Need another set of eyes

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Need another set of eyes

I think I'm mostly done with this, it's going into my senior show that's being held in May. Need another set of eyes because mine are sick off looking at this and my Prof. is no help at all. Mainly I'm just wondering if there are any funky shading areas or if for whatever reason the thing looks unbalanced. It's nearly 24" x18" so not terribly large. I would love to finish this thing today that way I can finally fixative it (so done with wrecking it every time I turn around!)

Thanks a million guys.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the body is a tad too long in my opinion. Also, some parts appear to be in profile, whereas others seem to be in a rear three quaters view... so the perspective/ foreshortening seems incorrect

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pitin : Yeah, everything got a bit stretched when I drew it, but I just kinda let that go (unfortunately). I did base this off a photo that I took, but it's kinda a terrible picture and was heavily photoshopped before I could even use it. (really dumb I know) Can I claim artistic lisence? Or should I claim artistic retardeness combined with laziness? >_<

.....Wow, I never realised how very off that was.... Fudge.

Here's the pic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I usually claim laziness on these things .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd say for the quality reference you had you didn't do badly. But the reference did funky things especially with the feet and lower leg, plus the flare over the face wasn't helping you either. The picture makes the front right leg look unusually thin. I had a point to all that rambling, really, I just meant you could have done better with a better reference. And if you do have this horse available to take pictures next time you might want to go back and just take a couple more so you've got good quality reference.

Aside form that yeah the body is long like pitin said. Also just above the fetlock on the left rear leg, the leg is strangely thin. Looks like it might have been caused by a smudge, but fix that up before spraying it.
    The other thing that jumps out at me is the top line of the face/head. You have an angle(at about where the noseband would sit) in it that makes it look like half the head is in one perspective and half is in another. The bottom line seems okay, but check that roman nose you've got going on there. She looks like she's got a rather straight line to the top of her face in the picture.

Cute horse by the way. She yours? I'm assuming you know horses since you actually drew in the chestnuts properly when they're blurry and hard to see in the picture. Most people don't even know they exist.

"This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy." -Douglas Adams

My Sketchbook

My goal: To get good enough to post in the Finally Finished Forum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pitin : haha, I'll go with that then. Yes.

MyOrangeHat : Terrible cameras make for bad referance pics. Le sigh. I was hoping for another day to go out and take pictures, but everything here is icy and cold. Can't go and round pen a horse in this weather. I think I took about 20 pictures, and they were all terrible; this was the most interesting in position and lighting. I have a class that I am trying to whip these out for (I have another started from a better picture, I think it may have the same problems as this one. I'll have to go fix those..)
    I never even noticed the thin legs. I think their blurry in the photo and I just kind of ignored it. Darn lense flare, I think you're right about the straighter nose. She's not my mare, I just exercise her once a week for the owners, so I never would have realised that. (I have a mare, I'm just nervous about draing here. Kinda afraid I won't do a good job)

Thanks so much! I'll go see what I can do then post an updated picture. Gimme 30 minutes. Lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Things that stand out to me as off are the position of the head, as others have mentioned the body is too long, and the size of the tail is too big for me. It's the first thing I look at and I don't think you wanted it that way.

Everything else is done really nice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MyOrangeHat : I fixed the profile and the leg, but I don't think there is much I can to for the body short of starting over again. (Something I'd really rather not do...)

aguilas990 : What exactly do you mean by the head position? And I noticed your comment about the tail as I was working on it, so I tried reducing the size a bit. I think it may need a bit more. Maybe I have more values in the tail and that is why the eye gets drawn there?

Thanks so much guys. I think this is the fastest I've ever had people reply to anything of mine. I really can't express how truely thankful I am.

I love this place.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now that it's mentioned I do agree the tail is a little bushy and a little busy. I can see how it would draw too much attention.

The front right leg looks much better. The back left leg still has a part of the cannon bone missing. The front left hoof strikes me as too small. Bounce your eyes between the picture and the drawing and compare the hoof shape and size. I think the one in the picture looks a little on the small side too but that's just me. The head looks oodles better.

As a personal preference thing I'd darken up the eyeball a bit more so the expression looks brighter. Right now the eye blends into the rest of the face a bit.

You should draw your mare next. You'll have an easier time finding what's off when you're drawing since you probably know her better. And round pens are a particularly hard place to take pictures I've found. Unless it's a really big round pen the horse is constantly running out of the camera frame. I find a small-ish to medium sized pasture is better.
    What kind of horse is this mare? QHxArab?

"This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy." -Douglas Adams

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MyOrangeHat : Darn tail.... I'll go back again to that. And whoops to the hind leg. Her feet are very tiny and fairly pidgeon-toed, but I could try defining it a bit, maybe that would help. I must have smudged the eye when I fixed the face, so I'll hit that too. They have another horse as well, and I am planning on doing one of him too. I'll see if I can have someone come with me when I take the pics and use their pasture (I can see how that would work soooo much better). Both of thier horses are Morgans, and they are too adorable.
    Eeek, I think if I want to draw my horse, I should probably wait for her to shed out first. She's a huge fuzzball. Lol

Thank you so much!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, I tried fixing the tail again. Unless anyone has any suggestions for what I could do better I think I'm gonna call this done. I don't want to go to bed without spraying it. (My luck we'll have another fire alarm and I'll have to remove a footprint again. Man that sucked.)

Thanks so much for all of the help everyone! I think I'm just gonna come here instead of going to my Professor from now on.

Hugs for everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks much better, especially the head. That front left foot is still bugging me a tad, but it doesn't look bad. I'd say you're probably safe to spray it. Nothing else is jumping out at me anyway. Or you could wait to spray it and see if someone else comes along and sees something that needs fixing. That would be the play it safe move.

They do all look like fuzzy goats this time of year don't they? I have Haflingers and they get positively lost under all that hair. You can actually leave a handprint in their body coat if you just press your hand into it! And then spring they just look moth-eaten and awful for about a month. It's worth all the work of getting off the shedding hair for that wonderful shiny summer coat though.

My Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.