Valentine Beasties
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Valentine Beasties

For my Illustration class, we were to make Valentines Day cards. We were first to develop our concept/understanding of what love is. To put it simply, I said you should be able to feel natural/be yourself around anyone you love- and it's not restricted to an intimate basis.

I decided to have an alien or horrid creature coming out of a suit of fake human skin. On the outside it read "I know I'm WEIRD," and below that was one of the illustrations; when you open the card it read "But I feel like I can be myself around you." I'd include the text bits but I haven't got Illustrator on this 'puter.

Anyway, here's the male beastie:

And the female:

The line art for both were sketched on trace paper, scanned, brought into Illustrator and blown up to work on at a larger scale (my teacher suggested starting bigger). They were then printed out on Bristol and colored with colored pencil, then scanned in again. The male went under a bit more photoshopping than the female, because I lost a lot of contrast when altering the levels.

The male's head was originally a Metroid (I just wanted to see what he'd look like) but went for something original for the final. I liked the lower mandibles from the metroid, so I kept those, and referred to a spider for the rest of the head- which was originally from the female.

Any thoughts, comments and crits (ESPECIALLY CRITS) are greatly appreciated.

My Flickr
    OMGSIGLOL
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great concept! I'd buy these in a second
    My only crit would be the colouring on the aliens. Maybe when they blush they do it all over? I would also try to underemphasis the claws and fangs. Other than that really good

And of course, with the birth of the artist came the inevitable afterbirth - the critic.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam Synapse For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.