IDW #91: Dragon Harness - Voting

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite entry in this round of IDW!

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • ChristinaMcAllister

0 0%
  • Mr--Jack

19 73.08%
  • Rezeroth

7 26.92%

Thread: IDW #91: Dragon Harness - Voting

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #91: Dragon Harness - Voting

IDW #91 Topic: Dragon Harness

Deadline for voting: Tuesday, February 17

No voting for your own entries! I repeat, no voting for your own entries

Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!

Original thread: IDW #91: Dragon Harness

Name:  IDW logo poll smaller.JPG
Views: 1522
Size:  7.5 KB

Last edited by yoitisi; February 9th, 2009 at 06:10 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon

Name:  IDW91Swordhand.jpg
Views: 1654
Size:  480.6 KB

Manufactured as harnesses for dueling, racing, jousting, etc. Adjustable to fit any average sized courser.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my twist on the topic!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fairly close to my first idea.

Last edited by Mr--Jack; February 9th, 2009 at 04:53 PM.
    it occurs to me that both my emotions and reactions are ill-placed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually stared working on this a while ago..but due to work it was on hold, so yea this was kinda rush towards the end. But it was fun working on this though. Great topic! ..Great job to all!

Last edited by Rezeroth; February 9th, 2009 at 09:24 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IDW 91: Dragon Harness
    Pixie Trick

This type of harness is most often used for the Emperor’s ambassadors and envoys. The metal components are made of high quality brass, while the leather straps are made of ox hide. The neck plates help keep a more natural centre of gravity for the dragon, and also aid in slowing down wear and tear upon the reins by using small rolling cylinders to allow the reins to move freely while being secured from tangling. Each of the saddles are equipped with storage for personal belongings as well as a safety belt for each passenger.

Name:  harness final.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  221.3 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Some small notes on this round:

I decided to be a bit more stricter on the quality check this time, mostly because there are a little more entries than last time and there's a bit of difference in quality between them. I have to say though, it was mostly on quality of finishing the render rather than the ideas themselves.

Swordhand: Seeing as that you posted your final rather early, I'd say you could've spend a little more time on yours. I don't keep pencil work from poll, but I will if it's not finished. It's too sketchy right now.

Darknight: As you already said, you ran out of time on this one. I'd suggest you focus more on edges and making it all a bit sharper next time, it's rather blobby and rough right now.

Pixie Trick: Almost made it to poll, but the lack of definition and detail, especially in the saddle close-ups, made me decide against it. Also, gold usually isn't this yellow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see a round with more than three entries, this time!
    so . . .

Swordhand; fairly solid concept, overall; it all seems to work, and there's a reason behind all of the armour pieces existing, so I suppose I'm agreeing with Yoitisi here in that your rendering's what's holding you back at the moment.
    (Also, I can't quite tell—does the dragon have armour on its front arm? Looks a little odd if it's not..)

ChristinaMcAllister; I'm not sure about yours at the moment; I'm liking concept (sci-fi dragons—what's not to like?) and the rendering's reasonable but I think the dragon's looking too 'blobby' and it really detracts from it. I'm guessing the armour's metal of some sort but at the moment it's looking very grey-plastic, I think (but it's fine if that's what you were going for). There's also a little bit of awkwardness in the choice of design styles; e.g. the almost eldar-style markings and curves clash with the radar dish.

darknight; I'm definitely agreeing with Yoitisi here, it's just too nebulous at the moment. Also, overall I think the idea needs a little more work than just 'rope tied around a dragon's head'. (though I suppose it is a pretty reasonable solution )

Rezeroth; Very nice, I have to say. I suppose one could argue for more rendering but you get the point across very clearly and I think it suits the style—which is seriously nice, I might add. So no crits from me. (though I will ask, is your dragon 2-legged or wingless? Since there are only 4 joints)...

Pixie Trick; It's a good idea, but I think the transparency sort of over-complicates your image, since it's fairly obviously a symmetrical design. A note also on the reins mechanism; with that amount of slack constantly in the reins all the way up the neck any pull would be pretty much inneffective.

it occurs to me that both my emotions and reactions are ill-placed.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr--Jack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits Yoitisi and Mr--Jack. I really should get out a nice shiny new tooney and do a good study or three of gold. In terms of the transparency, I had gotten suggestions from several family members that the design should have a dragon in it (brothers are a pain ), and I couldn't think of another quick way to do it. Hmm... next time I won't listen to them... whahaha.... The reins can just be pulled tight as well, but I can see having ridiculous amounts of rein being left over once that was done. Thanks again both of you.

I'm going to agree with Mr--Jack's crits. I can't really think of too much more to say. It's great to see some more entries, and good work all round. Thanks Yoitisi for putting up the ones that didn't make it to poll so we can get some crits and advice.

Members who have read this thread: 1