Results 1 to 5 of 5
February 5th, 2009 #1
Book Review: Fantasy Workshop: Mastering Digital Painting Techniques
Here's my short book review of Fantasy Workshop from ImagineFX that I bought recently.
Fantasy Workshop is a compilation of tutorials that have been published in monthly ImagineFX issues. If you are already a regular subscriber, you'll see very similar tutorials in Fantasy Workshop.
The tutorials are split into three categories, namely characters, scenes & stories and manga. At the end is a short FXpose section, which like the magazine, features illustrations from individual artists.
The tutorials are presented in a step-by-step manner with plenty of screenshots and well explained captions. Each artist will talk about their workflow, tips, techniques and shortcuts to creating digital art. More specifically for example, they will talk about how they create realism through texture, and also why they created it that way.
Since the book is about mastering digital painting, you'll see tons of examples on how to recreate paint effects using software. By examples I mean they will show the digital tools used, menus, and settings. The software used are Painter and Photoshop but the art techniques are usually easily achievable in either software.
There are also a few artists interviews thrown in.
This is a recommended book for anyone into digital painting. There's enough variety featured for everyone to learn a new trick or two. It should be out in bookshops already and also available on Amazon as well.
Here's the list of contents (with links to the artists website):
- Mind's Eye to Digital Canvas - Jehan Choo
- Modern Classical Painting - Marta Dahlig
- Paint Realistic Ears - Katerina Sokolova
- Paint Realistic Lips - Katerina Sokolova
- Digital Hairstyling - John Kearney
- Paint Realistic Hands - Marta Dahlig
- Create a Heroic Valkryie - Lorland Chan
- Drawing and Painting Dragons - James Strehle
- Create 3D Illustrations - Loic Zimmerman
- Painting a Mythical Beast - Joel Carlo
- An Army Summoned - Mike Corriero
- Create a LOTR-Inspired Orc - Jeff Murchie
- Quick Character Design Concept - Francis Tsai
- Painting Creepy Portraits - Mike Mitchell
- Speed Painting a Zombie - Patrick Reilly
- Painting a Nightmare - Cyril Van Der Haegen
- Create a Great Background - Melanie Delon
- 25 Custom Brush Tips - Patrick Reilly
- Dramatic Concept Art - David Levy
- Create a Dark Urban Nightmare - Lee Carter
- Manga Character Illustration - Michael Chomicki
- Create Fantasy Manga - Cris De Lara
- Fiery Dragon Princess - Svetlin Velinov
I've more pictures on my blog and a flipping page video
Last edited by Parka81; February 5th, 2009 at 11:09 PM.Parka Blogs <- Most dangerous blog for artists (and their wallets).
Hide this ad by registering as a member
February 6th, 2009 #2
how much did this set you back?
I SWEAR ON THE GRAVES OF ALL THE TALENTED FILIPINO ARTISTS WHO HAVE GONE BEFORE ME, THE FILIPINO ART LEGACY WILL CONTINUE!
MY DAY JOB http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=136204
MY ANGRY SKETCHBOOKhttp://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...129015&page=13
February 6th, 2009 #3
About 19us equivalent. But I bought it at a local bookshop.
Parka Blogs <- Most dangerous blog for artists (and their wallets).
February 6th, 2009 #4
thanks for that review, I didnt know they had a book out. Im going to pick this up just to have it...i love to see how other artists do things.
"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
February 6th, 2009 #5
definatly getting this, trying to stock up on my art books and even though i already have a subscription to Imaginefx having all these in one place sounds top notch
-Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
-Facebook(always on but never post)-
If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!