liked the the guy breaking into the safe and the mobster with the pistol in city scenery.
    Bobby Chiu worked his butt off just like you do right now and look where did it get him? he is AWESOME, just like you will be not very long from now...
    Keep the hard work

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny_K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some really impressive stuff in here man! I like the rendering on the more realistic ones a lot.

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph_Silverman For This Useful Post:

Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 15